Mohamed SALAH: 2020/21

Was it the “Muslims shouldn’t celebrate Christmas” or are they just jealous of their matching outfits?
My criticism would be the tree is a bit “busy” but it’s their tree and they can do what they want with it.
In the words of someone famous (probably) fuck me all miserable sods :grin:

1 Like

My father in law simultaneously believes that Muslims shouldn’t celebrate Christmas and they should also do more to integrate with our culture.

Fuck knows. I gave up years ago.

6 Likes

My Muslims neighbours don’t do Christmas but always give seasons greetings when we bump into each other.

No presents off them though …

2 Likes

If you have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas then only a few would celebrate it,it’s a bank holiday where you do fuck all and eat/drink/smoke too much and spend too much,it’s basically a load of bollocks.

6 Likes

Fucking wonderful.

1 Like

That wasn’t good enough, Mo. First chance, it was not easy, but should still do better. Second chance, that’s the one that should’ve won us the game. I think Klopp wanted to send him a little message by taking him off in extra time, because normally it doesn’t make much sense. I have no problem with it.

1 Like

I often think that Salah’s first shot on goal suggests what kind of game he’ll have. I was convinced against both WBA and Newcastle that he wouldn’t score after ten minutes or so of both matches. That said, I really can’t fault him or the rest of the boys. All these dropped points are infuriating and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they cost Liverpool the title but it’s a screwed up season, they were and are covering for half of the side missing through injuries… I do think Klopp should have taken Salah off much earlier, though, that sub in those particular circumstances would have angered me if I was either Salah or Shaqiri, I’m not sure what he was doing there.

1 Like

I also thought we spent too much time with both Jones and Milner as #8’s. Gini’s pass in that chance was also terrible…

Salah was and is great for us. He scored a lot of goals out of nowhere. But he can be so inconsistent with the ball. Not clean enough. But the strength is that he’ll get there multiple times and that’s how we’re using him at the end of the day.

1 Like

With the first maybe he thought it was offside for a second. Start thinking and it’s too late.

The second he has to put away.

1 Like

First chance that Darlow saves is unlucky, second he should be scoring as Darlow is pretty much beaten, odd he didn’t try and put it over him after the first one.

Strange to point it out after discussion of how wasteful he was last night but think he’s top scorer in 2020 calendar year.

Salah scores loads but clinical he is not. He always seems to play at the edge of chaos and he will always miss sitters. His numbers are brilliant but it’s not inconceivable that he should be hitting 40-50 a season every season.

5 Likes

He’s getting better at chess tho.

1 Like

I think sometimes people need a bit of perspective and realism. He’s actually nowhere near as wasteful as some other top strikers. And if he was as clinical as people want him to be he’d actually be the most prolific scorer ever. Like above Dixie Dean level scoring rates.

And I think you need to stop taking any little bit of criticism against Salah as a personal crusade to take up. I’m actually with you in thinking that he is underappreciated but it’s not mutually exclusive to have that opinion and also think he could, and should, have scored more.

He’s missed sitters and could be more clinical. It is what it is.

7 Likes

Salah is not the perfect goalscorer of course. He is a player that will score with the more chances he gets, I have not done an analysis but I supposed he has a relatively low percentage of goals/chance conversion. But what he is so good in is that he gets into those positions where he gets those chances or make those chances himself. And we need to keep reminding ourselves, the front 3 players were never world class by themselves before they came. Its only in the current system where 1+1+1 is greater than 3. And Salah is great because the system brings out the best of him and that means every single player, including Salah, needs the other parts to be working well for each player to thrive. In short, its hard to single out a player for bad performances at times because the player might be the cause or were caused.

His conversion rate is 32.5%. That’s higher than Kane on 20.9%, Neymar on 13.6%, Messi 11.6%, Suarez 28.7% and Mane 16.7%.

And comparable to Mbappe on 33.3%, Ronaldo on 32.4% and even Zlatan 35.7% only a little better.

No forward scores all their chances I think it’s just important to remember he’s a world class finisher and one of the top scorers in the world. He might miss some chances and have some bad games but that just means he is human. I wasn’t even complaining about people discussing that or anything. It was just funny timing that when the small picture was his last bad game it was also as it was being acknowledged that he was top scorer in 2020 by 5 goals more than anyone else.

3 Likes

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Which remarkable snapshot of time have you taken those stats from?

League games this season if my hungover zombified check on squawka comparison matrix worked right.

I thought it was going to be a short snapshot and I was right.

Over the last full league season he has the lowest conversion rate (20%) among Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappé, Lewandowski, Kane, Mané, Neymar, Ibrahimovic, and Suarez.

I would bet that over his career the stats would show much the same.

4 Likes