Mason Mount (Chelsea FC) CM/AM/LW

Was brilliant on loan at Derby, then went on to win Chelsea player of the season 2 years in a row. Assisted the only goal in the CL final.

There’s an argument about whether he’s what we need, but he’s not crap.

4 Likes

Surely he’ll wait until the manager situation is sorted out. Lampard is clearly not there long term.

I doubt it. It is incredibly unlikely a new manager is going to be able to come in with enough clarity of vision and existing knowledge of the players to be able give any of them reason to think they are going to be important next season early enough for it to impact his decision making about his contract. Even in the unlikely event it happens, what does that mean at Chelsea? One year of playing for someone who values him?

1 Like

It’s widely know that Liverpool tried to persuade him to sign when he was signing his first pro contract, but he opted for Chelsea. I heard there had been a few enquiries/attempts to bring him to Anfield over the years.

I suppose it’s true to say that people move on, but Files and data will be handed on.

Agree with the point others have made about Klopp knowing what he is doing, but he does not look exactly what we need.
Especially as Chelsea will hardly hang a “come and get me,I’m cheap around his neck” sign on him, and while I don’t know there seems to be some concern about his attitudes a pass for mine!

The “[Insert manager name] knows better than us!” argument was used a lot when we signed Carroll and Downing.

Sometimes managers don’t know best, even Kenny and Klopp.

I’m not even particularly opposed to the idea, but it’s worryingly unimaginative.

1 Like

Well, if he costs about 25-30 million pounds, then it is a good deal. If he costs 50 million pounds upwards, then we need to look at someone else…

2 Likes

I think Mount would serve Klopp’s tactics quite well. Especially with the press. But the fee being bandied about - upwards of 70M - is crazy. Just insane money.

Exhibit A:

2 Likes

So Damien Comolli was never at the club?

I’m torn over this potential signing. If this was two years ago, I’d have him here in a heartbeat. I’ve been impressed with his technical ability since the first time I saw him play, he always looked pretty confident on the ball and I recall him making good runs in behind the defence, something none of our midfielders are capable of doing. He usually got himself into good positions to score and assist, which he usually did. I genuinely can’t say that I’ve paid attention to his defensive work, though.

I can’t find the exact report but one of the reliable journalists said that our transfer dealings would be impacted by homegrown rules. In that regard, signing Mount makes sense, especially considering that we might lose two homegrown players in the summer (Milner and AOC).

With everything else taken into account, though, he doesn’t make sense at 60-70 million pounds and 200K per week. If Chelsea won’t sell him for a reasonable price (half of that amount, in my opinion) and his wage demands aren’t in line with club’s wage structure, I’d walk away from that deal immediately.

1 Like

Surely that is Salah. The black curly hairish things covering his head looks exactly like Salah’s curls

I agree. But if even Klopp can be wrong, don’t think experts on a forum can be any better.

As for Mount, said it before. Don’t seem to be world class but was very good, and probably one of the best English players in the league before this season. For him to come up as a young player, be a mainstay in a fickle minded team over the last few years through different managerial reigns, show that he is pretty solid. Does look like his career can go either way of course but hope he can go Hendo’s direction and now Dele Ali’s. But anything below 30m is a yes for me, above, tentative.

I’m not entirely against this move, but it must fit in with our overall strategy.

We know that the midfield needs a massive overhaul this summer, with 3-4 midfielders potetially coming in. If Mount is one of those and can be done in a fashion to ensure all other targets are also achieved, then great.

If either Chelsea or his agent decide to get greedy and push the price of the deal up to the point where other targets can’t be secured due to Mount’s price/wage then I think it would be smart for us to walk away.

We’ve come a long way from the Carroll and Downing days. The fact you’ve highlighted deals from over a decade ago, bought when we had an entirely different set of people doing the transfer business and managing the team is telling.

I think we can all agree we’ve been pretty good with our player identification since Klopp and co came in. Even the ones we’ve missed on you could probably chalk up to injuries rather than talent issues.

It’s fair enough to be cautious and question things. It’s a forum after all, that’s the point of it. But ultimately I think we’d all have to say that if we really knew more than those in charge, we’d not be sat on a forum chatting about it, we’d be out there getting paid for our knowledge.

3 Likes

That’s not happening

2 Likes

Not in a million years. I’d be surprised if we get him for anything less than 60m.

I get the Mount links, especially with the new formation/structure.

Alisson

Konate - Van Dijk - Robertson

Trent - Thiago

Mount - Bellingham

Salah - Gakpo - Diaz

etc.

So Darwin’s an £80m benchwarmer?