Mason Mount (Chelsea FC) CM/AM/LW

Yeah, I don’t find him likeable as a person either, to the extent that you can find someone you never met as unlikeable.
There is something about him that makes you wonder if he could pass the no dicks ‘rule’.

If the fee is reasonable I think it would be worth taking the punt. If our long term plan is to use Trent in this inverted full back role with a RCM higher up the pitch then he’s a clear upgrade on the options we have there at the moment. It would be nice to have a genuine goal threat in midfield again as well.

Still not convinced he ends up leaving them mind. If they need to raise cash to adhere to FFP rules then there are loads of saleable assets at that club who you’d think would be ahead of him in the queue for the chopping block.

It’s not so much about raising cash with Mount, but more that he will only have a year left on his contract. So for them it’s do they get something now or nothing next year?

Still every chance he signs a new contract though.

I reckon they’ll come to a compromise eventually.

I’m curious to know where this idea that he’s unlikeable has came from as well. Never really got that impression myself, and I don’t recall there being any particular stories surrounding him that reflect him in a negative light.

4 Likes

Nothing specific he’s done for me, just him in general. He might well be a great guy, it’s just an impression. Like Grealish (though he has off the pitch shithousery) but I didn’t like him either before I heard any of that.

With the number of players they have, their salary commitments are likely not viable. Getting that under control as much as raising money through sales is likely going to be key for them remaining compliant. In some ways that may make it more attractive to them to hold on to Mount right now given he is still on a pretty modest salary and prioritize moving on a higher earner, even if that means losing him for nothing next year.

I think there are a lot of ways this may play out for Chelsea and given the unusualness of the situation they’ve found themselves in I dont think we should assume the normal patterns (in last year of contract = sold on a discount) will hold for them

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I said this :man_shrugging:t2:

Look, if we do attempt to sign Mount, I think we have to make pretty darn sure this isn’t him.

Think it’s Eddie Nketiah.

A couple of the ex Chelsea players we have bought have turned out good - so why not!

right? That fucking Mo Salah guy too hey, wasn’t he Chelsea before we bought him from Roma?

1 Like

I’ve heard that, too, but what Black professional sports guy (and many have cut rap albums) ever wore a mask or needed to. My working theory based on body type is it is either Foden or Mount. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Have we had a “good” rapper since digger?

I’m not sure about him but probably ticks all the boxes for the club. Homegrown and can be got at a reasonable price. Would be interested to know if people can think of other players better that are homegrown and not going for outrageous price.

It’s a weird one for them. If you just look at options they have for midfield (yes, yes I know Mount plays LW too and isn’t an 8 etc etc) then they’re in a bit of a weird place.

Mount - a year to go on his deal and assessing his options
Kante - 31 and contract up in the summer. has been picking up lots of injuries
Gallagher - still relatively inexperienced for his age and they don’t seem overly convinced by him
Enzo - on the longest contract in football history
Kovacic - a year to go on his deal too
Loftus-Cheek - 27 contract expires next summer and never nailed down a place in the side
Chukwuemeka - still a bit of an unknown quantity and barely played since his move
Zakaria - loan finishes in the summer

Considering all the money they’ve spent there’s a lot of fairly average players there and a bunch of contracts expiring too.

There’s a lot of work for them to do in that area and they may well see a couple of those on deals with not long left as necessary casualties to balance the books.

And a lot might well depend on who comes in and their vision for the team. You might see Nagglesman come in and be desperate to keep Mount or Enrique arrive he decides Mount doesn’t fit with what he wants to do and is happy to shift him on to get someone he wants.

It’s going to be a very interesting summer there, irrespective of whether we’re genuinely going after Mount.

2 Likes

Haha, I’m drawing a blank. Need more clues.

1 Like

Anthony Martial is my guess. He’d already released some stuff a few years back but likely not taken seriously due to his footballer status. Voice sounds similar but accent could be trickly.

The Anfield rap…

1 Like

who at LFC has been interested in Mount since he was a schoolboy?

I guess these people/persons still at LFC?

how much influence do they have over signing?

so many questions, i know…

but it seems a strange to say that LFC have always been interested in Mount,
even before Klopp came,

he might not be a Klopp type player

but here we are…

1 Like

Out of context of this season, it would have felt like a big coup getting Mount. He looked like a big talent when he started starting for Chelsea. But he hasn’t pushed on, and we have big problems to solve which he doesn’t look like the obvious solution to. He hasn’t looked great when asked to play a number 8 for England and was pretty much dropped in favour of Bellingham and Hendo at the World Cup (let’s just go for that pairing shall we!).

More and more I believe Klopp when he says, ‘if a player we likes becomes available, we will try and do a deal’. That’s our transfer strategy right there, work out the rest when we have a whole bunch of players we like, favoured positions regardless.

1 Like