New European Super League

The big picture is that globalisation has decimated the notion that football is a working class game. Radical reform is needed. Football is in a dire state BECAUSE of these parasites.

1 Like

Where did you see that?

So Dortmund, Leipzig, Bayern, Porto and PSG have said no.

Real super league this!

2 Likes

Let me guess…twitter

Dont believe cretins on twitter Maria

1 Like

Wish I could “like” this more than once.

Bravo

1 Like

“What’s the incentive to perform well in the league now? Why should Klopp field his strongest team against Leeds in 9 hours other than his and his players’ pride and self-respect? Evidently it doesn’t matter anymore if we get top 4.”

You could argue the same at the moment? What’s the point of performing well in the league now, you just need to finish in the top 4. Assuming the 6 teams are still in the PL (which I’m sure they would be) we would all still want to win it. The issue is towards the end of the season if you’re not going to win then, apart from prize money from where you finish, it doesn’t matter if you finish 3rd or 9th (apart from ‘pride’). If you’re still in with a chance of winning this ESL then you put out a weaker side in the PL, if you’re not, then you presumably decide which has a bigger pot for finishing higher?

**Sigh… Lemmings, springs to mind. Or a bandwagon, I suppose. If I were to think about what your average supporter group wants:

1. Win Trophies
  2. Sign top players
  3. Pay top wages to players to get the top players
  4. Stadiums where you can just rock up on matchday and pay a pittance to get in. (Everton doesn’t count)
  5. No marketing
  6. Low Ticket prices with no increases
  7. The ability to watch a game, if you can’t get to the stadium, without a paying a dime.
  8. Dirt cheap replica kits
  9. An owner that will do all of this with a smile on their faces because they simply have to in order to fulfil the manifest destiny of the club
  10. Not do anything without the explicit consent of the fan groups because fan groups know exactly what is best.
  11. Have fucking proper kits that look cool and not have to market them overly much.
  12. Completely ignore that points 1-3 are by and large incompatible with points 4-12 and gloss over that our inability to change with the times post 1992 cost us decades as also rans just hoping to win a trophy every now and then.

Have I missed something?

7 Likes

It was on twitter account, but, Jurgen is trending right now.

I hope it is untrue. I didnt want to post it.

1 Like

Other clubs shouldn’t spend much.

The myth that unfettered and unregulated market capitalism is needed to run a successful business isn’t remotely true across great swathes of the economy and it certainly isn’t true for football either.

Alternative models exist. Alternative models can work. And they must if they want football to return to its roots as a working class game. In Germany, successful clubs aren’t standing for this shit, so why should we?

1 Like

I agree with Winter here, the gutless owners are getting the managers to do the answering of questions to the public about this ESL.

6 Likes

It is Bayern first, A N Other thereafter. Bayern have a good scam going, poach players on the cheap after they have run down, or almost run down their contracts, a few investments here and there, constant Champions League to swell the coffers. They’re mint, why would they change it. Anyone thinking refusal by clubs is just on principle is fooling themselves.

4 Likes

Don’t worry they are being smart and see how it pans out then they will pounce and join via the back door

1 Like

As others have said I find the format to be boring in the extreme. Playing Real Madrid, Barcelona etc should be highlight of a season but now it will just be routine. There will no longer be anything to get excited about, no higher level to aim for.

My love for the elite version of the game has dramatically reduced during Covid, I still love youth football, but this certainly doesn’t inspire me. Oh well, guess I’m out.

3 Likes

This, in my opinion, is a genuine concern and probably being missed out on. I lost interest in cricket post IPL, because it was just too much cricket. Playing English teams in Europe never is fun and doesn’t have the same charm as playing the others from the continent. It’s bound to become boring is what I think as well.

2 Likes

Just like semi-finals of the FA Cup at Wembley.

Just like the new Euro format, just to make all those new national stadiums pay off with more and more games there.

I think Steve Parrish has just summed it up perfectly. The elite clubs do not want to risk having seasons where they don’t qualify for the CL…we can finish below Everton every season now and still qualify …

My main fear though is that we actually become the Everton of the Super League with a bolted on 6-8th place. Great for the finances I guess

1 Like

Don’t think EU or UK governments have a leg to stand on.

You can not force clubs/businesses or individuals to belong to a private group.

Nor can you stop clubs/businesses or individuals forming a private group.

If anything this model supports what the UK/EU encourages private companies to do.

I would actually say that the actions/threats of FIFA and UEFA are more discriminatory. Banning players from international competitions because of the actions of their employer.

2 Likes