NON Breaking News Stories

The National Weather Service (NWS) said bone-chilling temperatures of -50F (-45C) and -70F were possible by the end of this week in some parts of the country.

The above was taken from a BBC article detailing the massive storm that is barreling down on Canada and the US. It goes without saying I hope there are no fatalities and people are able to hunker down and see it out. But, why oh why is the C in parenthesis??? We seem to be going backwards. Even the Americans have C and our weather has been in C for 40 odd years!

2 Likes

I think that is simply a matter of the original source being the US’ NWS, and using F.

Storm is upon us now, and it is a really weird wind direction, coming from almost due south

we’ve got a wicked one coming our way tomorrow. freezing rain and snow. think we’ve resigned ourselves to cancelled flights tomorrow and see when we can actualy make the trip at this point

Stay safe!

2 Likes

Yeah, I think the airlines are going to struggle to get the people in the airport right now out over the next 48 hours.

We are going to see a bizarre 36 hour sequence - 15 centimeters of snow expected overnight, amidst extremely high winds (fears that the electrical distribution system will suffer damage), then the daytime high tomorrow will be all the way up to 3 C with rain, then it will whip down to -10C in the evening and everything will freeze.

So the current plan is to go absolutely nowhere.

4 Likes

Feckin’ heartwarming. And who are these women who always seem to marry killers while they (the killers) are in prison? Weird.

1 Like

Was about to paste that story but he really hasn’t repented for his killings has he.

Should we invade?

Sad, but the reality remains the same. The U.S. gave Afghans the ability to fight the Taliban and the vast majority chose not to.

What would be the point…the minute the troops leave it’ll be back to square one. Same happened with the Soviets

Maybe a slight over simplification

1 Like

Heartbroken for the fat cunt

1 Like

That’s truly amazing. I’ve run the marathon. Took me several months to build up to it. Then about a week to recover enough to run again at all. Can’t imagine running one every day. Or some of these people who do 100-mile ultramarathons. This guy is a beast. Check out the photo. He’s only 53, but… Universe bless him.

2 Likes

I can imagine doing an ultramarathon, although that possibility recedes near the end of any particular serious long-distance run. I used to have a colleague who did them, and his basic point was that no one can actually run 100 miles on the basis of their conditioning - that is the reason why the sport is dominated by guys in their 40s who are otherwise past their prime, they have the sheer bloodymindedness to finish. Much like any other serious distance challenge, you drag your ass the last X miles, and finish.

Which is what really makes this staggering. Maybe two days in a row, with the second on sheer force of will. But the next day?

1 Like

Not me. Physically beyond most humans, I think. The men’s 100 mile record is 10:51:39. That’s around 6:52/mile pace for 100 miles. That’s insane.

I attempted a 69 mile ‘Ultra’ along Hadrians wall (not on it obviously) about 5 years ago.
Bailed out at the 37 mile point with hamstring issues.
I’d been shuttled to the finish in Newcastle in time to see the first runner finish in under 12 hours.
Mental.

4 Likes

I have a good imagination…it would be about 80 miles more of the last 6 miles. Not for me.

Slashed two cops about the head and doesn’t get gunned down

No idea why

I am sure it will be skinned into something even more negative like ….

Police don’t shoot white hihadist, was race a factor?