New European Super League

Christ on a bike…

Even Raiola is speaking out against it.

Is this the worst received idea in the history of ideas??

4 Likes

Yeh, for me it’s clear that the main instigators are:

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Juventus
United
Tottenham
AC Milan
Inter
Arsenal
Atletico
Liverpool
Chelsea
City

In that order, descending by the state of their finances.

Liverpool are almost certainly beguiled by the prospect of control over their own broadcasting potential (something the owners have hankered after for years), as well as the more American model of a closed league format. Chelsea and City are there purely to ensure that they continue to “belong” to an elite they’ve only just joined.

Really hope we can our participation as soon as possible.

4 Likes

No one even questions the notion of a football pyramid. It’s more like a pyramid scheme.

There is a mistaken belief that teams have a chance of competing. But money keeps teams in their place. It’s a false hope.

There is an imbalance in every major league in Europe. It’s so heavily weighted that nothing will ever really change its cemented. We have a running joke where Everton will finish.

There is a glass ceiling for many clubs, and if they do well the big boys can just pick them apart in the summer. I am glad to he ESL has been proposed, not because I agree with it. But it highlights how major change is required.

4 Likes

I think if the players are against it will die of death, it’s the difference between Packer/IPL and this in many ways, many players earn enough anyhow and they know for a fact that not all of them will be wanted for this, and that includes mates from other clubs and team mates.

I think that’s what will ultimately kill it. I think we see them as selfish individuals but I think many have shown that they are people in the pandemic, some have been idiots but Henderson leading the captains spring to mind, Bamford and Milner last night as well.

Change is needed but this is just more of the same just more exclusive

1 Like

Via https://mobile.twitter.com/Miroandrej

Of course he was furious because it impacted a very serious game and he was left in effect carrying the can for a subject he is not the expert on…

As for the owners avoiding the cameras, you do not know that for a fact. And Klopp himself said they would speak at the appropriate time.

These issues are very complicated and a lot of issues are yet to be sorted out…

Its not simply a matter of running to the press or opening your mouth like Neville and Carragher…

1 Like

He’s done well to speak to them all in 36 hours :rofl:

I am doing my best to look at the pros and cons of the new super league.

Pros - guaranteed place at the high table of European football for founding members.
- a greater slice of the financial pie
- better quality matches (supposedly)
- I’m all right Jack, keep your hands off my stash (if that’s what floats your boat)

Cons - it’s an exclusive club for so called big clubs (Spurs, Arsenal?) that would limit the ambitions of emerging
teams (remember we were an emerging team once)
- lack of relegation for founding members could lead to complacency
- it shafts the rest of the football community
- vast majority of fans don’t like the idea
- no more giant killing upsets
- no more trips to play obscure but interesting European clubs
- there is a risk that the big clubs field weakened premiership teams
- remaining premiership teams have little to aim for - premiership becomes irrelevant
- playing the top sides all the time will soon lead to familiarity
- fans are likely to have to stump up more of their hard earned cash
- the football bubble will keep on inflating
- without the Germans and French it won’t be a true reflection of top European talent

Personally I think it’s a terrible idea that will not benefit football or the fans in the future.

3 Likes

Why would Bayern have such debts, when your entire league exists to provide you top class talent…

• Lewandoski
  • Goretzka
  • Hummels
  • Goetze
  • Rudy
  • Nubel

all for $0

“For years, top clubs threatened with the super league, now they are serious. Uefa and Fifa want to punish that, but lawyers say: They have no right to do so.”

https://www.zeit.de/sport/2021-04/super-league-uefa-fifa-team-ausschluss-fussball-europa

Interesting German article (Die Zeit) today. In short, if it went to court, Uefa would most likely lose.

Are Uefa, Fifa and the national leagues allowed to ban players and clubs from their competitions because they are also participating in another competition? “No,” say sports lawyers. The Munich antitrust lawyer Mark E. Orth says: “In sport, competition is the structuring principle. That must also apply to sports organization,” he says. A lack of competition leads to inefficiency, prevents quality and it is also impermissible for a monopoly like Uefa to exclude any form of competition. Therefore, Uefa should not prevent the emergence of other competitions outside of Uefa. The Düsseldorf sports lawyer Paul Lambertz says: “In view of the legal situation, trying to lock the players out is an empty threat from UEFA. If the twelve clubs want to make the Super League, they do it.”

1 Like

A statement on the official wouldn’t be too hard, two to three lines… get your PA to write it.

He left our manager to carry the can with the players, that’s unforgivable

2 Likes

Is there an example of a hugely monied sport / league that is run fairly / sensibly?

Problem I have is this league solves nothing of the problems with UEFA or FIFA and creates additional issues.

Just makes Perez the new boss in town and he comes across as a gobby self interested Cnut. If something in the new league doesn’t help Perez then it won’t happen.

You might as well say the Real Madrid Super League, it’s going be as bent as the current structures. If Madrid fans start throwing Bananas or making racist chants is Perez going punish his own club?

1 Like

The long game of FSG has always been around TV rights. I’m sure that the attraction of this project to FSG has always been around that.

One of the attractions of the club when FSG bought it was that FFP was going to regulate the insanity of football and give LFC with its huge fanbase a natural competitive advantage.

That hasn’t quite happened, and so they inevitably want to find other ways to control competition and leverage support. You can bet that if the ESL gets going it will be followed by salary caps and stronger FFP.

2 Likes

Hahaha I am sure it’s in his small circle of friends and not every Madrid fan

2 Likes

Exactly.

The negative points far out weigh the positives.

The only positives if you want to call them that is that we will be in the elite competition (we are already) we will get loadsa cash (which will go on players wages and even more ludicrous transfer fees).

:rage:
I remember the furlough fiasco when a similar thing happened. Big clubs were all for it, first club leaked to be considering it was us, we got pelters, every other big club then distanced themselves from the whole thing, leaving us looking like opportunistic dicks.

Pull out now Liverpool, please.

3 Likes

Also this 15 teams plus 5 qualifying through merit…

What fucking clubs / leagues are going to allow these 5

2 Likes