New European Super League

Interesting points from both sides of the argument.

2 Likes

It’s a clearly a shot across UEFA’s bows telling them to rethink their ideas for a revamped CL.

There will be talks, there will be compromise, and the big clubs will get their way with UEFA coming up with a ‘Super Champions League’ in which certain clubs are guaranteed places in the CL. Maybe the guaranteed clubs would be the ten best historical European Cup / CL record, or the top ten in the UEFA co-efficient table. Maybe.

Having said that, at the moment it doesn’t look like any German or French clubs are going to join the ‘breakaway’ which would put a spanner in the works of the dastardly plot. UEFA and the English, Spanish and Italian leagues could then threaten the ESL clubs with immediate expulsion from all European competitions. I don’t think it’ll come to that, though. Compromise will reign and UEFA will give in to some of the ESL clubs’ demands.

1 Like

That could maybe still happen and as I already have said, this whole situation could have been probably completely avoided if they had involved the clubs more into the decision making etc.

Imo the clubs just have enough, “Schnauze voll” as we say. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

they will
 this whole thing will force serious changes if uefa, fa fifa want to survive

1 Like

It’s wrong because it’s new. Look, football was always going to trend this way. There just aren’t enough fans to keep the hundreds of teams in the black, which is why the teams at the top have to give so much money all the way down the pyramid. As a trade-off, the lower leagues become a de-facto farm system for player development, but even then it’s not sustainable. The overwhelming majority of football fans support one of the big clubs. Over a long enough time period, that will continue to consolidate and there just won’t be enough fans to allow many of the smaller clubs to exist as they do today.

This is just the next inevitable phase of football, and it began when they started selling advertising and sponsorships for televised games. The teams at the top are everything, everyone else is playing for scraps. Hard truth, but truth nonetheless. We should be grateful that FSG rescued us and got us our seat back at the table.

4 Likes

ultimately there has to be serious changes. the game as is is jus not sustainable for the players. playing all year with no breaks and stupid tournaments to boot

2 Likes

The player welfare angle is such transparent bullshit when the proposed ESL format is a guaranteed 18 games vs. current CL 6 guaranteed games vs. new-look CL which is 10 guaranteed games.

1 Like

But there won’t be any league cup or FA cup games anymore I think? At least that’s how I understand it.

1 Like

I don’t believe any of the 12 clubs have made a statement to the effect that they would withdraw from their domestic cups.

1 Like

I have no idea whether and how all of this can be arranged. Klopp would probably be ok with it if that means the players are more protected and they can no longer ask for an incredible amount of games to be played in the shortest possible time etc.

That would be the only advantage for me and something that I think would be ok for JĂŒrgen too. Because that was always a big criticism point from him all along.

Seriously, do Arsenal and Tottenham in their current form seem so “Super”? From “can’t qualify for Europa League” to automatic qualification for European Super League. Not for me.

4 Likes

exactly this
 UEFA/FIFA/FA all being forced to the table
 there is jus so much wrong with the game at present and these associations were happy jus collecting tv and sponsership money without any real change. Good on the super teams to force them to the table
 whichever way this goes, there will be real changes

2 Likes

They have large fanbases and large new stadia. That’s the main prerequisite here.

1 Like

newcastle???

2 Likes

If (big if) this kicks off next season, we can send the first 11 off on holiday now as 4th is irrelevant.

1 Like

I think, eventually, this Super League is going to expand to look something like the Champions League in terms of size and paths for qualification for everyone who isn’t guaranteed a spot. Except in this format, the 15 clubs will be guaranteed a spot - perhaps adding PSG and Bayern - and then you’ll see another group of clubs who will be able to qualify through their domestic performances.

The difference in this format is that the founding clubs will control the league, rather than the bureaucrats at UEFA.

1 Like

Is VAR going to be used?

1 Like

What is the legal speak of LFC leaving ECA?

simon pegg police GIF

3 Likes

I’m not being purposefully glib but if LFC really did leave the ECA and there is no CL football next season, other than competitive pride, I’m not sure what meaning the remaining matches results even carry.

EDIT: and as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, how does The Boss handle the questions in his pre or post match media duties.

2 Likes