Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

:flushed:

I don’t think anybody wants to see me twerk.

Tweaking :roll_eyes:

I hate my phone and its stupid arrogance in thinking it knows what I want to say.

you can turn that shit off, ya crazy twerker.

I have the same problem. I do use a mild medication to help me sleep though. It’s a medication generally prescribed for those suffering from jetlag and my doctor reckons it’s safe for me to use. Just putting it out there.

I have no clue how much alcohol you’ll be taking but too much alcohol definitely affects sleep. My sleep cycles after years of alcohol dependencies still aren’t back to normal , probably never will.

1 Like

It gets to a position for me w.r.t sleep where even a 12 km run in the evening , while making my body tired etc , doesn’t help me close my eyes and sleep.

Loads of people fall instantly to sleep , I don’t. Not even when I exert myself to a 12km run.

It’s only an issue when I reply to @cynicaloldgit. I’m convinced it knows.

Well shit happens.
Decided to buy some new scales, one of those more fancy full body monitor ones. Not the super expensive Garmin ones etc. just one that came with good reviews off that shopping website.

I like numbers and I thought the data would help to keep me motivated plus the old scales were properly tired and I’ve long suspected they were giving bogus readings.

Yup, I’m apparently 4kg heavier than I thought I was. While a little disappointing I’ve got some great data to keep me focused. Some unexpected numbers in there too as well.

All good though, I’ve come to terms with my journey being a longer one than most other people.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be too put off by differing measurements. 4kg might be a lot but in the overall scheme , if you are feeling healthy , do workouts well , and are plainly energetic and have good vitals in the other departments. The body weight is just that , nice to know but doesn’t make a difference.

The BMI metric to measuring body health is severely flawed.

For example , the maximum expected weight for me at my height is 75kg. I’ve touched down till 78kg (which counts as overweight as per BMI). But that doesn’t mean I’m not fit. I can run with the best of them , have a good cardiovascular health. That 3 to 4 kg isn’t worth losing sleep about not when your other vitals are fine.

One dietician acquaintance of mine (who strictly goes for BMI) insisted that people should have BMI under 20. Needless to say , I’m not following her advice on BMI but it’s incredible how many people are stuck up on BMI (not saying it’s you)

Cheers and I’m actually good with it. It makes sense to be honest as I get weighed when I see my nephrologist and the readings I’m getting there have never tied in with what I was seeing at home. They do now!

It’s just made targets clearer (good thing) and its also given me questions to ask my nephrologist.
My bone mass was a little lower than I expected. Still in the ok range but lower than I thought it would be and it’s one I have to watch as it can be an issue with kidney patients.
Body water is in the good to low range which I’m really happy about as I can suffer from water retention.
Visceral fat also ok, thankfully.
Protein on the low end which I have mixed feelings about. It’s a good thing from a kidney preservation perspective (in my case), but low in terms of helping me build and maintain muscle and keeping me feeling full. This number is not a surprise to be honest, it’s just nice to see it from an alternative source.

And as you say, BMI, I’m not hugely bothered by it. It’s higher than it should be of course, just something to work on which for me is semi useful as the sports I enjoy doing nowadays do benefit from having a lower weight.

Overall though, it’s a long journey where I’m seeking to both maintain my current kidney function as best I can but also lay the groundwork and be ready for that day in the future when the ultimate shit happens and I get plugged into machine or some kind soul is able to donate a new organ.

And of course I’m fully aware that these numbers come with a large dose of salt. They wont be 100% accurate, other than the overall weight figure.

1 Like

Had a fairly easy run today with the intent of having a longer 1:25 hr min one. Wife called me back home earlier

Still racked up 12.5km in 65 min though.

2 Likes

should never be taken into consideration. BMI is a trainer’s nightmare and totally misleading.

a bodybuilder at 6ft and 240lb would be considered obese by BMI

1 Like

11 km in 50 min.

Was a sedate run till one guy about 15 years younger came running past midway. Matched him pace for pace over 2km and overtook him after which he soon gave up.

Kids these days I tell ya.

Must have been a demoralising sight for him to see a stocky middle aged man run faster than his scrawny ass

I’m down 2kg in a week. Happy with progress. Despite not looking overweight I still have a ways to go.

45 minute run this morning. I seemed to hit a wall at 30-35 minutes which coincided in a step change in my heart rate. No pace change, I actually decreased it a bit quickly after.

No idea what that’s about.

2 Likes

It’s a temporary running plateau where you don’t seem to increase speed despite seemingly putting in more efforts.

Happens to everyone. People hit atleast two or more times as well over their training. It’s to do with running rhythm. Once you find a proper rhythm and breathing routine that works for you , you’ll start getting better times and not get that tired / increased heart rates etc.

Nothing much to worry about for semi-serious runners. Most of the times , those issues tend to fix themselves out over a period of time. It might take upto 1-2 months even but it’s just the body telling you that the rhythm isn’t right.

A perfect running rhythm (or near perfection) barely makes you tired because your breathing and running strides are in tandem. That’s not easy to get and varies depending on other factors as well , temperature , humidity , stress , diet , mood…

I’ve still to get my proper (better) running rhythm back. Keep getting wiped after an hours run compared to me maintaining a strong pace for 1:30 previously.

I don’t exactly know the exact technical terms so any others can explain better

Makes sense. Cheers.

Somewhat close to my best speed of 4:30 per km for an extended time.

12km in 55 min.

1 Like

Scared Bbc One GIF by BBC