New European Super League

Good point about being angry. When I ask myself why I’m not, I think that it is because if there is going to be an ESL, then I want Liverpool to be a part of it. I want us to beat the best, and this new competition is where the best will be. I also just can’t get behind the rallying call to maintain the status quo. If we are going to seriously campaign for a Bundesliga, fan ownership style system over here, then yea, I’ll get angry for that. But not just to keep things as they are.

4 Likes

You have to think that the only reason that the others were so desperate to get City involved is that they all knew they’d need their fucking lawyers. No wonder they waited until City confirmed they were on board before going public with this.

6 Likes

Il Fatto Quotidiano

says that “the Super League is the antithesis of football: they want to kill the passion for the game in the name of profit… and to turn fans into mere consumers”. Like several other outlets, the paper says that the ESL project is an attempt to reshape European football into an NBA-like tournament “in which every match is an event, and the sport is the means rather than the end: a huge match every night, players who are paid tens of millions per season, extortionate tickets and audiences of billions of people. It’s the furthest thing from the European idea of football – and of sport.”

The article adds: “Football bosses are ready to sacrifice the spirit of the game, and fairy tales like Leicester’s or Atalanta’s, and the principle according to which David can beat Goliath at least once which, incidentally, is what makes football the greatest sport in the world.”

92% against on the latest BBC poll

2 Likes

All about the power play.

When the money started to roll in big time in Indian cricket, ZEE media group shoved a load of money to create a private breakaway ICL for the new format of the game.

In response, the BCCI (think of them as the FA) and ICC (think of them as FIFA/UEFA) gave out life time bans to cricketers joining the new venture, and national cricket boards threatened them with losing their registration for international cricket.

BCCI then created the IPL in response. raised the prize money, and gave amnesty if the players returned.

So back to football, it seems like a similar play is happening. Will the greed of the new ESL win or will the existing set up (in the spirit of Saint Sepp Blatter and Father João Havelange) make huge changes?

Time goes on and things naturally change and evolve. But this is akin to a blood thirsty revolution.

To those saying UEFA are corrupt and deserve it, well yes they are corrupt as hell. But that does not mean to rip out the fabric of what make the game so great.

6 Likes

BREAKING :red_circle: UEFA reportedly sent e-mails to the clubs involved in the Super League, threatening to withdraw all their Champions League titles…Arsenal and Tottenham responded by saying that they have received nothing thus far.

9 Likes

Field of Dreams 30 day movie challenge GIF

1 Like

I am not convinced that this will happen in the end. I believe it when I see it.

2 Likes

He realises that the World Cup’s are via FIFA right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really, they should bring in that ban future-actively. It’d be great if all our players were banned from Euros and World Cups with immediate effect. We might even have a fit squad to choose from next season.

1 Like

The clubs should announce a World Club Cup or World Series just to rile-up FIFA more.

2 Likes

To be frank, I’d rather Liverpool stay true to their values, culture, history and ethos than participate in this parasitic competition just because it’s the “elite”. I’d rather we retain our integrity. It’s important for the sport as a whole - more important than some phoney competition.

6 Likes

Personally don’t care about the greed aspect, it’s football and the whole business is about greed.

It’s the tedium factor for me, I think football will be worse for it.

6 Likes

Love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would you be happy with players in the same bracket as Konchesky and Baros???

1 Like

I remember in the 80s, when Liverpool and other of the big clubs planned to breakaway with ITV and create a new league. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Spurs’ Alan Sugar supplying satellite dishes, and because of that, got Murdoch’s Sky involved and the voting going in favour of the Sky model?

At least the integrity of the pyramid system was kept, even though money became the main factor of success. This ESL concept is the Americanising franchise system.

So the truth is, we’ve always been involved with these discussions.

2 Likes

I’d imagine it’s already in the works.

They clearly forgot Man City.

Easy enough to do, I suppose.

2 Likes

If that’s all you’re going to take out of this mess, then go ahead.

This is about football as a whole and no, I don’t want Liverpool to be king of the ashes for the sake of a few star signings.

2 Likes

I agree with the sentiment. But I won’t in 3 years time when United are signing a £200m striker and we’re offering Stoke £2.3m for Barry Horn’s son. Get on the last bus or get left behind. You might not want to go where the bus is going but do you want to stay in the shit end of town at night?

3 Likes

Is that what you understood??? :man_shrugging:

1 Like