Liverpool vs Sparta Prague: EL R16, March 14, 20:00

The other thing is whether Sparta will come with their full strength team against us. They are still in a fight to win their respective league with only one point seperating them from their closest competitor.

The last thing they’d want is to come here with a full strength team and then lose a key player out due to injury. Especially when there’s little chance of them actually progressing through

I don’t think their strikers actually know how to put the ball in the net despite young Bradley’s lesson the other day. We’ve trusted the youth so far and they’ve done admirably well. Need to trust them to keep Sparta relatively quiet for a good 60 minutes as well.

2 Likes

With all due respect, their players will all be dreaming of playing at Anfield. It could be a once in a lifetime type of thing for them. They’ll want to come and put on a show they can tell their grandchildren about.

1 Like

Sure. The players would well be thinking of that. It’s just that the coaching staff might not share the same sentiments.

The 1-5 gives us a great chance to rotate around half a team here, though not in all positions of course. No chance we do that. Then go full strength at United.

And it isn’t as if we’ll be starting with the all kids lineup that Klopp fielded against Aston Villa a couple of years back. We’ll still be having 4-5 first teamers starting Kelleher , Quansah , Gomez , Tsimikas , Elliot/Dom and Gakpo.

I think it will be something like…

Kelleher
Bradley Gomez Quansah Tsimikas
McConnell
Szobozslai Clark
Gordon Gakpo Danns

Sub on Salah, Diaz, Elliott, Robbo, Nunez late on.

I don’t think Van Dijk or Mac Allister should be anywhere near this.

It’s really important to get some centre back minutes into Gomez. We might need him there before the season is out.

2 Likes

I’d have them on the bench. We do have room to rotate but I still want a Plan B if something goes wrong. That 5:1 result in Prague, frankly, flattered us.

1 Like

Play Klopp’s Kids…

Diaz, Macca, VVD and Endo shouldn’t see any action at all.

Cameo or extended mins for Gakpo, Nunez Salah and Dom to improve their sharpness and fitness.

Yeah a rotated side not a complete U23s.

There are couple of players who shouldn’t be near this game but it’s only 2-3.

It actually will do!

3 Likes

Sensible lineup. However, my idea is different from yours.

First 50 minutes if the score line remains as it is or LFC have scored 2 or more goals in the first 50 minutes and secured qualification :
Kelleher
Bradley Gomez Quansah Robbo
McConnell
Szobozslai Clark
Salah Danns Gakpo

After 50 minutes after the scenario has passed as mentioned above:

Kelleher
Chambers (as inverted RB) Gomez Quansah Tsimikas
McConnell
Hill Clark
Gordon Danns Koumas

Sparta Prague need to score 5 more goals more than Liverpool to win this tie (or 4 more and then the penalty shootout)

I think that’s very very unlikely.

Rest all the players who need rest and are some way away from full match fitness. Play the kids.

If by chance , we get thrashed at Anfield even then , then good on Sparta.

2 Likes

For all your obsession with transfers, it’s quite ironic that you don’t know that Chambers is out on loan.

Not how I see it.

I want to go through, if there is one cup that we won’t be screwed in it’s this.

I actually put the FA Cup less than this.

Certain players shouldn’t be playing this but I wouldn’t shove a youth squad out.

1 Like

I refer you to the 2016 final in Basle.

I had a nightmare in which we had put out a youth team and were 7-1 down with a few minutes to go.
I was wandering around in a post apocalyptic hellscape (Warrington maybe?) trying to find a TV in a state of panic.
I awoke to find my cold had developed into a fully fledged snotfest and my throat was full of phlegm.
My posts today may be even less coherent than usual.

1 Like

Kelleher
Bradley Quansah Gomez ©️Robertson
Elliott MacAllister Szoboszlai
Salah Danns Gakpo

Subs

Off: Bradley, Robertson, MacAllister, Szoboszlai, Danns

On: van Dijk, Tsimikas, Endo, Diaz, Nunez

So we finish the match with

Kelleher
Gomez Quansah ©️VvD Tsimikas
Elliott Endo Gakpo
Salah Nunez Diaz

Not sure if Danns is available.

Elliott only player in the competition to play every minute possible - maybe that’s a thing.

Salah not going to Egypt - so he might play the full 90 here and start vs United again.

Then we can start vs ManU with

Kelleher
Bradley Konate VvD Robertson
Szoboszlai Endo MacAllister
Salah Nunez Diaz

x men comfort GIF

1 Like

Still more coherent than many others though.

(see above)

Haha @Notasuperfan