Mohamed SALAH: 2021/22

That’s old information or probably mixed without all updates.

2 Likes

And even that’s not a guarantee. Salah currently has a manager and teammates on perfect wavelength after 4 years playing together

What is the source for this? interesting seeing the comparisons, if it is accurate, Sadio and Robo are getting mugged, no wonder they look so angry on pitch.

1 Like

Yes, although it’s probably the most accurate of all the various lists I’ve seen.

Only Bobby, Robbo, Davies, Kelleher, Jones are inaccurate by more than 20% or so.

No mention of Phillips on this list?

2 Likes

Real:

They’re obviously bringing in Mbappe. Could they have Mbappe and Salah playing on the sides of Benzema? Yeah, we rave about Bobby’s link up skills, but Benzema is even better in that aspect (although not as good in defending as Bobby), arguably the best in the world apart from Messi (simply an isolated level, wherever and for whoever he plays). Although from Salah’s (or more importantly, from Real’s) perspective, it’s actually more of another “Salah” on the opposite side than a new “Mane”. I’m not sure if Real will be able to bring in Mbappe (albeit on a free, but he won’t be really free), Salah (for still a big fee) and whatever else they need (maybe something in defence, with their issues at CB and RB lately).

Barca:

Positionally, you’d say that there are positions up for grabs there, but their finances are a real mess. Depay’s recent work for club(s) and country as a false #9 is very good. I was wondering though what was the initial idea, when Messi was still there. Aguero up top, Messi off the right and Depay off the left? Not sure about that being the best possible fit at that moment for the near future. Anyway, there would be a place for Salah. Salah is stylistically not Messi, but he’d provide that directness and goals from the right side. Probably with Depay playing that central role and probably Fati off the left.

PSG:

Mbappe is obviously leaving. It was interesting already under Tuchel, because they got to the CL final by mixing the positions of Mbappe and Neymar. Neymar actually played more central, they had a little attempt at him playing a free central role and Mbappe off the left. Mbappe’s current evolution is still that of a wide forward goalscorer, because when/if he’s used up top, it’s then his back to goal that will be questioned for a top side (where you can’t be a Jamie Vardy only looking ahead/towards the goal/look for spaces). Possibly why City were never in for him, he’d have to play wide (and that means Pep-wide) left. Messi is still mainly used off the right, but is sometimes playing as a single #10, when PSG shift to 4-2-3-1 (again, not the Liverpool role for Salah there). Somehow, I see the least positional space for Salah at PSG. In a 4-3-3, Messi would still play his usual role off the right. But playing high right side at Liverpool and playing central striker is not really the same. The position(s) Mbappe is leaving are not those of Salah. You could say on paper that Neymar & Messi are losing their runner in behind and that Mo is another one. In the last few games, PSG have even tried with Neymar at the single #10, Messi off the right (them two playing closest ever to each other) and Di Maria (important piece for balance) on the left. I actually think the PSG “link” is a little bit lazy. Even if Messi and Salah are not really comparable other than them being left foot dominant, as long as Messi is there, I don’t see much sense for Salah.

1 Like

I have wondered whether the Messi deal was meant for one season while Barca get their house in order.

Forgot to add, even if they’re not comparable, that means they are complimentary. But they play too close to each other, still. I just don’t see them two ever playing together.

In the summer, the rumours were that Real were planning to get Rudiger on a free next year.

Yeah, they’re a little bit light in defence. Carvajal is having some injuries. They’re having to cover that RB area with either Vazquez or Valverde. At CB, they have Militao, Nacho and Alaba (who is also playing LB). You never know what the f*ck are Real up to, but with the (backup) midfield question now sort of(?) sorted with Camavinga in, I could see them going for Mbappe and someone in defence.

1 Like

This so true but back then we were in a position where we had to make some gambles.

If we sell Mo it will be for a stupid fee.

I’d want that reinvested for a sure thing… not a gamble

It wasn’t a gamble. It was a well researched investment.

4 Likes

The thing is this means fuck all really, I’ve pointed out multiple times Salah actually already earns £400k a week but heavily made up by bonuses. The rest of the squad is the same.

There is a reason our wage bill is top 5 in the world, yet our highest basic wage per week is £220k.

1 Like

that’s kind of my point, that I’ve been saying the whole time. he makes £30mil a year, how much more does he need to make to feel validated? I swear, some footballers judge their worth by $$$, not the silverware they’ve won.

1 Like

Funny that the Globe thinks they have insight in the contracts of Liverpool players.

funny how you think I only looked at one source for this. there’s multiple. that’s the only one that had it in an easy format (quasi-excel) to copy/paste without looking like shit.

The more I read when there are stories from the likes of joyce who I rate as the most reliable I find it important he specifically names the agent as asking for more money, not Salah. Which seems to point where the club think the problem lies.

Salah also has his own image rights, which is worth over a £100k a week as well.

100% spot on. Agents are a plague on this sport. EA Sports even created a storyline in FIFA19 about it.

1 Like

Mo was very happy with his terms on FIFA 2020 when I offered them to him.

But yeah these things take time it’s not Mo meeting Klopp and his agent in some swanky restaurant or office.

2 Likes