Mohamed SALAH: 2024/25

1 Like

https://x.com/BBCSport/status/1831203036179656724?t=tL6kGTiHunexkyukHJ69fA&s=09

2 Likes

At some point we are going to have to replace him,but how much is it going to cost us to replace a 20 goal,10 assist,ever present player.

The brutal truth is we probably canā€™t, on a like-for-like basis. But I feel like someone like Kvara could come in and be a 10-goal, 20-assist player potentially, and tactically we can pivot to getting more goals from our CF, whether thatā€™s Jota, Nunez or someone else entirely.

3 Likes

There genuinely isnā€™t any wide player in Europe pulling those kind of numbers bar the 2 lads at Madrid & Foden/Bowen and even then to an extent all 4 have played their fare share of games as the main forwards/goal threat in the absence of an out and out #9.

Weā€™re again going to have to develop one if the idea is to put the onus for most goals on the wide players or a wide player. If we get it right first time, then 40-50m (like a Kudus before he went to West Ham)ā€¦if we donā€™t, very costly. Look how many times Utd have tried replacing the goals of Ronaldo.

After Salah I see us going back to the days where Diaz becomes our Benayoun, Nunez our Torres and Chiesa our Kuyt and naturally the goal scoring responsibilities would shift onto Nunez.

1 Like

So you donā€™t replace him, you recreate him in the aggregate

Much easier said than done.We will lose some goals from wide right when he leaves but whoever comes in might get us similar numbers as Jota,Diaz,Gakpo and Nunez but those lads would need to up their numbers in order to fill the void he leaves.

1 Like

I think the bigger question would be whether we dip in goals scored/xG when he doesnā€™t play, which is not an easy question to answer given how much he does play.

Would like to have 2 seasons of a swap over. There is a big question mark on a player like Chiesa but he is there to offer that cover.

2 Likes

We might lose some goals from the wide right, but that doesnā€™t mean we canā€™t recreate those goals from elsewhere on the pitch

1 Like

As we saw with Hendo, it only really helps if the player is also still able to perform on match days, but day to day Mo is also such a great professional and an incredible influence. Go into any pro team at the beginning of preseason when they are doing the fitness testing and you will typically find a large collection of players trying to find loopholes and ways to take short cuts. The impact on the young players of seeing a player of Moā€™s stature take it so seriously (there are clips of him seeing Dom show up and then saying that if Dom beats his performance he wants to be able to have another go at the test) is immeasurable. You cannot create a culture of excellence without your most important players embodying it and that is not common for a player at his stage of his career who has already earned more money than he can ever spend.

6 Likes

Ohhhā€¦ fuck.

1 Like

Scenes when it turns out that Salah was impeding him all this whileā€¦ somehow.

We will be different without Salah but we will find our next star forward or someone will step up. Same with our next star CB.

Different perhaps but it happens all the time so I am not worried. What we may need to suck up is the fact that it may take a season or two longer than we want.

Edwards / Hughes seem to embody the motto of ā€œliving to fight another dayā€ which might mean (which I fear) a temporary drop in the table for a season or two to rebuild canā€™t be ruled out unfortunately.

But it also means we will be sustainable and back.

1 Like

Indeed :muscle:. Though I do think that the Salah, Mane, Bobby era might be the best (and most enjoyable) period Iā€™ll ever have as a Liverpool fan

4 Likes

Quoting myself, because suddenly, I thought about Suarez and looked up his stats: 133 games, 82 goals and 34 assists. Goals average: 0,617!!! :fire: :fire: :fire: And thatā€™s while playing in a largely mediocre team. What. a. player! None of the old legends come even close to that average, only Mo.

I only see one thing for Salah now Iā€™ve seen this: sign a new contract with the club and do even better than until now, in order to beat Luis as the most prolific striker ever. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Slip this into Moā€™s mailbox, along with a new contract.

Jobā€™s a guddunā€™!

1 Like

Hate to make any comparison with the prick, but just reading that half of Ronaldoā€™s 900 goals have come after he turned 30.

Salah seems to have similar drive and fitness (though a far better human). Donā€™t see any reason why he canā€™t keep scoring at the top level for another 4-5 years. Sign him up!

4 Likes

Does this include those scored in the Saudi League?