Liverpool vs Real Madrid| CL Round of 16| Tuesday 21st February, 20:00 | Anfield

Not worried that much about who plays between Gomez and Matip. It is van Dijk who has really has to perform. Can’t see us gaining anything if he doesn’t set the tone.

Unfortunately, he’s been poor for his standards and he is coming off an injury.

1 Like

I’m surprised they are following the football doesn’t that type of fan disappear until the window reopens.

1 Like

One would hope so.

So, after decades of not meeting them (from '81 to '08), now we have quite a number of games against them. Some horrible or unlucky defeats…

But I naturally want these games, every season. Would be good to at least beat them well in a game or two here to make the team feel better not long after that sad Paris night on many levels.

We actually played alright in that return leg in 2021, when I really didn’t expect us to qualify with the horrible situation at CB. It was just too much, but we put up a good fight, albeit without creating enough chances. Let’s try and replicate something similar (or improve on it), this time in front of a full Anfield crowd and obviously a more balanced team this time.

Shame Konate isn’t fit, he was very good in Paris against that dangerous channel/link between Benzema and Vini.

I actually think he might keep Gomez ahead of Matip. Matip looked rusty in the last few outings, Gomez even if not impressing (or inconsistent at best), has more minutes in him right now. Which is useful, with Virgil just back last night. Gomez had his typical performance last night, no MOTD mistakes this time, but again retreating and leaving opponents too much room. Think Klopp will opt for his mobility ahead of Matip’s lack of rhythm right now.

But I find it very interesting if Real will be without Tchouameni, that’s maybe a chance for us. Let’s see them without Casemiro for once and potentially without Tchouameni also (even if it’s just for 1 game). They used to beat our press by dropping Kroos deep in the build up phase, release the pressure of Casemiro. I’d like to try and hurt them “behind” the backs of Modric and Kroos, so I want defensive activity and popping up to receive passes from Gakpo or Bobby. Try the false 9 once again, maybe we have better luck this time.

I guess we’ll know more when we hear from Ancelotti tomorrow.

Also, Bajcetic most probably directly up against Modric (who gets extra cover from Valverde off the right side). What a night for the kid, chance to prove himself and also test himself against the best.

6 Likes

A bit conflicted about what the starting XI should be. On one hand, I want the XI that got two consecutive wins (and clean-sheets :blush:). On the other hand, this will be the third of nine games in 34 days; so a fair bit of rotation would be necessary.

Hopefully there will be some returnees to the squad in that time.

Tchoumeni and Kroos not traveling.

5 Likes

Trent needs to stay disciplined… If he gets a yellow card he misses the return game

1 Like

Nice, that’s what I was most interested of Real’s team news.

Real without Casemiro, but then also without his replacement in Tchouameni and then also without the player who was/is basically their backup #6 in Kroos.

They might now have to play someone like Camavinga in that role. Move Valverde off the side into midfield, in which case it means that Modric is moving from RCM to LCM (Hendo on him instead of Bajcetic). The only other senior midfield option is Ceballos.

Chance for us to cause them problems in that area.

3 Likes

Confirmed:

1 Like

I hope Ancelotti starts at CB.

1 Like

He’ll probably fair better than our CB’s this season.

Bajcetic to be man/boy of the match tomorrow… Bet he is itching to play against these

1 Like

Good call, hope he keeps a lid on it though.

2 Likes

Don’t you love it, these games are what it’s all about. Going in with a bit of confidence after the last two results, even if performance wise we are still no where near our best. I Expect to see the same line up, but hoping Jota and Bobby can come off the bench and really hurt Real.

Bring it on!

Referee

István Kovács ROU

Assistant referees

Vasile Florin Marinescu ROU

Ovidiu Artene ROU

Fourth official

Horatiu Fesnic ROU

Video Assistant Referee

Massimiliano Irrati ITA

Assistant Video Assistant Referee

Marco Guida ITA

Never heard of them.

They’re big fans of you :slight_smile:

He was the referee for the Cheaty-Madrid match. Last years semi final.

Yeah, I’m horrible with referees.

I just see mistakes, but can’t remember any names nor faces. I couldn’t tell you 3 active referees in world football right now and even less about their style(?) or anything like that.

Prefer it like that actually.

1 Like