Mason Mount (Chelsea FC) CM/AM/LW

I get that and understand he’s been on the radar. I just have no idea what the club is thinking in terms of where he fits in. I can’t see it, but there is obviously a plan there.

Like probably thousands who have failed to either end up here, get a chance or properly make it.

There is?

The plan for the last 2 years was … well there wasn’t 1, other than to plan ahead for the 3rd year which was to land Jude for a laughable cut price deal which flew out the window before it’s even opened.

Mason Mount: the Jude Bellingham we have at home

3 Likes

No. The Jude Bellingham we have at home is Jordan Henderson but he is getting old. Another Jude Bellingham we might have at home is Stefan Bajcetic but he needs time.

There is no way Mount being an alternative to Bellingham.

Eh? He’s been playing as a forward or attacking midfielder and not a 8/6 like we need in the team. We’ve got a ton of AMs who can play as an 8 in a pinch but he isn’t a ready made 8.

Funny how everyone pretends to know more than Klopp.

5 Likes

I’m not sure you get the meme.

1 Like

Did I miss Hodgson being re-appointed manager?
Where did Jurgen go?

I get it but it makes no sense here.

As crazy as it sounds, I believe the club operates with intention and always have a plan. I know it’s inconceivable to believe that a club that’s had such success under Klopp operates in such a manner….just naive I guess.

2 Likes

Never seen this guy’s youtube channel before but I think it’s a pretty fair assessment of Mount even if I, obviously, disagree with his summary that he’d be a better fit at Liverpool (I also don’t agree that he’s an upgrade on Joe Willock - a player I like a lot more - but I’ll leave that aside)

Anyway, I’m going to follow @rab’s example and bow out of the thread but for the opposite reason in that I can’t my head around what this transfer would do for us and I’m not optimistic in what it says for our planning or transfer activity moving forwards. I very much hope we get a Sporting Director in place soon.

I’ve said my piece on Mount many times over in pretty exhaustive detail and it still manages to get twisted into “you think all Liverpool players are great and Chelsea players are bad” by the likes of @GermanRed so what’s the point really? As has been correctly pointed out, Klopp knows more than me - or any of us - which it would seem undermines the point of the forum but there you have it.

3 Likes

Seems im in the very small minority who actually rate him as a player and can’t see the logic behind a lot of the reasons people are up in arms.

He can’t even get in a struggling Chelsea team - played more minutes than any other Chelsea midfielder in the league this season. Has recently been injured, hence being on the bench.

He’s shit - is he better than Bellingham? No. Is he better than most of what we’ve got? Yes. Is he better than Thuram or Kone or all the other flavours of the week people clamour for? Well we don’t know but you’d like to think the club do.

He’s the wrong type of midfielder - well the club will have more data on him and watched him more than any of us. If they think he can be the midfielder we need, hard to argue. Not like we haven’t changed players roles slightly to great success before, Harvey Elliott being just one example of doing exactly what we might with Mount.

He’s not the level we need - twice Chelsea player of the season. Integral part of their European Cup win. 200 appearances for a top 6 side. 35 CL appearances. 36 England caps. For someone not very good he doesn’t half seem to play a lot of top level football.

We’ve got better kids coming through - Elliott has played nearly 1,500 minutes for us in the league this year and Mount is a better player than him for sure. So who exactly is it we have that’s better?

We’re only after he because his contract is running out - nope, his contract running out gives us the opportunity to go after him. Otherwise he’d be too expensive or Chelsea would laugh us out the door.

Why would a rival sell us a good player - because they’ve fucked around and now they’re finding out the hole they’ve put themselves in. They want him to sign a new contract, he’s probably sick of waking up and wondering who his manager is that day.

Most Chelsea fans don’t rate him - good, what the fuck do those pricks know about good footballers.

I’m going to enjoy this thread but think i’ll take a watching brief from here as I get the sense my positivity and optimism around this one isn’t going to be well received.

17 Likes

I heard many of the same arguments when we were linked with Gini and Lallana. Henderson for a long time was written off for doing too many safe side and back passes, despite probably doing exactly what Klopp has asked him to do.

Were there better players available in world football. Absofuckinglutely, but that didn’t mean they weren’t incredibly effective in our midfield at the time.

Maybe we sign Mount and he’s a huge flop, or maybe we sign him and he becomes a reliable and hardworking and effective part of a midfield which allows our new look front line to flourish the way Salah, Mo and Bobby did.

For the record, I’m still not convinced we’re going to sign him.

4 Likes

He isn’t exactly the most exciting or inspiring signing that we could make but he is not crap, that’s just taking it too far. If Mount’s crap, what would you call McTominay or Maguire?

If it were up to me, I’d stay away but at the same time I can understand why parts of his game could look appealing to the recruiting team.

2 Likes

That famous German humour still going strong…

1 Like

Klopp: ‘i want Mason Mount’

Fans : ‘we have Mason Mount at home’

Mason Mount at home
IMG_0332

That’s how to use that meme.

Those players are better than Mount so that doesn’t work :wink:

I don’t rate nor want Mount in case it wasn’t already obvious.

1 Like

I think Mount is a decent player, good energy and a threat around the box. If we stick with the new system he probably fits into that better than anything else we have played for a long time.

I don’t want him for two reasons:

1 - the reported fee and wages are massive. If these numbers are way off, fair enough, but as they are they would seem to take up a massive chunk of the budget, and I highly doubt he’ll be so good that it’s worth it.

2 - I don’t really like him. We all have players we like and we don’t, and he’s one I don’t. I’d prefer to see him doing his stupid little dance elsewhere.

There are attributes there that Klopp would get a lot out of, but there are also better players available. If Mount is going to cost a ridiculous sum of money, I’d rather we just signed a better player.

3 Likes

None of them would be able to win the CL with a shitty Chelsea team as a starter and get double figures in goals and assists in consecutive seasons.