Liverpool vs Real Madrid| CL Round of 16| Tuesday 21st February, 20:00 | Anfield

Madrid have been pretty sub par recently, form pretty up and down since the world cup…hopefully them playing out in the CWC has taken some energy from them, more clutching at straws here to give us any advantage but ultimately can only see them comfortably going through.

They are the know hows of this competition.

This is a must not lose match, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Ideally we need a 2 goal lead to defend to take into the 2nd leg, because we haven’t a hope on god’s flat earth seeing a game out at the Bernabau.

2-0 win at Anfield, 1-0/2-1 loss at Bernabau…doubt we can but let’s see.

I saw some prat on Facebook saying that we should rest players in this and concentrate on top 4. FFS the whole point of top 4 is to play in this damn thing.

I suspect with that mindset that he lives with Evertonians. Commiserations.

9 Likes

You’ve got it all wrong, mate. The point of finishing in the top four is so that you can sign big names in the summer.

5 Likes

Brendan Rodgers?

3 Likes

I’d be happy enough with anything other than a defeat. Keep the second leg alive and see what happens. We’re due a bit of luck against these fuckers.

6 Likes

Agree. Wish we would play the second leg at Anfield.

The key thing is to maintain our intensity and alertness till the final whistle.

£10 to the charity of your choice says we go through. Have a little faith mate, it’ll be fine :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I can actually see is drawing at home and doing the old snatch and grab at the Barnebau. Something RM are due having go against them.

Surely that depends on whether we have any to start with.
We want intensity and players on the ball from start to finish and over 2 legs. None of this it’s another match, no it’s 1st half and second half. No get to it lads!!! :pleading_face:

I’m sure that Jürgen and his team will know the personnel,formation and tactics to see us through this game. COYR YNWA :+1: :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Matip or Gomez is probably the only decision that needs to be made here. Firmino and Jota don’t appear to be ready, especially Jota.

Hoping Nunez is fit, this is the type of game he should thrive in.

2-1 Liverpool.

3 Likes

Feel it might actually work in our favour to be playing at home in the first leg… We got to attack early and get a lead

Pretty sure Klopps plan was to play Matip for this one.

It’s not like Gomez has played particularly well but two clean sheets is maybe a bit of consistency we can try to build on.

He was faultless against Everton, and made one minor positional error against Newcastle.

The opinions on this lad are absurd.

4 Likes

What’s absurd is you jumping on any criticism of him and making out he has been impressive.

He was excellent against Everton. He was not good yesterday. His form overall has been poor.

Matip also hasn’t impressed this season. If Konate was fit it wouldn’t be a tough decision for Klopp.

Unfortunately Matip has arguably been worse than Gomez in his recent performances. Partnering him back up with van Dijk, who will do all his communication for him, will hopefully be helpful because when he is with Gomez or Konate he doesn’t look half as good.

1 Like

Matip always plays better with Virgil as his partner probably has a better understanding.
Gomez is a strange one for me, he has a good game and then a mediocre one, at least he is staying fit which is good.

2 Likes