Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

Had a personal milestone yesterday. I had to quit football because of hip problems and I’ve had to be very discerning over activities Ive done since. One day Im fine and the next Im groaning getting out of bed. Weight training has been generally ok because there is a controlled aspect to it, and is something you can scale according to how you’re feeling. But even with that, there have been periodic flare ups, and sometimes, especially with the squat, months of fair ever present pain. Anyway, yesterday I hit a number that isn’t technically the biggest I’ve ever hit, but every other time in my life I have ever been in this territory it has been in the midst of a flare up - the stress required to build up to this was always too much to keep the flare up away. Yesterday was the first time I’ve ever hit it completely pain free.

2 Likes

Happy for you mate! I know the feeling

Followed by a fairly intensive 2 hour sit down

1 Like

Now we know why we didn’t sign anyone in January :pensive:

2023 going well so far. Lost whatever I gained around Christmas and New Year’s + 5.5kg.

1 Like

Also happy here. Decent progress even if the weight isn’t coming down as fast as I’d like but my body is changing in the right way. Far leaner than I was. Still doing 4 gym sessions a week, back running 2x per week and climbing on Tuesdays.

Walks etc at the weekend and hope to get a little surfing, cycling, climbing or kiting in as we get more light in the evenings etc.

New running shoes today as that achilles is stiffening back up a touch. Great to have a proper fitting but when did running shoes get so technical? I refused to buy socks

1 Like

Try having feet so wide that fittings are pointless. It’s 4E or bust here.

Happier days.

Down to 176lbs now which was my prime weight in my rugby days but I still have a long way to go. What is evident is the amount of muscle I’ve lost over the years, so from now on it’s less about the scales but more about how much I can pinch. It’s slow but trying to remain positive about the progress.

So still working to maintain a calorie deficit, the early morning gym, and now the clocks have turned just being more active. I’m not particularly bothered with protein intake etc, just calories and when I have my caffeine.

2 Likes

Plateaued in March so cut my carbs and started going on longer walks. Ended up losing 4.5kg in 2 weeks so may have overdone it a bit. Not that I’m complaining. Well on course of hitting my goal weight in the summer.

3 Likes

Big day yesterday. Gym at 6am, then to work followed by an intense hour on the mountain bike on some trails.

Really happy with the increased power thanks to all the training but ran out gas after 45 minutes. Not surprising after leg day Tuesday and cardio yesterday but I do need to get “bike fit”

Hoping for a big Spring / Summer activity wise.

4 Likes

Currently running round at work too much to even think about all this. Broken foot doesn’t help but looking to play in goal on tuesday night 5-side

1 Like

I do see the resemblance.

Diet was all over the place the past month but I’m active enough these days so it didn’t matter too much, another 4.5kg down. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

been on the treadmill daily for 3mo now, usually only a mile or two just to stay active as the sched is so busy. 10-15min of yoga/stretching before work. swapped out breakfasts for a shake. haven’t moved a bit off 90kg the whole time. bit trimmer, stronger but the weight doesn’t budge.

There are LOTs of benefits to this level of regular activity. Weight loss is very unlikely to be among them unfortunately. Exercise in general is not a great tool by itself to promote weight loss (can help lock in the benefits of actions, but not by itself), but when it is it has to be at much greater amounts than this (this the volume and intensity of work required to get a player back in match fitness for a prem game)

2 Likes

not terribly worried about the weight, except for how heavy I feel on my feet these days as I near 50. Not as agile as I was even 5yrs ago playing masters footy and have lost a bit of spring in my step. Decided to ease myself back into a routine instead of shocking my system and risking an injury, and my very poor flexibility from nearly 30yrs at a desk job is being aided by the yoga a TON. can’t recommend it enough.

Set myself up a small gym in the spare bedroom, will start on a plyometrics program combined with weights for pre-work routine sometime this summer.

1 Like

Boy have I learned @Limiescouse’s thoughts the hard way. Calorie deficit is pretty much the only way.

I can’t advocate weight training enough. That’s been a massive key for me in changing how I live to actually relieving those little niggles etc.

I have been astounded at how weak I had become and in certain aspects still am. My power levels on a bike for example have become beyond puny. Part of me wants to blame the bike but that would be pretty lame, so I can’t.

But I might have to look at a new one just to confirm that it is me that’s shit.

2 Likes

Started back on the treadmill myself today.Shiftwork makes it difficult to get into a routine but if i can get 3/4 days a week i’ll be happy.Going to maybe reduce the alcohol intake to see does that help at all.

1 Like

James Ransone Sacrilege GIF by The Roku Channel

I know but it’ll be last resort stuff,I’m planning on cutting out all food first.
There’s eatin and drinkin in Guinness anyway .