Martin Zubimendi (DM) Real Sociedad

What’s not true is the spin he is putting on it - Joyce in particular was pretty clear I thought that there is still a risk the player might want to stay at his current club, but on the whole looked like it was more likely to happen than not.

1 Like

Time to lock this thread and ban Sithbare from starting any new player thread.

2 Likes

Of course it is, no reason why he wouldn’t train if the deal is still in a negotiation phase. Even with things obviously going on quicker than reported.

3 Likes

The rest of that post was superfluous.

6 Likes

If zubby is still unsure, it is best to have a plan B option ready.

Hopefully a deal is concluded. If the delay is on the player side, it’s vulnerable. Still doable, but vulnerable, as presumably we’ve already offered to double or triple his wages, and we are a global club, competing at the top end, at the start of a new chapter under Slot, and with a clear place in the team for Zubimendi.

If he still wants to stay in Spain in light of all that, I’m not sure what we can do. If the delay is with the player, I wouldn’t give it more than a day or two before moving on.

If the delay is with the financial terms we are offering, we have the means to easily complete the deal. If it’s all the cash up front, no problem. If we’d rather pay installments for the purpose of cash flow and other potential deal we are looking at, just use a credit facility. We have the income and the room in PSR for it to not be a problem.

If the issue is the club, I could imagine they would be concerned at losing Zubimendi and Merino in the same window, even if Sucic is a good player who has come in.

If they still feel short I would offer Bajcetic on loan to them for one season, so they aren’t in a tight spot. Could be win-win, and then ideally Stefan bosses it and comes back to Anfield next summer having confirmed himself as the great player we think he might be.

link please, i dont see the article

So I’ve only seen this guy play for 45mins (like a lot of others I’m guessing). Can anyone shed some light? Is he the second coming? Don’t remember his name being mentioned last summer when we were in for every single defensive midfield under the sun.

He’s a very different kind of No.6 to what we were looking for last year - we are beyond looking for a No.6 that primarily a destroyer, and plays the simple pass, to a more progressive, deep lying, play maker.

It’s why Ugarte and Trindade links have died off, and these new names have appeared (Zubimendi, Allan, Varela etc)

1 Like

His name has been knocking around for a couple of years, and the first faint shouts for people calling for him to come here go back to when we were refreshing our midfield after it aged out.

He is not the second coming, but he is a good player who improves us right away. He is a footballer first and foremost, calm on the ball, press resistant, quite good in the air, can pass off the left as well as his favored right foot. He would be perfect in a double pivot with Mac Allister and would give us a lot of control in games. He’s no shrinking violet either, and while his game isn’t a tough-guy tackler - that sort is phasing out anyway - he has enough snide about him that he won’t be bullied by anyone.

Macca and Zubimendi behind Szobo in the 10 role, looks very tasty indeed.
Jones and Gravenberch behind Elliott is the immediate alternate.
Bajcetic might need a loan, or he would be another rotational option.

1 Like

I have to look again, at the moment there are lots of fake accounts out there reporting that Zubi wants to stay and shit like that, presumably rival fans who are doing their best to spread bad news, it´s annoying

So we wait all summer to register interest in a player who more than likely wants to stay where he is.

Never change LFc, never change.

2 Likes

yeah the article on echo is about the pressure he felt previously when linked with a move. he seems like quite the sensitive fellow, reminds me of @cynicaloldgit, all up in his feelings like

6 Likes

Haha these people

1 Like

If we sign him - He’s world class, absolutely the second coming.
If he stays put - Meh, average player, never wanted him anyway.
If he goes moves somewhere else - He’s absolutely fucking shit, couldn’t lace Endo’s boots.
If he goes to Chelsea - Sincerely wish him all the best.

2 Likes

1 Like

Given the amount of hype on here, I thought he was some promising 21 year old who was already of a great standard, given how so many want to ditch our own youth players.

He’s 25. Is he really that good that it’s worth mortgaging our future, or are people just desperate for some transfer?

3 Likes

Huh? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The suggested fee isnt mortgaging our future?

Ignoring the extreme characterization of the move, yes he is good enough to justify making him a priority if we think the role he plays is not adequately filled by any (enough?) of the existing players. He only still at Sociedad by choice rather than because of lack of interest. They have also been pretty competitive his entire time there so its not like he’s been slumming it.

3 Likes