New European Super League

Right now, i hope they do because these 6 clubs have stabbed their supporters in the back. They disrespected their history and stained the beautiful game.

How have we been stabbed in the back???

This stupid league. This goes against the principles of our club.

1 Like

That’s not an answer. How is is stabbing us in the back?

Surely stabbing the fans in the back would be not joining and the club going bust in a year or two due to COVID and a massive drop in revenue.

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel.

I suppose that part of this is coming from the American owners as it is something that they have seen first hand in the NBA in the last 5-6 years. The league has changed the rules to cater to the young casual bandwagon fan with no particular affiliation to a team and in the process alienated a large portion of the older fans. The younger generation wants to see superstar players play in superstar teams going against other superstar teams. And that’s exactly what’s happening as they are the ones who mostly watch the games, tweet and buy merchandise.

1 Like
1 Like

we are the supporters that will stand and take the flack for decisions out of our hands and ones that we have not been asked for our opinion. They will be stabbing us in the back because we believe in the current football pyramid and the sporting premise… we belive in YNWA and ‘this means more’ … they are making us look like complete mugs.

We still need to await the further detail of what is actually being intended here. I’m not going to get particularly upset or enthusiastic about something which remains relatively nebulous at this stage.

I have to say that I liked the proposals around Project Big Picture which did seem to genuinely seek to transform the domestic game for the better. That was similarly smacked down in a rather reactionary and ill-considered fashion so part of me does wonder whether those clubs simply thought “fuck it…how about you picture this?”.

True, even with Project Big Picture the big clubs were still pushing for European reforms but had last year’s proposals been welcomed there’s a chance their European model might not have been quite so exclusionary as it appears to be.

6 Likes

First paragraph:
ECHO sports editor Dave Prentice wants Liverpool owner John Henry and FSG to explain to fans why they plan on taking the club into a European Super League

Because they’d be insane not to?

3 Likes

I don’t see how these things are incompatible with being in a different money driven tournament to the one we’re currently in?

Don’t forget the Premier League was going to destroy football as did the creation of the Champions’ League.

2 Likes

You’ve probably already answered this but wouldn’t FIFA saying that you can represent your national team if you play for x club be a restraint of trade?

I can’t see how FIFA could legally prevent players being employed by certain clubs.

2 Likes

The big boys want a bigger slice of the pie, simple really. Seems a long way down the road to be a bluff though, that’s what I don’t understand.

1 Like

Well, good job we got the Premier League out of the way. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

A planet cup made up of players playing for the countries in which they play could be interesting and certainly make for “lively” transfer windows.

Sure if they do that then their competition is already over for the season.

And that’s their job.

6 Likes

Intriguing thing is I don’t think Italy will miss their three, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a new Milan side, as I said the PL will miss us and Man Utd it could happily exist without the other four, it did fine before Roman arrived and it has done fine without City for years. Arsenal perhaps but I really don’t see their pull.

But that’s the crux really none of these other four are big, someone asked what benefits PSG brought but same goes for Chelsea and Man City.

Spain is like the EPL and the marketing for this super league reminds me of the crap La Liga TV pumps out in the advert breaks.

However I actually don’t think the EPL know what to do, this isn’t just about the fact it replaces a Europe competition it effectively locks in the top 6 if they spend, no ones breaking into that if teams are spending 500-600m and others 40m

It wouldn’t take long to replace Chelsea, Spurs and Man City in the PL to be honest, we saw Newcastle could have become that last year. I can see the MKD situation play out here over time.

1 Like

Yes. Imagine FIFA’s global sponsors would sue them as well if they did.

2 Likes

It seems, there are updates every 5 minutes with UEFA sending out statements.

After the match tonight, i am wondering what Jurgen’s reaction will be when he is asked about the ESL. I am really dreading his reaction.

It is not Jurgen’s job answer these questions. If FSG had any guts, they should come out infront of the tv cameras and tell the fans why they signed up for this stupid super league.

1 Like