Mohamed SALAH: 2021/22

Forgive me if I don’t trust social media and “pretty reliable people”. The club has been mostly firm on leaks in the last few seasons, with any leaks usually coming from the other side of the negotiating table. In this case it doesn’t benefit the said other party, so why should any of this information be true?

4 Likes

I don’t give a shit if you don’t believe it, that’s your prerogative. I posted it for the people on here who don’t have an awkward stick stuck up their arse.

You mean the people who pretend to have an understanding of what the club’s inner workings/structure are like so they can work themselves up into a frenzy when it actually doesn’t turn out to be the case?

5 Likes

Really, it simply comes down to right now Mo and his Agent are asking for more money (and/or more guaranteed money), than the club are offering. They will most likely all compromise and come to an agreement.

If they don’t, the club will say Mo was greedy (directly or indirectly) and Mo (or more likely his agent) will say the club was cheap and unfair. The truth will be somewhere in between, but he will likely be sold in the summer in that scenario.

I have no knowledge or inside info, but that what it always comes down to except in rare situations where there is some drama or personal conflict going on behind the scenes - which doesn’t at all appear to be the case here.

1 Like

I dont think the points made sound a non credible version of events. Whether or not the figures are correct, it isnt unreasonable to think both parties are engaged, as everyone would expect, in very complex negotiations.

Mo will be one of the most sought after players, entering possible his last and most significant contract. The club having relatively limited financial power compared to all their rivals having to be careful on how they approach this.

1 Like

I dont see why this has become the de facto expectation. Such narratives around greed stem from fans or media, not the club. It’s perfectly possible he accepts an offer from another club who pay more - doesn’t make us cheap or him greedy. In such circumstances, I expect the club to make positive noises about him wanting to move for a new challenge or something if they can’t agree years with him.

1 Like

Klopp knows!

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1467857630467137541?s=20

Hopefully this link from social media is acceptable…

5 Likes

You see, my point wasn’t so much about whether negotiations are complex or not. They undoubtedly are.

My point was that we have no information about what he actually earns, nor how that is structured.

2 Likes

I think someone made the point about De Bruyne taking 6 months and City piss money.

Klopp rightly suggests patience

6 Likes

I suspect his people are asking for more than this.

I don’t think they would have a problem paying more of his incentives up front - after all, Mo has demonstrated year on year that he is more than worth it. And it isn’t a hard sell to the rest of the squad either. Yes he gets more upfront than you, but he is also the lad that ensures that you get you win bonuses.

4 Likes

That’s the figures I read, I think it’s about a small ish increase overall as Mo hits most of his bonuses anyway.

The important bit is how much forms the basic, if that figure is double anyone else in the club, that sell you mention becomes very hard indeed.

I think this point has been made (and ignored) a few times. No need to believe the media narrative about something or to assume that because there hasn’t been an announcement as yet, that the club have forgotten about it. Just like six months ago with Henderson.

2 Likes

Well again, even without specific numbers I think we know enough to understand that the complexity comes from the total wage packet and its structure.

This, if signed, will be his 3rd contract at the club. It’s therefore reasonable to assume his second contract put him towards the top end of our wage structure given how quickly it came after his first one.

Likewise, we know the club are concerned with controlling wage costs. We can therefore reasonably assume a big chunk of wage costs will be incentivized.

1 Like

It’s beginning to feel like baiting. We working on it, 18 months left, we are close, 14 months left, Just finer details to sort out, 12 months left, signing imminent, 8 months left, contracts on the table 6 months left….

I saw that this could create problems at the time and where we are now is one of those forseeable problems. I mentionned it at the time and got my usual responses from the ‘give him what he wants crowd’ but it is where this issue got complicated.

On another point, I’m not too concerned if Salah goes as I think we will find a solution or solutions. It clearly is better if he stays but not at any price. Let him negociate with other clubs and I’m sure he will see it’s not that easy, except of course if it’s Manure or PSG. If he goes to either of them then it will be obvious what type of person he is.

End of the day he’s been our best player since he arrived. Some are jumping on the bandwagon with that this season but it’s been true since day one. He was top of the wage structure as it was after his first extension and now some others have been brought up to being in and around him so he needs a leap in earnings again. Obviously we are talking high value haggling here though so there’ll be a lot of “he’s asking too much” in media friendly with the club to put pressure on him and his reps. In return there’ll be a lot of “I’m committed and want to stay here if it cam be resolved but its not my decision” on his part to pressure the club. But behind all that there’s a series of haggles going on in the background over length, basic amount, bonuses structures, signing bonuses, if the amounts drop down in the final year (something we apparently tend to do with our contracts) and how much the basic/bonus amounts drop down to.

Realistically anyone we could get to come close to replicating what he does would cost at least the same kind of wages as it’ll cost to keep him here and also require a huge restructure. There’s nobody out there in the world coming close to his levels of goal contribution at a decent level from right wing. We lose him we need to restructure so we have more goals coming from elsewhere. Maybe something as demanding as Haaland up top in a 4231 with Mane and Firmino in the 3? Mbappe left wing with Mane moving to right wing and work on getting more goals from midfield? But don’t fancy our chances on either of those as things stand.

Apart from that we have to gamble again. Hope the recruitment team can look at the raw data and pull off another masterstroke. But despite how good we’ve been at that we’ve only signed one Salah. Even if we sign a right winger version of Alisson/VvD it may not be enough and would almost be same level wages as to keep Salah you’d think plus a huge fee. A more realistic hope would be a Robertson/Fabinho style signing who may take a while to settle but work his way to becoming a “best in the world in his position” contender. But that’ll almost mean we forfeit our chances at the PL and CL that year as we really have to be at our best throughout to compete.

If we have a write off year the year we replace Salah we’ll almost certainly have to replace either or both of Firmino and Mane the following year or a couple down the line. Meaning constant rebuild going on and never quite being set to challenge in Klopps remaining years after this one. And AFCON could yet fuck up this one for us.

I’m just very very worried about what will happen next if Salah leaves in the summer, I can’t see a “Keegan out, Kenny in” situation. More like the clusterfuck when we lost Suarez and just couldn’t do anything to sign anyone to acceptably replace him. It won’t be the same catastrophic level as that because other factors like Gerrard suffering what seemed like PTSD and Sturridge hardly kicking a ball all season contributed almost as much as Suarez being replaced by Balotelli in my eyes. But it still won’t be good.

4 Likes

I am still hopeful he will extend but if not I am convinced he will see his contract out and walk on a free to receive a huge sign on bonus from his next club.

2 Likes

Funny, after hearing Klopp talk about it I feel more convident that he will sign a new contract :+1:

3 Likes

That’s what I took from that, it’s usually not something he would be open about.

1 Like

I feel he was the same with Gini signing a new contract.