Liverpool vs Real Madrid, Champions League Final @ Stade de France, 8pm in the UK [7pm GMT]

Dear Jurgen and Team,

You are our heros. This has been one of the most amazing seasons in living memory for many fans. We’re all behind you, bring it home.

29 Likes

Do spelling mistakes bring good or bad luck?

Sorry, I’ve lost my copy of ‘Thread Starting for Dummies’.

2 Likes

Isn’t it 8pm GMT?

Fingers crossed Fabinho is fit :crossed_fingers:. There is very little chance of Thiago so Henderson, Fabinho and Naby with Mo,Sadio and Diaz up front and Matip and Virgil at CB.

1 Like

Isn’t it 7pm GMT/UTC, and 8pm BST?

2 Likes

If he isn’t fit, then presumably Henerson at DM with Keita plus one other? Jones or Milner?

You can be heroes

That’s what I make it so have edited the thread title.

Indeed a mess. Hopefully our defence will be more organised with their high line than TAN with kick offs.

In the UK it’s 8pm BST (which is UTC+1)

France is currently in UTC+2. So for those lucky to have a ticket they should be in the stadium for a 9pm kick off local time.

GMT is a time zone that the UK follows for half a year from the last Sunday in October. GMT is the same as UTC in practice. So if you are in Mane’s home town, you could put the kick off as 7pm GMT.

Yours,

Statto impersonator

6 Likes

I now literally have no idea what time it is :joy:

I’ve just put it as 8pm in the UK, 7pm GMT

That should be clear for everyone.

1 Like

James Pearce on Thiago’s injury. I’m crossing various body parts as I type this.

6 Likes

Hence why I always list it in the style of

2000 BST (UTC +1)

so it should be clear as mud.

1 Like

7 Likes

Athletes in general usually carry small niggles without issue.

The problem would be if we have several players that are not fully 100%. VVD has been rested the past two games to be ready for this one. I feel that he will probably play through a small injury. Same with Fab. We’ll know more of the Thiago situation in the next few days.

We still have the core of players from the same fixture in 2018. Real also have basically the same midfield. I wouldn’t be surprised if we start with Mane, Bobby and Salah, with Diaz coming on for the first change.

In the run up to the 2018, too many were saying Real would tire and not be able to cope. Well, they coped by using the dark arts. We are much more experienced now.

This game will be fun.

2 Likes

Or we lose 1 or 2 early doors, fucking up the game plan

“Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so”

Douglas Adams.

5 Likes

Champions League Final 2022 rules

• 90 minutes
  • 30 minutes of extra time if necessary
  • Penalty shoot-out if scores still level
  • Twelve named substitutes
  • Maximum of five substitutions, with a sixth allowed in extra time

So at least if we do have injuries, our strong bench can come into play.

Speaking of injuries, the 1981 final against Real at the Parc des Princes in Paris, we had Dalglish and Alan Kennedy both coming back after lay offs.

8 Likes

If we win the three cups without actually scoring a goal in 360 minutes, will that be a unique achievement? :thinking:

6 Likes

Let’s batter these cunts. For me the only question is over midfield, and it would be even assuming everyone was fit. VvD was on the bench on the weekend so hopefully he’ll be ok for this with another week.

It’s just a question of who are the three in the middle because otherwise the team picks itself

Alisson
Trent Konate Virgil Robertson
? ? ?
Salah Mane Diaz

For me, I’d be going with Keita Henderson and Thiago

That’s even if Fabinho is fit. He just hasn’t looked particularly good lately whereas I think those three would cause Real Madrid’s three from the four of Casemiro, Kroos, Modric, Valverde real problems.

Klopp may fancy the experience of Matip over Konate but I’m hoping he goes with the big lad for the added threat from corners and physical presence.

With the likes of Tsimikas, Jones, Elliott, Milner, Jota, Firmino, Origi [Ah, shame, I see Klopp’s ruled him out] Minamino, we’ve got plenty of options on the bench to change things up if necessary.

4 Likes