Mason Mount (Chelsea FC) CM/AM/LW

Wouldn’t be the first time our record signing (or new main striker) doesn’t work out. I’m not saying Nunez won’t make it (jury is still out, he’s had a solid to good first season), but we’re still yet to see how our team properly and regularly works with both Salah and Nunez in their best positions on the pitch.

2 Likes

Do you think that’s the plan long term or just a mid-season adaptation given the issues we’ve experienced this season?

We’ve built a squad to broadly line up in a 4-3-3 and that new formation has a few square pegs in experimental round holes.

I think Klopp will be looking to go back to something more familiar and hope some new blood and some time on the training ground will fix the issues we’ve had.

1 Like

Our structural change is also still in one phase of the game. Doesn’t mean Mount won’t have to go back into midfield when we’re defending. On the ball, that “cage” of 4 players, yeah, that’s more what he’s used to. It’s basically what he mostly played at Chelsea, one of the two players behind/around a striker. Though it also depends where exactly on the pitch do we lose the ball and go regaining it back. I still want to see whether we do it full time and whether we do it like City do (the positions on those advanced #8’s and wingers).

1 Like

No he’s part of a front 5 which will rotate regularly. I see Nunez as picking up Salah’s goal scoring type place from the left with Diaz playing off the right over the next few years personally.

I see Gakpo as becoming key to how we play as a false no.9

I think we will use this going forward especially against the lower placed sides who defender deeper and try and play on the counter. Which is 90% of our games.

It’s perfectly balanced to counter our weaknesses but give us a better offensive platform.

It certainly makes the links to Mount make more sense as he is more a 10 than an 8.

I like Mount. I think he’d look pretty damn good playing midfield for Klopp. I don’t 60 mil like him, but I like him for whatever is ‘reasonable’ these days I think he’d be great option for us.

I think some of the problem here is familiarity breeds contempt. If he had his current career in Germany or France or somewhere everyone would love him.

1 Like

I wonder if the Sheikh Castle are also interested in him.

1 Like

I’d take him. We’ve got loads of midfielders who are on their way out of the club at the moment and plenty of positions that need to be filled.

Milner’s out , Hendo’s getting on with age , Thiago is injury prone , Fabinho has been patchy this season (partly his fault and partly due to the entire midfield unit not delivering) , Keita’s gone at end of season , Ox’s gone at end of season

That’s plenty of holes in the midfield that need to be patched. And we’ve only got Bajcetic , Elliot , Jones as the other senior midfielders (Willfully ignoring Arthur).

From the way you guys make it seem , It’s like Mount’s the only midfield target for Liverpool when it’s more than likely that they will be signing atleast 2 midfielders who compete for the starting XI and 1 more work in progress.

2 Likes

Arsenal are monitoring Mason Mount’s situation at Chelsea and could rival Liverpool for the 24-year-old England midfielder this summer. (Goal)

Good

1 Like

Another team that doesn’t need him.

Unless they’re all fine for him to be on the bench.

Mason Mount ruled out for the rest of the season. Looking more of a Liverpool midfielder each day.

4 Likes

Are you suggesting that he’s not really injured, and just being frozen out?

Reports suggesting he’s having minor hip surgery, and will be out a month, maybe making the last game of the season.

The joke is that an injured player fits in here with all our other injured players.

2 Likes

No no! You’re reading far too much into my poor attempt at humour.

I was suggesting that he’s injured so he’s already like one of our own!

1 Like

Not another sicknote​:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

Wrong end of the stick there - and it’s so obvious now reading it again :man_facepalming:

So, we aren’t signing him. :+1:

1 Like

That Ornstein news is really interesting. If he’s not coming here then I hope Chelsea legitimately insist on £80million for him.
Not 100% sure how he fits on that United squad but he’s a good player and there’s a lot of summer left for them to do other business that makes it make a bit more sense.

United continuing adding #10’s on the pile.

Nice.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me. Obviously disappointing if we wanted Bellingham and/or Mount as it means Klopp has missed out on two of his targets already.