New European Super League

I agree, the revamped CL looks terrible too, but it is choosing the lesser evil.
Also, Villareal and Sevilla should be in ESL, they have earned the right as well.

1 Like

Money is God. Don’t worry about the details.

Who wouldn’t want to watch the fight between 15th and 16th for league position that will bring in an additional win bonus. Who wouldn’t want to fork out only £99.99 for the privilege to watch the epic battle of the first half. Then they can buy the second half package for only an additional £69.99. Bargain.

They can also order their official ESL merchandise made from the cotton from a certain region, while watching the match take place in a futuristic Qatar stadium built on the willing sacrifice of migrants from Nepal, India and Bangladesh.

The time difference watching Man Utd v Arsenal will make it get the nostalgic feeling of watching a Thrilla in Manila fight.

What’s not to like.

1 Like

SKY aren’t run by Murdoch, Comcast bought out Sky in it’s entirety a couple of years back.

They are backing it because it’s a populist thing to do and football doesn’t just revolve around 6 owners of 6 football clubs only two you could make a case for being popular across the country.

Ah ok fair enough…

Sky are just the same or does everyone forget them charging fans ÂŁ15 per game during a pandemic when a lot were struggling.

I hope this is just all a power play, the website looks like something I could have made…

1 Like

The idea of a super league, where certain clubs are guaranteed places regardless of performance, just seems wrong. Prior to the 1970s, Liverpool probably wouldn’t have ranked as a big club in terms of European pedigree, so how would it feel to be left behind?

1 Like

Fixed it for you. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I have no time for the TV companies, they’ve had more games for less money with the rebate and everything they can go fuck themselves, shame the EPL haven’t sat around and gone let’s make a EPL channel.

It’s why I expect this will go that route.

I couldn’t care less about the money. The problem is the guaranteed participation. It renders domestic leagues deprecated. Unless you are fighting for the title, what’s the point in playing your first eleven week in week out? It won’t matter if you come 2nd or 12th.

Not to mention the fact that no one wants to see Liverpool vs Real Madrid every season.

1 Like

UEFA, all the major leagues have hit back at this super league.
Uff!

So which is better?

I personally think Uefa, Fifa, Caf etc wield way too much power over the game. They basically hold a monopoly on the game and has overseen incredible corruption as a result.

1 Like

This planned Super League would be a different topic. Nothing to do with CL. Maybe we need a new thread?
I am really confused atm, I 've read we have signed up to this as well as the other top 6 English clubs. Is this true?

That’s so wrong imo. And a lot of anger everywhere. Disappointing.

3 Likes

Funny when we laugh at some other elite clubs as Liverpool fans, yet we’re pretty much in the same boat.

:joy:

5 Likes

So UEFA could ban us from the Premier League?

The earlier link posted by @Kopstar said five of our big six had agreed. This one has all six.

Someone is telling porkies.

3 Likes
2 Likes

At the moment I think all sides are brave and proud with their statements.

Yet I think they will all sit down in the near future, we don’t know enough details yet.

2 Likes

The concept of a breakaway European league has been discussed for many years, with UEFA adapting the Champions League in response.

Seems to me a power play going on, and maybe will again be placated by UEFA conceding some things to adapt the Champions League so that it skews even more towards a hereditary system rather than a merit based one.

And if it actually goes ahead, it will be a glorified Europe wide NFL franchise system style with no soul. Over 140 years of tradition binned. The end game will be to bring in a couple of US franchises to cash in, then a team from China to exploit the growing middle classes of the Asian market, etc.

I know the details are not there yet, but I would be against it just on principle. Call me an old git; I don’t care.

6 Likes

So does this mean our owners want to participate in the CL but also in the Super League?

Totally against a European super league, the European nights are magical, pitting you club against the other great football teams on rare occasions lifts them beyond the mundane and makes them special.

There will be no more nights like the one against Barca.

Some of the maguc will be forever lost

6 Likes