New European Super League

I posted on my Facebook that one day those in charge of football will make a decision that is good for the game.

The only one I can think of was Goal Line Technology and even thats had the odd issue. It was Lord Taylor that basically said grounds had to be done up, it was a decision by the judiciary, I still have a feeling that some clubs would be playing in fire hazards to this day if he hadn’t.

3 Likes

The proposed ESL structure will be modified, at the onset and over time. Yes, they will devise some mechanism to ensure that the founding clubs have guaranteed participation; it will probably include historical performance points (domestic and continental), fair-play points, social engagement points, boob sizes etc. etc.

But it will also allow other clubs based on their domestic performances. So it’s not exactly going to be a closed-shop. It will be pretty much like the Leagues where the promoted clubs mostly have a day in the Sun before going back to scrap-fight once more.

1 Like

I would rather be uncool, then sell my soul to the devil.

4 Likes

Times shouldn’t change to a point where rich clubs can just take their ball and start their own league. I support a Liverpool that competes on merit. We’ve not qualified for a European Super League, so why should we be in one?

It’s an absolute disgrace. I don’t want to police folk’s tone - I do understand the temptation to be resigned to this, but I just think is a time for anger. The club claims to listen to the fans, but we’ve had no consultation about any of this. It’s just a few wealthy profiteers in a boardroom deciding for us. We have no ownership over the process. Where’s our pride?

Also, to be quite frank: fuck the Liverpool “brand”. I don’t want my team to be a brand. I love Liverpool because of its history, its culture and, importantly, its ethos. It’s something deeply ingrained in the club and the city, personified by Bill Shankly in particular. He’d have had little time for the Premier League and absolutely zero time for this Super League sham.

3 Likes

The problem is football is broken, and this is simply moving it from one broken model to another.

Money has corrupted the sport. A part of me longs for the game 25 year ago. No VAR, you could tackle, no Shieks or Oligarchs. When the FA cup was still important, and you would watch the World Cup for the sheer joy of watching fantastic players you had never heard of.

It’s slowly eroded the game. FIFA and UEFA have been as much of a cancer as greedy owners and Sky TV.

17 Likes

You’re right, of course. But that’s not a reason for us to sit back and let it denigrate further. It’s time for fans to stand up and retaliate.

2 Likes

Problem I have with this is you look at it and it could easily have been proposed then and there, this feeding down of finance sounds exactly like what the PL proposed, I read The Club a while back which is about the PL and it’s formation and it’s very much the same clubs with the same talk, only difference is instead of feeding into the league below via promotion/relegation they’ve left half of Europe out of a tournament and then called it the European Super League, and beyond 7 teams in it there is absolutely nothing super about 5 of them.

1 Like

The thing is Maria our souls were sold in 92… The introduction of the Premiership and Sky ripped the soul out of the English game…

Ticket prices used to be £5… Now £60
Shirts were £10… Now £100

Clubs had to adapt to keep up, now you have entire countries funding limitless spending to get to the top… Surely change is needed (not saying this is it though)

7 Likes

Yeah it’s just the richest clubs. That’s the only criterion! Cheaty are virtually unknown in Europe and only have a handful of recently purchased domestic trophies under their belts. Why the fuck should they be ‘founding members’, with a guaranteed place in any sort of European competition? It’s fucking stupid.

2 Likes

Τhis’s the best case scenario.

However, there is little incentive for the break away clubs to back down. UEFA are all bark and no bite. The fans after they rage and moan on social media will tune in like always. The players might actually be in place to do something about it but that seems highly improbable particularly since their wages would skyrocket.

Frankly this is an insult to Nobby Stiles and the game that he loved.

7 Likes

Or, as Ian Holloway would have it

:joy:

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

YES!

1 Like

Purely and simply I hate the concept. I’ve always loved domestic football so if this happens I’ll not follow football anymore.

2 Likes

Not sure what to think tbh, it’s not their business imo

1 Like

Just bung them half a million they are corrupt as they come anyhow.

I understand a local MP worried about the impact on their clubs but this lot are just populist knuckle dragging wankers.

I thought they were keen on leaving overgrown not fit for purpose European organisations

6 Likes

Yep. Everyone needs to calm their tits.

Same thing happened with Project Big Picture. People reacted wildly because they fear change. People failed to understand the actual big picture was that the proposal only existed because football is in quite a dire state.

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Well if Bojo is siding against this league… It tells me I must side with it.

12 Likes

I think the breakaway clubs could stand to lose a lot, if for example, they were ejected from their respective domestic leagues. Would the ESL on its own generate sufficient interest/revenue to be self sustaining in the long term?

All parties must surely recognise that they need their counterparts to survive and thrive and will negotiate.