Most disliked pundit

McCoist is the opposite end of the spectrum from Tyler. Maybe too enthusiastic for some but I love him

4 Likes

I like McCoist especially in the PL, a bit annoying for Rangers coverage but yeah on Amazon he is really good, he is the only one I actually will listen to in a game rest of the time itā€™s music.

Might do it for Wolves if we donā€™t get Tyler as the other guy on Sky isnā€™t too bad and I can tolerate Carragher who is likely to be the co-commentator.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to the pub. Noise drowns the commentators out

1 Like

Under appreciatedā€¦

1 Like

He also not only played the game but gave managing a serious go too giving him some wider insight into the game. Good to see he is able to use that in his commentry.

4 Likes

Heā€™s a bit like Ian Wright and his opinions on football. Both jst seems to enjoy good teams, good footballers and good football games. No weird agenda to try and look un-biased like Carra etc. Itā€™s very refreshing.

3 Likes

Has anyone mentioned Martin Tyler?

Heā€™s a cunt by the way in case you didnā€™t know.

5 Likes

I was hoping he would have retired but the fact he hasnā€™t announced it would suggest he isnt

Yeah love a big of Ian Wright also

1 Like

I expect heā€™s waiting for his knighthood first

Itā€™s one of the reasons I like Dixon as a commentator. It is clear in his commentary that heā€™s deeply committed to Arsenal, yet can present that side of him without it biasing his commentary.

5 Likes

Heā€™s employed by Sly which is owned by Murdoch who also owns the S#n. Heā€™s also a c#nt btw.

Many will take issues with Johnsonā€™s conclusion ,but Iā€™m ignoring that for now to focus on what is the bigger issue with punditry

Itā€™s tough because I think theyā€™re both fantastic. I think Trent is just about better on the ball and has got a better delivery, but to be fair to Reece that sounds harsh because heā€™s fantastic as well. Iā€™d say Trent is better going forward and Reece James is better defensively, but all round, Iā€™d have to say Reece James is better."

His entire opinion is based upon absolutely nothing. At no point does he explain his thinking or justify his opinion. He just reiterates his opinion. What is the point? I think in this specific case, the likely newsiness of it is ā€œex player player rates Chelsea player as betterā€, but I raise it as this is the general standard for punditry. Simply giving an opinion adds nothing to the conversation, so why do so many people get paid to do nothing more than that?

5 Likes

Bit harsh. Sure he cheers when we score and loves rubbing it in with Neville. I just find him annoying to listen to in the commentary box. Heā€™s fine as a pundit back in the studio

1 Like

Sky hasnā€™t been owned by Murdoch for several years now, Comcast went and outbid him when he tried to take full control.

Itā€™s why their news is actually pretty decent nowadays.

Glen Johnson is an empty airhead. Physically he had lots of talent but could never get it together and he just isnā€™t qualified to comment on TAAs defending. Heā€™s in that group of overrated england defensive players who we used to have - David James, Glen Johnson, Mark Wright etc

1 Like

Mostly agree. These are my evaluations:

David James ā€“ no doubt about the talent, but the application. Would have been better served had he moved to a club with less expectations and then come to us in his mid-20s after a solid 200 games under his belt. As it was, came to us in his early 20s from the second division. He matured in his 30s to carve out a more than decent career.

Mark Wright ā€“ record fee for an English defender. Was club captain lifting the 1992 FA Cup with ā€œYou fucking beauty!!!ā€. He then faded out. He was good on the ball and of course dominant in the air. Having to partner with the likes of Torben Piechnik with Julian Dicks marauding/deluding down the the left was, letā€™s say, somewhat challenging.

After a long spell with problems (was it attitude?) he somehow survived the transition from Souness (physical players with less talent; Istvan Kozma anyone?) to Roy Evans. With Ruddock, Scales and Babb in the team, I remember Wright coming back into the team with the right attitude and doing really well between 1995 to 1997.

Glen Johnson ā€“ in 2009 was a huge fee for a full back. Strongly agree with you here, that he didnā€™t live up to it. Had a few good games here and there, but for the fee, and at age 25 when he came, much more should have been delivered.

Iā€™m sure Mark Wright was plagued with injuries.

1 Like

He was. Was really good for a season with Nicol i think. But he also had a habit of dropping off the back line when they were playing offsideā€¦

1 Like

Because he was slow. He made Rhys Williams look like Usain Bolt.

1 Like