Luis Diaz (LW) Porto

Right, I missed that, but it’s not surprising as it’s often an indication of a regression to the mean.

What’s Salah’s corresponding stats, just out of curiosity?

Important to mention that those are only league stats.

1 Like

Right, I’ll need to look at the League + CL stats as well. Doubt there will be too much deviation from these though

Yeah the bradman comparision is apt. If even at your absolute best, there’s a guy who’s got better performances than you batting beside you. Then it’s a losing battle.

https://youtu.be/uKt1SNnFAFg

1 Like

Still think Mane looks better though.

Alright lad, you’ll make the misses even more jealous.

There seems to be a great presumption that if a player is past their peak that they are completely useless. Even if a player is not a first choice they can be providing useful cover on the bench, in the squad and in rotation. Where the problem comes is where a player is relied on until they just aren’t up to it any more and we have no obvious replacement lined up. There have been players who just drop off a cliff but more often than not that’s related to injury, not form.

3 Likes

agreed. the problem is when they are paid much more essentially to be a cover.

2 Likes

Why the comparison with Mane and the presumption that he’s leaving? We’re gonna need Mo, Mane, Jota, Bobby and Diaz to catch City and win the next couple of CLs (and a bonus carabao cup for some beer tokens)

3 Likes

Below thread gives a summary of the player.

2 Likes

The Shining GIF

How much do you want it Diaz lad, if you don’t take your shirt off in the 1st minute we should swerve ya.

5 Likes

If he turns out as good as the other south American number 7 we’ve had, I’ll be happy.

For the planned summer arrival to happen now can be turned into a massive positive.

First he gets longer to bed in before the presumed departure of one of our “starters” (you can imagine it’s likely to be Firmino or, most likely, Mane) in the summer. That means he’s a rotation/back up option to start with whilst he settles and integrates with less pressure as we should still have 4 good options for 3 positions.

Second it allows us to move on and improve our back up options now if possible.

In the summer we can bring in a replacement for Minamino and/or Origi whilst letting someone go as we would still have Diaz and Jota plus two of Salah, Firmino and Mane.

Or we could concentrate on bringing in one brilliant signing with 2 of those 3 moving on.

We only tend to do so much business per summer. With all of Keita, Ox, Mane, Firmino and Salah entering the last 12 months of their deals that is a lot to get on extended contracts or replace to stop us losing them all for free in summer 2023. Diaz represents the replacement for one of them already making that job a bit easier and smoother.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Has he signed yet :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think the replacements for the two will be through the academy.

We’ve got Kaide coming in who’ll get more minutes. Glatzel who can get some minutes in as well. I’d rather the academy lads get the minutes in.

2 Likes

Is Pepe his father?

Football Laughing GIF by DAZN