New European Super League

I don’t believe this, he probably knows about this step for a while already and he hasn’t looked or talked any different tbf.

This is just Twitter nonsense.

1 Like

Seems they consulted Porto at some point but they said no, wonder if this was a lot bigger than it looks on paper now.

Ex players are expressing their views.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was based on principle. I said there are alternative models we can learn from. I do think we SHOULD be refusing this on principle, though, given what Liverpool as a club and as a city purports to be about in terms of ethos. “This means more” is disingenuous bollocks if we don’t act on principle, a patronising brand exercise that mines Liverpool’s radical working class heritage and passionate fanbase for brand authenticity and then spits in our faces when the chance comes to make a buck for themselves.

2 Likes

“Good people” is slightly too much, but he’s right.

Just imagine Unai Emery tonight as Arsenal’s coach answering questions as if he was Arsenal’s owner.

:joy:

But can you not see how harmful this unregulated environment is for grassroots football, ordinary punters, the cities the clubs purport to represent etc.? Gary Neville is spot on. We urgently need strong oversight.

And yes, FIFA and UEFA are a disgrace as well.

Even our boys don’t want this rubbish league.

Unsurprised by this: Figo has long been a man of principle

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1384107255990132736

Now what? :joy:

hahahaha tbh it actually sounds pretty good…

I am very pleased to be standing for Hartlepool in the by-election happening on the 6th of May. Just like everyone else I have been locked away for too long and am really looking forward to coming up to Hartlepool in a few weeks to win votes for the Loony Party. I am hoping to knock the Labour ‘red wall’ down with a loony landslide and replace it with a yellow hedgerow of insanity.
I would very much like to thank my election agent George Stuart, aka ‘Sir Adrian Wall’, our minister for Scottish Widows and other Highland affairs, and ‘Dotty Dot’ for collecting the ten nominations.
We’ve all been inside for too long, I’ve had my first jab and looking forward to my second vaccination and after the election I very much hope to be Hartlepool’s next MP!
I am a single issue politician,and have had a long-standing campaign for the abolition of gravity.
My other policies:

• The Houses of Parliament will be relocated next to Hartlepool Marina.
  • To halt the spread of new Covid variants all international travel will be by paddle steamer.
  • We will enrol the Hartlepool ‘Victoria Arms’ darts team to speed up the pace of the vaccination program.
  • Hartlepool Golf Club will be re-developed into an intergalactic space port.
  • Visiting EU officials in Brexit trade talks with the UK will be required to wear a Darlington football strip. This will ruin their game.
  • Return the British currency to pounds, shillings, pence, farthings and groats. Rural villages such as Hart can resume trade in shiny beads.
  • The Official Monster Raving Loony Party would create fifty trillion pounds through quantitative easing and give all voters free lunch and complimentary drinks for ever.
  • The Loony Party will issue ‘looncoin’ a crypto currency based on ‘bitcoin’ as a reserve currency just in case the fifty trillion pounds quantitative easing doesn’t work.
  • All our remaining gold reserves will be placed on the last race at the Sedgefield Races in a bid to reduce the national debt.
  • Coastal fishing will be made a spectator sport by introducing saltwater crocodiles into Hartlepool Bay.
4 Likes

Absolutely. There’s political consensus on the issue, so just siding against Boris with a greedy comglomerate certainly isn’t smart.

Also worth pointing out that Labour’s manifesto in 2019 under Corbyn had very bold proposals to rejuvenate grassroots football, promote fan ownership and reduce the power of billionaire owners. Inevitably, it was a big opportunity missed.

1 Like

Absolutely

I don’t support it at all. It’s a disgrace.

My position is the. Game needs a reset. I would be going the other way. Salary and transfer caps. Homegrown requirements in your first 11.

CL a straight KO format from start to finish. A 50:50 split of top tier football income with the lower leagues.

The problem is the wealth is not sustainable. This has driven an approach of milking more and more money. What needs to happen is the opposite. The top leagues in the world need to work in unision to implement common ground rules to reign it all back in.

8 Likes

Some LFC fans really not happy about this. Got those banners made quickly.

9 Likes

I hope so​:pray::pleading_face:

1 Like

My thoughts exactly, until then I have no opinion

Tbh I already find it a bit strange to expect the players etc to be involved in such a decision. Ultimately, they are only employees and will be informed afterwards. Everything else is wishful thinking because, let’s face it, it’s a business decision and happens everywhere.

I don’t think anyone of the team will comment publicly either. They will take care of it internally.

2 Likes

If it is true that Mourinho was sacked after getting into an argument about the ESL this morning then it would hint that very few outside of the owners and board members knew for certain anything was happening (I’m sure they will have heard whispers).

Honestly wouldn’t be shocked to hear Klopp say he is going to resign at the end of the season and from a personal perspective I wouldn’t blame him either.

6 Likes

They’re not just employees, though. Most players will be unionised through the PFA. They’re extremely well paid workers, but they’re workers nonetheless. There’s no reason they can’t collectively come together and express their disapproval about this/refuse to play if it comes to it. It’s like any other industry where employees dispute a decision by an employer.

He’d be fully and 100% justified. I hope it doesn’t come to that, though, and he fights for the interests of the players and fans. He seems a good egg with his heart in the right place.

so we are going to form a new Liverpool Football Club and maybe as one last favour to us, FSG will free transfer Origi and Matip to us?