Mohamed SALAH: 2020/21

You know it’s international break when this topic pops up :grin:

Mo IS selfish but did this ever cost us game?

Can remember a situation where a certain Sadio Mané HAD to pass the ball in a Derby but he didn’t. Game ended 0-0 and I’m still not over it.

Mane is better tho…

2 Likes

He’s not though, he passes less than Mane and Firmino but he passes when it matters more. That means that he makes his passes count. If one of the forwards get in a good position it’s most likely that it’s Salah playing one of the other two in, the other two are less likely to do so in those positions as per the evidence. Just nobody mentions it with them. Any time Salah doesn’t try to pass (and sometimes it’s a ridiculous pass that wouldn’t come off or would be intercepted if tried anyway) its highlighted how “selfish” he is!

Mo is selfish and it wins us games! :smiley:

1 Like

I remember some games were Salah opts for a dribbling at least 5 time and gets blocked by the defender every time.

Instead of playing the easy pass to his free team mate, trying a 'give and go’ or a ‘one two’.

2 or 3 times trying the dribbling - ok. After that it’s selfishness or he is an stupid idiot who is not able to learn during a game.

Salah is selfish and nothing will change my mind on that.

But like I said, as long as he scores 20+ goals and as long as it doesn’t cost us a game (like Sadio vs. Everton) I don’t care about it.

You may remember Salahs, possibly due to how much attention gets put on it when it happens? You remember one for Mane but I bet all 3 of our forwards get dispossessed a lot. It’s part of our game plan. Low risk high reward. Them getting the ball leads to our pressing which is a huge boon in our side and when they don’t get the ball it leads to chances and goals for us. If Salah is selfish then what does that make Firmino and Mane who don’t pass “when it matters” as much so don’t get as many key passes and assists as a result? Are they less selfish because they pass around in the build up play a few more times per game? Salah passes less but does more with it when he does. It reminds me of how people used to point out Lucas having more tackles per game than Masch to show why he was a better DM. It’s not how often you do something it’s how you do it and what you achieve with it.

Salah is selfish but that is also how he becomes such an important player and scorer for us. That is also why he is also the one left upfront in the counter attack, because he loves to hold on to the ball and run at defenders. That is why our attacking trio works so well because all 3 bring different skillsets and styles to the attacking threat we have.

2 Likes

But don’t forget he’s selfish, I mean he must be, people keep on saying it over and over again so everyone has ‘independently’ made up their minds that he is selfish after seeing clip after clip of him not passing (always minus analysis of whether those passes would actually be successful or achieve anything). Most unselfish attacker in the league but most efficient player in the league at knowing WHEN to pass that final ball to create chances and goals.

I agree that mo is selfish and does dribble too much and that is, not from commentators or stats, it is from the games I watch.

He may have the most assists but with better quality he could have more and at times both Sadio and especially Bobby have been poor with their final ball.

The only thing that erks me with Mo is when he gives away an easy pass around the middle 3rd of the pitch, but I wouldn’t swap what he does for us for anyone else, no one is perfect and sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong.

1 Like

Most top players are selfish and overly competitive,you win trophies with them kind of players.

4 Likes

It’s not selfish to only pass when it is going to achieve something when you are the focal point of the attack! It’s following the game plan! It also can’t possibly be selfish to be the best attacker in the league at giving chances and goals to your teammates. If he’s selfish everyone else in the league is either shit or more selfish.

1 Like

He’s not always selfish but it’s also wrong to say he isn’t selfish at all.

4 Likes

… and who cares as long as he scores goals and helps us win. He tried his damndest against AV pity some others weren’t on the same wave length (selfish or not).

4 Likes

Maybe I’m the only one that sees the “selfish” label as a way of trying to tarnish Salah? Since he’s come in he’s been the most creative attacking player in the league whilst also the highest scoring, setting records everywhere. There seems proper resistance, even amongst Liverpool fans, to really acknowledge how much of a world class player he is. He’s one of the best the league has ever seen and a premier league all time 11 would have him at RW before anyone else. Yet he gets no recognition whilst he’s actually playing. People might think it’s not important but legacy and reputation and standing in the game are all very important things to this calibre of player. Do we want Salah thinking he has to go to Real Madrid or Barca to start getting recognised as a true great? Do we want Mbappe to sit there considering Real or Liverpool and think “Jesus look what Salah achieves and he’s still not getting nods for Balon D’Or I’d best go Real where their players are”?

1 Like

I’m thinking Mo isn’t a sensitive little girl who gives a fuck tbh,he gets the plaudits to go with his amazing performances so i don’t personally see where he gets overly criticised,his football speaks for itself and it doesn’t need a bent UEFA award to prove that.

6 Likes

Its a good thing he has the most unselfish player playing alongside him Bobby. :smiley:

1 Like

@Alright_Now wants a quiet word.

5 Likes

He had a formidable 1st season however hasn’t had the same prolifacy since (even though his figures are still great) this strikes people as they want ‘consistency’ (Klopp just hasn’t been getting the best out of him).
I remember when he arrived it was all ‘Humble Salah’ and all that crap. Perhaps it’s just a bite back all this "Selfish Salah’ crap.
However you started a Salah Vs Mané theme FFS. 2 very different players one extremely important to us all over the pitch another extremely important in front of goal. That’s just not what as fans we should be doing. Just because Mané was seen as most influencial and best player for one season doen’t mean Salah is being ignored. Grow Up.
Why are you seaking to make Salah appear to be gods gift to LFC? (it’s a team game).
Put it this way name me one poster on this forum who doesn’t recognise Salah for at least what he is, a fucking great goal scorer?
However if you compare his stats season by season is he consistent? Probably not, I remember commenting in his 1st season how he would succeed with 1 in 3 dribbles against packed defenses he now, as mentionned before, isn’t near those figures and even struggles to get the 1 in 3 figure against 1 defender. He’s a formidable player and we appreciate him but don’t go to those silly extremes, not yet.
Personally I think Klopp has complicated his game and he needs to get back to the simple stuff he does well (well not so simple but I hope you get what I mean). Dribble and score BASTA!
The real point about the selfish thing is it’s ok if you score however it’s not if you don’t and with the occassions our attack creates we don’t get the return in number of goals. That’s always going to spark the selfish arguement even if it’s that selfish streek that means our strikers do score. It’s just one of those stupid football discussion only worth ignoring. The team functions or it doesn’t.
Salah scored 2 against AV let’s hope he goes on and does better!

2 Likes

Why can’t we recognise Mane as a world class player and ALSO Salah? One gets in contention for awards and in teams of the year the other doesn’t.

1 Like

@Flobs why does Salah have to match the best individual season any forward has had in the league every year just to get recognised? So more consistent but lesser quality players should be celebrated more?