Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

I meant to win it.

This will do for now, though.

If your plan is to win it your best bet is to either enter a race where you lie about your age or you hobble as many of the other runners at the starting line as you can (Wacky Races style)

The first 10 to 15 minutes of a run are the hardest.

Took me around that time. I’ve commented on that here. I mean finishing it within 1:30-1:35.

Winning times often are within 1:15 in my area. That’s beyond me.

1 Like

Nah, it wasn’t that. I’d do a 15 minute run and be sore for a month. Couldn’t even play tennis without it flaring up. Shin splints.

Touch wood, but I haven’t even had a hint of that yet. A bit of achilles soreness/tightness so far but that’s it.

As for a half marathon, I guess 2 hours is probably a reasonable goal for a first go. There’s one here on Paddy’s day next year (17 March), tempting…

Yep. This along with the necessary gait analysis.

I’ve done that before, ended up with the least comfortable and most expensive trainers I’ve ever owned.

From what I can tell, it’s uneccessary at best and snake oil at worst.

I had my analysis done by a podiatrist because I was having issues. The advice pretty much fixed the issues within a few weeks.

Having your gait analysed by some kid at The Athlete’s Foot, you’re bang on…pass.

Meant doing it by the professionals.

I’ve bought a couple of pairs of zero-drop shoes recently. Chuck Taylors and some minimalist/barefoot style boots for walking the dog.

I’ve had discomfort in my left knee for 14 years due to a football injury. The zero drop shoes provide instant and almost total relief compared to shoes with a raised heel like boots or other trainers.

No plans to switch out my running shoes for zero drop, but for walking I won’t wear anything else now.

1 Like

Just did a 2.5km run in 12 minutes. I’ll be back to snails pace tomorrow but today , the body felt in rhythm for a change.

2 Likes

Did a 10km in 50 min. Still about 5 min away from my best. But it’s a start.

1 Like

Cool stuff @Sithbare

I rowed 7k this morning (machine) in sub 35 minutes. I’m also back working on a calorie deficit with the diet and still doing gym sessions roughly 4 days a week. I want to walk / hike more at the weekends if weather allows.

2 Likes

100% agreed.
Sorry @ILLOK , but you’ll have to bin your Tesco two stripes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feeling really good at the moment. I think the habit of really watching portion size and diet content is helping enormously. Really being strict with sleep too.

Leg day yesterday, went well but felt strong enough for a 5k run this morning. Nothing earth shattering time wise (over 30 minutes) but the joy was how comfortable it was. Heart monitor confirmed that with the vast majority sub 140 BPM. I’ve also been lifting PB’s in the gym this last 2 weeks.

Long long way to go on where I ultimately want to be but I’m super content with where I’m at, how I feel and regime I have in place. It’s sustainable, flexible and i have no concerns with skipping a day or whatever.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any sleep tips? I often wake up after just four or five hours and cannot get back to sleep.

I don’t like to pump my body full of drugs (except alcohol) so no medication, ideally. Thanks.

It’s the alcohol that prevents sleep. I find even 1-2 drinks. Doing dry January and haven’t slept better in years. Wish I had the will power to stretch it out for a few months or longer

I’ve not had a drink since my birthday (6th January) and still can’t sleep properly. :man_shrugging:

Happy belated 89th.

That was me as well, on top of having nights where I couldn’t get to sleep either. That kind of pattern is a sign of spiking cortisol.

I’m an oddball but I’ve gone to quite an extreme in trying to sort it. Some of it is probably a step too far you.

No caffeine after 2pm
I don’t really drink but as @WeeJoe says that doesn’t help.
I’ve suspected my zinc intake has been on the low side so I take some limited supplements on that side. A zinc/magnesium combo can help. I have to be careful on the supplement side of things
Eat less at night. Going to bed with a full belly doesn’t help.
Being super strict with routine and making sure you’ve allowed enough time to get your 8 hours.

Try and get enough activity in during the day. Get walking for example.

Aside from that I’ve found that twerking the time I take some of my medication is a biggy and I also take a little squirt of CBD oil.

1 Like