Liverpool vs Southampton: FA Cup fifth round, February 28, Wednesday, 20:00

I think he and Koumas are kind of rotating who gets to be involved. Gordon got Luton, Koumas got Chelsea. Maybe they’ll both be involved here in some way.

They’ve both been playing really well for the U21s.

8 Likes

He is a kid.

Was wondering whether to explain the joke or not

2 Likes

In this squad? Bradley is practically the grizzled, bullet chewing veteran who doesn’t bother to learn the new guys name because he knows they’ll be dead tomorrow.

5 Likes

Sort of hope not.

God knows how he is nowadays.

Draw for the next round will take place 15 minutes before our game starts.

2 Likes

I have no idea who we play at this point, but if there was anyway to forfeit this without sending out a bunch of 16 year olds to get battered, I would take it in a heartbeat.

No way we would ever forfeit it. We are Liverpool.

And I would fully trust our U8s to win.

6 Likes

Nah, we don’t need to be that radical in terms of changes.

We cannot invent a whole new team from the one that played at Wembley.

1 Like

I think we’ll play a bunch of the kids but I don’t expect to see many, if any, “new” kids in there. Something like…

Kelleher
Bradley Quansah Gomez Tsimikas
Clark McConnell MacAllister
Gakpo Danns Gordon

Bench: Adrian; vDijk, Konate, Robertson, Elliott, Nyoni, Diaz, Koumas, Szoboszlai (?)

I have no idea which first teamers are going to be available though. If Salah is fit I expect he starts and then we can switch Gakpo to the left.

2 Likes

Agree.

The question is where?

Agreed. I think we would very much rather consider playing the entire U18s than forfeit. After last night, I’d imagine so many of the youth team would be eagerly anticipating their turn, it doesn’t matter what the result is.

I’m wondering if we’ll see both Bradley and Gomez on the pitch at the same time. I think we’ll probably try to eke out an hour from each of them at most.

1 Like

Forfeit? FORFEIT?!?!

This is LFC…we only play to win, did yesterday not teach learn you anything?

3 Likes

I think Bradley, Clark, McConnell, Quansah, Danns can probably all go again. Tsimikas is probably OK. Robbo might be able to come on late?

Not sure what else there is? What I do know is Kelleher, Gomez, Van Dijk, Konate, Endo, Mac Allister, Gakpo and Diaz should be nowhere near this.

Maybe Szobozslai, Salah and Nunez will be OK to come on late?

1 Like

Wait until you see what I have in mind for the Europa League. :rofl:

We have to cut our cloth accordingly. If we had a squad with everyone fit and two great elevens to choose from, then we can relish the compete of fronts thing.

But we are down to the bare bones. We lost Gravenberch yesterday, and Endo left the stadium with his foot in a protective boot.

We do not need the FA Cup in our lives.

‘This is LFC’ is all good and well until we run out of gas at the finish line and City win the league by a point. I want this title more than anything, for Klopp more than anything, and we simply do not have the resources to chase on four fronts. This is now an 11 game sprint to the finish line. Everything now is about that.

2 Likes

I think that is about it. At the CB, we do not have much of a choice, as Virg and Ibou played 120’ and 105’, respectively. So Klopp will probably play Bradley for about 60’ and then take him off for Ibou.

McConnell and Clark should be two definite midfield starters. Elliott and Endo should of course NOT start after playing 120’ yesterday. Endo might even be injured FFS - that is why I am not sure if we shall risk Mac Allister since we only have him and Elliott somehow fit of the senior midfielders and a much more important league match is on Saturday already. I would rather start Nyoni and keep Mac on the bench, at least from the start. Dom should not be risked anyway.

An alternative solution could be switch to 4-2-3-1 formation with Gakpo acting as no.10, with kids all around him (Gordon RW, Danns up top and Koumas/Scanlon LW).

We have much bigger fish to fry this season than the FA cup and we simply have to rotate here.

1 Like

This is the sort of season where Jürgen will run out of players, throw a few kids on, and then miraculously win the game.

Believe.

4 Likes

Experience.

I’m guessing if he’s fit he and Mac Allister will be swapping just so he gets some minutes to work his way back in.

I think we’re generally not fond of leaving kids on their own without someone with more experience guiding them, and we don’t like bringing players back immediately without giving them a few minutes here and there first. So on that count it makes sense to have Mac Allister and Szoboszlai feature in this match if they can.

1 Like

Bear in mind a win here postpones the Derby to April or May, when we could welcome some of the players back.

And well, the kids, as we witnessed yesterday, were capable of beating a PL side. I think they may be able to defeat a (probably rotated) Championship side.

4 Likes