Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

I knew someone who swore he lived off three pints of Guinness a day and nothing else. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I can’t verify this, but I certainly never saw him eat or drink anything else and he lived to be 91 and was fit as a butcher’s dog until the day he died.

My mam used to say her doctor told her she had bad blood,so he told her to drink a bottle of Guinness a day.
She did like a drink but Guinness wasn’t her thing so i don’t think she was making it up.

Finally out of goals in 5 a side, foot still killing but structurally sound. Played last night, oh the pain.

Many moons ago I knew a guy who’s breakfast consisted on a Tennants Super or something like that. Similarly, I dont think he actually ate anything either. He did run up tabs wherever he went though. When I knew him he went to the doctor for some reason and the Doc told him to stop drinking, so he did. Stopped it dead. A day later he collapsed from exhaustion / malnutrition or stuff along those lines. He’d forgotten the eating part apparently.

Cant say if that’s true or not as i never saw him again. Quite some character though. He worked on the Conway Tunnel job and was banned from driving (drink), and tried to get the contractor to buy him a jet ski so he could continue his work on the other side of the estuary over the Christmas break. He did not get a jet ski for Christmas.

Under 80 for the first time since… too long. Only been doing cardio though, planning to add some weight training soon when I’m not on a huge calorie deficit.

https://twitter.com/90sfootball/status/1657747604007170050

i put on a shitload of weight in last 6 months.
Went to see a nutritionist at my wifes gym who told me I wasnt eating enough - i was only eating 1600 calories a day and no protein.
So for first 3 weeks I was on between 2250 and 2750 (2500 the goal) calories but i had to have 170g of protein a day and do at least 7500 steps a day.
i can eat what i want but i must hit the170g of protein every day.
The weight is coming off really nicely and now i am on between between 2025 and 2475 (2250 the goal) calories plus protein and steps remain the same.
I still have 5 weeks to go with her guidence and then at the end she gives me maintenance calories and protein to cary on with after i give her my weight at the end. i had to weigh myself at the start and take 3 pics of myself from front, side and back and will do the same after 8 weeks.

1 Like

that was filmed where i live - romford

Why no protein? Just curious

Something sounds quite bizarre about the advice you were given. It’s clearly working so who am I to argue but something doesn’t quite site right if you know what I mean?

Good on you though.

Well not no protein, but very little protein. I was eating 1600 calories of nothing great and about 20g of protein.

I was told my body had gone into starvation mode. I was very tired, suffering with brain fog and found a simple bike ride hard work. So because I wasnt eating enough and what I did eat wasnt great - my body stored fat as it wasn’t getting energy or protein.

This woman has a load of clients (inc wife) who have lost a lot of weight. Good thing is its easy to manage going forward. Just make sure you hit calories and protein and its all good.

2 Likes

Interesting, I’m obviously in no position to argue with your trainer as it’s clearly working. The advice almost sounds counter intuitive but thn 1600 is crazy low, rock bottom territory. Were you hungry with that level of intake?

I’m just becoming increasingly interested in all of this at the moment, while trying to keep it all as basic and simple as possible in my mind.

I’ve got a little bit to go on my journey, just need to knuckle down to the final push, basically to prove to myself what’s possible without going to extreme levels of stupidity or locking myself in a cupboard.

Oddly I wasnt hungry when only eating 1600 so I found it a real struggle to eat 2500 for first few weeks.

It is counter intuitive because its not really right. Metabolic rate will slow down with periods of caloric restriction. but the extent to which this happens is massively overblown by “practioners” meaning no grown adult male is gaining weight on 1600kcal a day. However, this diagnosis of the problem still lends itself to a practical solution that is often beneficial - making someone more conscious of dietary intake with a focus on prioritizing the right foods.

I did wonder as I did some very quick reading during lunch earlier. Didn’t get very far but saw enough to make me wonder.

So after the snapped foot, finally had a good run at football tonight. Felt bloody wonderful. Going to suffer tomorrow but hell, use your body whilst it still works.

1 Like

Spencer is one of the best Obesity Medicine doctors around and thought this post was relevant to this discussion

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsbPUqKu6EJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Luckily I’m a numbers guy by nature and like keeping track of things. I usually err on the safer side, so will apportion more calories on my tracker if in doubt. The scanner on MyFitnessPal is a huge help as is my food scale in the kitchen.

Had a fitness breakthrough today. I was able to run 30 70-yard sprints within 50 minutes (each about 75% of max effort on average). Helped that I had the best nights sleep I’ve had in a while last night

2 Likes