Mohamed SALAH: 2023/24

I’m just extremely comfortable with it.

I’ve reached the point where I don’t think a new contract should be offered but I wouldn’t mind if we give him one more season on more of a rotation basis.

1 Like

Funny, but something crossed my mind the other day in terms of him and Salah.

This season, Klopp got a lot of credit for his substitutions, timing, selections, etc. Like, he’s bold and doesn’t wait too long, just goes for it.

He probably knew even before the announcement that this is his final season here.

Lately, you could see that he’s not waiting for Salah too long, like perhaps we used to in the past, even when he was off form (like spring of 2022, post-AFCON).

Think Klopp in last months went “I’m just going to go with what I think is right”, more than ever. Worrying less about what a certain Salah will feel or think in the moment. As there is no future together anymore.

So it was always going to raise the risk of something happening, whereas there would be more cautious with each other in recent seasons.

That said, I think it’s not a big deal and there are “incidents” like this happening much more than we know/see on the outside.

1 Like

Do we think Edwards will be keen on paying a rotation option 300k a week? For me it’s either a sale or an extension on reduced terms, and the sale would seem to be the far more likely outcome. His time here seems to be coming to a natural end and a fresh start for both parties is probably needed.

If he can’t sell him then?

Ultimately it is up to Slot how much he plays him, they will know the data. As I said I’m comfortable and I think our forward line would benefit from options

Anyone else considered that last summer Salah might have looked for and got assurances that Klopp was sticking around for a while, before all the Saudi transfer rumours came to nothing?

There is a lot of recency bias in this.

You don’t get 23 goals and 12 Assists if you aren’t a really, really good footballer playing at the highest level. A recent slump, post injury, does not make a disappointing individual season.

Mo Salah will decide what he does. He has a year on his contract, which means if he wants another crack at the Premier League he is going nowhere.

If he wants to go, I’m sure Edwards and Hughes will facilitate that, and I don’t think he will get another deal after this one - that’s not how they roll. But nobody is forcing him to the Saudi League.

I am still of the opinion that the smart money is on Salah seeing out his contract, moving to another European League for 2-3 years and then going to the MLS. Given his commercial deals and off the pitch stuff, that makes more sense to me that Saudi League.

7 Likes

Two passionate men have a go at each other on the line, and its blown way out of context.

The hand wringing, the calls to ditch our best striker in a generation because he has a bit of passion.
For fuck sake, get a grip.

6 Likes

It isn’t a good look, and Mo (IMO) is out of order. But I suspect we’ll be talking about it here long after Klopp and Salah has forgotten it.

3 Likes

Absolutely
We will analyse this for ages.
Two mature men will get over it as professionals do.

Would have blown over quicker had he not seemingly doubled down and made a stupid, provocative comment when walking through the mixed zone after Jurgen went out of his way to draw a line under it in his post match interview. Now we know what the first question is going to be when he sits down to do the Spurs press conference next week.

I wonder how Slot is with egomaniacs? Never wanted him sold but after today I think it’s a good idea. He has not been the same since injury and while away we were scoring lots but as soon as he returned our problems started.

It’s amazing how many people have decided that they know exactly what transpired between them and have come to the conclusion that Salah is an egomaniac who shouldn’t play again for the club.

1 Like

Not his decision to make. It would be Hughes.

Think it looks very different if you look at the video of him saying it.

madness. Salah got injured at the AFCON came back got injured again. He is evidently not at his sharpest following this. He’s been coming off in games after 70 odd minutes. Klopp decided to leave him out in a must win game. Tensions were very high and they had a spat.

I listened to Micah Richards talking about Salah a few years ago. When they were at Fiorentina together Salah made it abundantly clear to him that his dream was to paly for Liverpool FC. He wants to win just as much as any Liverpool supporter.

When he scores 30 goals for us next season (with no AFCON and a good preseason under him) he’ll be the greatest thing since pickled onion monster munch again.

Fickle nonsensical fans should stick to being ridiculed on twitter.

5 Likes

Roast beef.

Saw a comment:

“I’m surprised Darwin didn’t miss Salah when he tried to push him away.”

:joy:

1 Like

If Salah stays, I can’t see Slot using him as a winger, if it’s true about how he basically uses and rinses them.

It’d be very interesting to see him as a No.10, or maybe up front. Even during the games recently, he’s been all over the pitch, as he wants more of the ball, but he’s often isolated out wide.

So basically, you can’t see how Salah slots in?

1 Like

You hit the jackpot when you reeled out that comment