Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

I was told my body had gone into starvation mode. I was very tired, suffering with brain fog and found a simple bike ride hard work. So because I wasnt eating enough and what I did eat wasnt great - my body stored fat as it wasn’t getting energy or protein.

This woman has a load of clients (inc wife) who have lost a lot of weight. Good thing is its easy to manage going forward. Just make sure you hit calories and protein and its all good.

2 Likes

Interesting, I’m obviously in no position to argue with your trainer as it’s clearly working. The advice almost sounds counter intuitive but thn 1600 is crazy low, rock bottom territory. Were you hungry with that level of intake?

I’m just becoming increasingly interested in all of this at the moment, while trying to keep it all as basic and simple as possible in my mind.

I’ve got a little bit to go on my journey, just need to knuckle down to the final push, basically to prove to myself what’s possible without going to extreme levels of stupidity or locking myself in a cupboard.

Oddly I wasnt hungry when only eating 1600 so I found it a real struggle to eat 2500 for first few weeks.

It is counter intuitive because its not really right. Metabolic rate will slow down with periods of caloric restriction. but the extent to which this happens is massively overblown by “practioners” meaning no grown adult male is gaining weight on 1600kcal a day. However, this diagnosis of the problem still lends itself to a practical solution that is often beneficial - making someone more conscious of dietary intake with a focus on prioritizing the right foods.

I did wonder as I did some very quick reading during lunch earlier. Didn’t get very far but saw enough to make me wonder.

So after the snapped foot, finally had a good run at football tonight. Felt bloody wonderful. Going to suffer tomorrow but hell, use your body whilst it still works.

1 Like

Spencer is one of the best Obesity Medicine doctors around and thought this post was relevant to this discussion

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsbPUqKu6EJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Luckily I’m a numbers guy by nature and like keeping track of things. I usually err on the safer side, so will apportion more calories on my tracker if in doubt. The scanner on MyFitnessPal is a huge help as is my food scale in the kitchen.

Had a fitness breakthrough today. I was able to run 30 70-yard sprints within 50 minutes (each about 75% of max effort on average). Helped that I had the best nights sleep I’ve had in a while last night

2 Likes

I could do with one of those.
A few weeks back I thought things were going great. Until that was I went for a mountain biking session with guys after work.

Before setting out I’d have put myself as fitter than all bar two. I was wrong, I couldn’t keep up with any of them. And I’ve absolutely no idea why.

It’s not hard to count.

I was thinking along those lines. Not sure what people are doing. If you want to be accurate you absolutely can be. Otherwise you’re just cheating yourself

The anecdote isnt about someone trying to count and failing. Its one about when you’re not conscious of what you consume the recall is typically really bad leading to people massively underestimating what they are actually eating.

This is why one of the most effective short term interventions is asking people to track. Even without providing any dietary guidance on what to eat, simply putting someone in a position where they are more conscious about their consumption has been shown to cut intake, and very often in amounts similar to described in that story.

But that’s kind of an obvious thing isn’t it? Calories mount up dramatically if you don’t track. It’s easy to have things that are calorie-dense but not very filling.

And yet…

I think education about nutrition is lacking in school curricula

1 Like

Then you don’t need a dietician, you need a shrink. Or an education. How can a person with an IQ over ambient temperature be unconscious of what they consume?

If only the world was as smart as you think you are

Cognitive dissonance

It’s not cognitive dissonance. If I showed you a piece of wood with a mark on it and later asked you how far from the end the mark was you would expect the eyeballed estimate to not be reliable. You wouldn’t treat that reality as some sort of failing, so why do the same with food recall?