Loan Watch: 2021/22

June 2022 :smirk:

1 Like

Some genius gave him a 6-year deal when we signed him.

:joy:

1 Like

Jesus Christ. 6 year contracts really??? Doubt he will want to leave, can’t seem to find form on loan. Markovic - esque situation

Mignolet fluffing regularly
Young promising GK
Decent track record
Low transfer fee
Low wage demand

What could go wrong :thinking: :grimacing:

van den Berg starts for PNE
Wilson starts for Cardiff, subbed at 71 mins while Ojo came off the bench at 71 mins
Elliott starts for Blackburn, subbed at 72 mins

In other news, Solanke scored for Bournemouth.

Have anyone watched Sepp van den Berg recently? He played the last 10 games for PNE, as RB.

Interesting. I remember Joe Gomez played a lot in RB/LB during his early years too, before settling in his preferred position, CB.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/sepp-van-den-berg-pleased-to-showcase-abilities-in-his-favoured-position-for-preston-3205063

1 Like

Takumi Minamino hasn’t played a minute so far in April. It’s not like Southampton has done well without him. Not good enough for PL???

Little hype around his early goal or two, not played much since.

We’ll see what all parties decide this summer.

I find this a bit odd. Japanese players generally speaking have decent technique and work hard. Given he came from Red Bull it would increase the likelihood he brings these strengths, so it’s odd he can’t get any playing time - unless there is a question about the physicality of the league…

Stylistically + price he was an interesting try, not a high risk gamble. Professional, full international. But he’s perhaps one of those always expected few who find the jump between a RB Salzburg and Liverpool/the PL (without the step “in between”, par example the Bundesliga) a bit too much. Nothing shocking for me. He can be likeable and try very hard, but just find this level too high. And we can’t wait forever.

1 Like

I watched the early Southampton games in which he was a starter. Basically, he was shunted out wide left of midfield to do a job.

Was tasked with defensive duties, tracking back, and making forward runs.

His best position is more central. Still think he should have got some time in the last 15 mins of our games replacing Bobby. Would’ve liked to have seen him have some time in the deep false nine position.

2 Likes

In the first few games, I think he did play alongside/behind Ings in that second striker role. Maybe he wasn’t good enough to remain there. Like here with us. Going by his style, central might be his best position… but he may have to do a job in one of the inside channels. It’s not a big deal for me. We tried it, it was a low risk transfer, if our staff judges they’ve seen enough and would like to sell him for similar or a bit more money, then we might do it.

1 Like

2 goals from Wilson so far this afternoon.

2 Likes

His first goal was something really special.

4 Likes

Hat-trick today.

Harry Wilson scored a brilliant hat-trick as Cardiff City strolled to a comfortable win at Birmingham City.

The Liverpool loanee gave the visitors an early lead with a beautifully clipped effort off the outside of his left foot from long range.

Wilson then curled a clever free-kick around the Blues’ wall to put Cardiff 2-0 up at half-time.

Substitute Mark Harris powered in a third before Wilson completed his hat-trick with another superb free-kick.

That was the 24-year-old Wales attacking midfielder’s first hat-trick of his senior career.

Edit;

Harry Wilson 10

His finest performance yet. His first was a wonderstrike and then two trademark free-kicks. If this is how he signs off then it would be fitting. Simply incredible.

3 Likes

Well done Harry :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

So that’s 7 goals and 12 assists in 37 games.

Come on Harry, we need £££!

2 Likes

If we are going to be a bit more flexible with formation (straying away from 433 with a false 9 and offensive wide forwards a bit more) he could still be a useful option, a something different type, for us.

With Jones ready for an even more influential role and Elliott and Wilson coming back from loan we could afford to let all of Ox, Shaqiri and Minamino move on from those attacking midfield roles we don’t use that often saving significantly on wages and generating some cash towards recruits.