Luis DIAZ: 2021/22

No they know what they’re doing, when they’ve been allowed to spend money bringing players in they don’t let us down (except possibly injury issues).

1 Like

We should be thankful to Spurs for trying to buy this guy. We probably would have to wait until the summer to see him without Levy’s intervention. I love a good January signing. He’s not just given us another option, he’s given everyone a lift.

Brilliant run yesterday on the counter ended only by Zouma’s foul. The ball was tied to his feet. It’s not just going forward where he’s impressive, he’s working hard to track back too. Very hard to find any faults with his game but I’m still hopeful JK will squeeze another level out of him.

9 Likes

The team needs to get used to him more than him getting used to the team. They need to keep an eye out for when hes free and where he demands the ball…

Nothing that a few team sessions wont sort out. Also he seems to be the guy who will help us out more against the low block sides (the ones mane and salah sometimes struggle to break down)

1 Like

Best non-scoring forward we’ve had since the heady days of Crouchie’s debut season! I wish he could adjust his shooting boots but I’m in complete disbelief over his work ethic. I don’t remember seeing a Liverpool forward covering this much ground since Kuyt, and I don’t think anyone aside from Milner and Mascherano looked as ever-present as him. I wonder what the stats say, though.

3 Likes

He reminds me of Suarez. Jota reminds me of Suarez as well but in a different way… But you can see the fear that the opponents have of him. That’s what is leading the opponents to mark him closer , which allows the other players to slip through the gaps.

I’d love to see how he combines with Bobby. A potential pairing of him, salah & bobby has me salivating. Especially if he gets better service.

The likes of Mane and Salah are sometimes too nice to the opponent defenders. We need more direct guys like Jota and Diaz to handle the low block.

1 Like

Agree with this. A good january signing is an amazing thing. I think the bad rep they have is because more often than not they are bought by teams already in trouble of some sort, which makes the prospect of the player succeeding already take a hit. When a club is in a good situation and pushes ahead who responds to an opportunity to move at that time for a player they have done their due diligence on, the lift is incredible.

The thing I like most about him is that he plays in all directions. Lots of players with his traits only wan to run towards goal, but he’s everywhere. He’s just as like to check back to get the ball on the half turn than he is to try to stretch the game. He seems smart as well…or maybe Robbo is just a really easy to play alongside, but they have chemistry and understanding you dont expect of players who have known each other only this long and dont speak anything like a common language.

4 Likes

All the above, but it is his ball retention and playing the right ball/pass for the team that sets him above our other comparative forward players

Perfectly stated post, start to finish. I quoted this part bc it reminded me of another moment, the ball was fizzed into the box from the left around thigh height, not an easy one to control. He lifted the ball over the defender from left foot to right and was able to get his shot off. I believe the shot was blocked but it was an impressive moment of brilliance and football IQ. Always thinking about what he’s doing next. I posted after his first match with us, it will be interesting to see how long he can keep this chaotic work rate up bc it’s quite uncommon.

As an aside, I had Lee Dixon in commentary for the FA Cup match last week v Norwich and he wouldn’t stop talking about Diaz all match. He was delighted when Luis finally came on as a sub. It wasn’t the normal “fluff”, he was genuinely wanting to see more of Diaz calling him one of his favorite players and what a signing by Liverpool. He also raved about Diaz football IQ.

5 Likes

Interesting point you make on January signings if i think the ones we’ve done they have always been at a period (bar Sturridge) where we weren’t too desperate and were made more due to availability than anything else, Coutinho springs to mind on that.

1 Like

I wonder if there’s a stat for keeping the ball under pressure? If so, this guy must be right at the top.

Every time I think he’s going to lose it he wangles a way to either get his body in the way or move it on to a teammate.

Only 1 goal in 7 games yet it’s obvious he’s absolutely at the top level. He has been electric.

5 Likes

He looks to me like a faster version of Bobby. Doesn’t lose the ball easily, but if he does then haggles the opponent to either win it himself or create an opportunity for one of our players to retain the possession.

Just like Bobby but with more pace. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain these high energy performances on a long term.

I think we have someone really good (too early to say ‘special’) here.

1 Like

He’s got one of the best first touches I’ve seen for a forward… Ball sticks to him.

2 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

The commentator was singing the Luis Diaz song again after the goal against Brighton (@1:30 in the video).

4 Likes

One thing I was concerned with is he would be a shithouse but he doesn’t seem to have any firey traits he also doesn’t go down easily which is utterly pointless at our club.

I know some of this is stereotypes but I kind of expected Suarez type player in that way. Still reminds me of Suarez without the “bite” :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Players coming to the Prem know that more physical challenges/pushes are part and parcel of the game here. So they come in with open eyes and are keen to adapt.

If you see Diaz’s reaction to a hefty push in recent games, followed by the ref waving nothing to see here, Diaz will spend only half a sec in exasperation at the ref, then quickly stand up, brush it off and continue.

In Portugal, a challenge where he would go down and expect to get something form the ref, won’t happen here. Also, in training, he will see Ribena man just stand up and carry on after a hefty tackle.

Add to the fact that our forwards are way behind in the stats of getting a free kick out of the ref, it’s good that he has adapted quickly.

Plus having another fiery character alongside Jota is just asking for trouble. Add Mane in one of his moods, and oh my.

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to him learning a little bit of English. You know, just the requisite amount so he can be his most fabulous, gobshite self.

Mrs. Walker did what?! :flushed:

1 Like

Apparently Elliott and Diaz have become close friends but Klopp did say he doesn’t know how they communicate.

Its :heart:

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve heard Harv speak, to be fair, so that could go either way.

1 Like