Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

you’d need to roughly do an hour’s walk to consume as much calories as what a half hour run would provide. Even that would depend on the speed of the walk. If you’re running at a speed of 12km/h , you’re walking speed should be 6-7km/jh

1 Like

Important to note that the pace of the walk has a lot to do with it - a ‘power walk’ pace (so maybe Dane’s fast-paced walk) is a less energy efficient gait than most people’s normal walking pace. Excess calories burned per km approach a slow run speed. We probably instinctively slip into a jog to conserve energy in a relative sense.

1 Like

Yup.
I power walk as I find walking at a leisurely pace is kind of a waste of time.
Generally my 5k power walk will take around 39 minutes

It’s easier for me to jog at 8kmph than try and maintain a brisk walk at 7. Namely , easier on the knees.

Its something i picked up on. There’s evidence (apparently) that shows slow paced runs, zone 2 or basically at a pace that allows you to have a conversation has actual performance benefits down the line. It should probably be mixed in with some intervals as well to really reap the benefits.

All in, it may have helped.

1 Like

That depends on how fast the walking is and how fast the running is, obviously. But even if you account for the higher rate of calories burned per minute at faster paces, as @Dane 's real world data points out, when he factor back in the longer duration it essentially balances itself out to have the same caloric expenditure.

There is a good argument for the faster pace deriving more benefit in terms of the fitness adaptations it produces, but in practice we have to consider things like what impact the harder session will have on recovery and ability/likelihood to do it repeatedly throughout the week.

General rule of thumb is that cardio develops best (and the health benefits that go along with it) with a mix of some hard sessions around the majority of easier sessions. Secondly, when planning those out it is important to avoid the trap of making your easy sessions too hard and your hard sessions too easy.

4 Likes

What I’ve found when losing weight is to not over-obsess on what the most efficient workout is and do whatever it is that you can turn into a habit. For me it was brisk walks on the treadmill at first.
Of course if your goal is chasing PRs, disregard the above.