Other so-called “sports”

Baron de Coubertin would be turning in his grave.

Discuss.

3 Likes

Turning like a stabbed windmill transitioning into a backspin?

1 Like

Dont see what the problem is,
ancient Greeks were well known for their body popping skills!

2 Likes

I agree, must be getting to old for this young people’s shit

3 Likes

Always wondered why Handball (Olympic Handball) seems to be ‚irrelevant’ in Britain.

Thinks it’s huge in big parts of Europe. In Germany it always has been one of the 3 or 4 favorite sports.

Fast, physical and intense game.

6 Likes

Cricket doesn’t get included in the olympics and these does. The ICC really need to get their priorities right, even if it means growing a pair and standing up to BCCI

I presume you mean T20? I wouldn’t have test cricket anywhere near the Olympics. But it’s a scandal, frankly, that squash still isn’t an Olympic sport.

6 Likes

I would add darts and snooker :wink:

2 Likes

I think Petanque should have priority over cricket for inclusion in the olym^pics. Much more etertainig game!

You also unable to run more than ten metres without getting out of breath, huh?! Yes, I want all sports added where physical fitness isn’t a requirement, just so I can claim to still be able to play an Olympic sport :joy:

I just want to be able to say I have the body of an Olympic athlete :rofl:

2 Likes

Who plays or played this?

5 Likes

According to Nike and Bill Bowerman, you are.

That looks like a really super game, better than subbuteo for kids and grown ups (like me). Why haven’t I come across it before?

1 Like

It looks like finger billiards.

Its a game called Carrom and we have been playing it in during my childhood times in the 80s. In recent years, I have not seen it so common in Singapore but it has never occurred to me that it is not a global thing, I thought everyone plays it!

3 Likes

Played this a fair bit growing up. Really enjoyable, always ended up in a fight with my brother through!

3 Likes

It’s played a lot in India. Most of my family that moved West (Indian ex-pats I like to call them), have one. I’m pretty sure the one we had growing up is in my parents loft somewhere. Not played it in a long long time.

4 Likes

pretty popular in India even now. Most houses do have one.

2 Likes

Carrom… wow!!! A blast from the past for me. From late 90s until 2003, I used to make money as a kid by playing ‘bet’ matches. Used to be around 20 INR per match, a real big amount for a school going kid like me.

In 2003 I started studying my engineering degree and joined the big league of carrom players. Within a dozen matches I lost more than what I had won in all the years before. Believe me, people here in India take this game very seriously.

Haven’t played the game for close to a decade but planning to start playing soon. Meanwhile I have closely followed this guy’s videos:

1 Like