New European Super League

It is like oil rich countries or greedy American businessmen who own sport Franchises buying our beloved clubs is so upsetting.
I feel like burning all my LFC shirts and memorobillia.
Players and managers should go on strike. There cannot be any football without the players or fans

Iā€™m going to reserve judgement. Or rather, Iā€™m going to let Jurgen decide for me. If he wants to know more about it before commenting, cool. If he thinks itā€™s a shit idea and an abomination then Iā€™m with him, but if heā€™s behind it then so am I.

I have total faith in the guy.

1 Like

I think if they donā€™t get certain teams on board it could basically destroy it and along with it the PL in itself.

Knowing everyone comes up with bad ideas I can half expect they will come to an agreement in which the winners of each European tournament play each other.

Be a bit like the Darts after a while.

I feel the same it just seems tacky and cheap winning the league has been tainted after everything we went through. Iā€™m angry to be honest.

2 Likes

Will the European Super League generate more money? Iā€™m actually quite doubtful.

Sure it is being painted by the detractors and critics as such, but it could be overwhelmingly less popular. There is a big risk that fans will not buy in and it will rake in less money. Where it is superior is in revenue stability. And that is big for clubs and their planning. Barcelona would go bankrupt quite quickly if they missed even one year of Champions league footballā€¦

I think the big clubs are more upset that they donā€™t have much voice and UEFA isnā€™t listening. Iā€™m actually waiting to hear that they have gotten back to the negotiating table and won a huge number of concessions.

Who cares about the money - we will continue getting raped financially by our club and football in general.

Itā€™s greed and itā€™s against all the principles that this club SHOULD stand for and I am fairly certain it is against the principles of the supporters of this club, this instituatuon.

1 Like

I see Ed Woodward and Andrea Agnelli have left their posts on the UEFA committee, Agnelli however has left to be Vice President of the Super League. Itā€™s on Sky Sports News.

From the BBCā€™s live footy news page ā€¦
Football finance expert Kieran Maguire has been looking at how the economics of a European Super League would work, calling the new league a ā€œfascinating, tawdry exercise by certain club ownersā€.

He told BBC Radio 5 Liveā€™s Wake Up to Money programme: ā€œit could be very lucrative for those owners.ā€

He added that ā€œif people view football purely as a money-making vehicle, then it does have some merit,ā€ but "having a sealed unit ā€“ effectively moving to an American-style franchise competition where thereā€™s no fear of relegationā€ would put off many fans.

"If it is being funded by JP Morgan, as the current rumours appear to indicate, that money will either be an advance or an upfront joining fee to the clubs to ask them to join this venture.

"Iā€™m sure that the clubs involved will form themselves an organisation and theyā€™ll then start to sell the broadcasting rights and identify commercial partners who want to pay for the privilege of having their products associated with this new franchise opportunity.

ā€œThe money generated from that will allow the league to pay out the clubs and to pay out the investors as well.ā€

Heā€™s a small piece, he knows how to say some things without really doing anything spectacular. I expect him to focus on the team and separate from club decisions. I donā€™t think heā€™ll quit now or anything like that, he canā€™t think like a fan.

I hate it when football coaches have to answer questions theyā€™re not really involved in.

When will we see John Henry appear at Kirkby and maybe answer a few questions of this off the pitch matter? Werner? Gordon? Anyone?

1 Like

Yes but the ramifications for the domestic leagues would be far worse. Expelling the clubs seems as nothing more than an idle threat.

And if UEFA is actually intending to follow through, what is it waiting for?

I think we can expect to see a lot of briefings over the next few days and weeks from those around the breakaway clubs disclosing details of the proposals theyā€™ve put to UEFA etc that were rebuffed. This feels a lot like Project Big Picture where outrage has dominated the narrative without anyone taking the time to properly reflect on what these clubs intend to do and, more importantly, how weā€™ve ended up here.

5 Likes
3 Likes

LFC have just lost an influential component of our fanbase. Removing our Kop flags is a massive statement of our unhappiness.

Omg!

4 Likes

:flushed: :pleading_face:

1 Like

There are rumours going around that Jurgen has resigned and announcement will been made at 3:30 pm

I hope this is not true.

1 Like

He said that in 2019 and this isnā€™t his latest stance I think

Yeah it was from 2019, Reddy posted it yesterday

Even if Klopp resigned he would see out todayā€™s game.

Henry is so obsessed with money. Shame he only gave Jurgen Ā£3.5m to spend in Jan when we had no defenders!

Funny thing is that the club already removed a lot of the flas from the Kop behind the goal, the players probably moaned that it affects their view on the goal = finishing!

:joy: