Ozan Kabak (CB), Schalke

According to RMC Sport , via This Is Anfield’s Chris Williams on Twitter, the Merseysiders are preparing an offer for Kabak, with a view to signing him in January.

It’s claimed that Schalke would accept an offer of around €30million-€40million, with German journalist Manuel Veth also stating that he expects Liverpool to bid for the 20-year-old.

2 Likes

Liverpool have opened talks with Schalke about a £20m new year move for Turkey defender Ozan Kabak, 20, following the long-term injury to Netherlands defender Virgil van Dijk. (Sunday Mirror)

1 Like

This guy is obviously better than Virgil; the big Dutchman only conceded seven against Villa, whereas Kabak conceded eight against Bayern earlier this season.

Wait; that is how it works, isn’t it?

10 Likes

Anyone German based know if sport 1 are reliable or not? That’s what I’m seeing claimed on Twitter.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t rate Ozan as €35 million.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen him play to be honest. We need a centre half in January though for obvious reasons though.

2 Likes

I definitely kabak the club if they sign this guy,they’re pretty good at buying.

7 Likes

I don’t know him. But I have no reason to think that he can’t be a good player for us as our scouts and coaches have excellent track records for identifying players that suit our team.

1 Like

Indeed. We wont panic buy and I’d bet we were scouting a centre half before VVD’s injury anyway. Matip being made of tissue paper only makes the need all the greater.

3 Likes

the spitting incident surely might dissuade Klopp and the coaching team? Or maybe not?

1 Like

I think we will sign a CB in January. But I suspect this Ozan rumours are, once again, a distraction.

1 Like

You don’t enter talks with a club for a player for distraction purposes. I mean, sure some clubs have maybe done that a very few times in the past, but it is incredibly disrespectful and would quickly give you a horrible reputation when dealing with other clubs.

1 Like

Assume it would be considered. Klopp will ensure his aggression is channeled in the correct way though if he comes.

I read he has a 40m euro release clause that becomes active next summer, so not sure how a bid of £20-20m would cut it in January.

1 Like

First of all, there’s no reliable sources stating that we are in talk with Schalke. It’s not only just rumors, but rumors from sources not deemed close to us. Yes, we aren’t killing the rumors, yet.

Secondly, talks have to be meaningful. If Schalke adamant about their valuation of Ozan, there might not be an end products to all the supposed talks. We aren’t confirming the talks either.

What I mean is, we are definitely pursuing an alternative target which the media hasn’t got any wind of, and that’s by design. We may end up with signing Ozan but only if it’s the best of our alternatives.

I agree that we will only sign him if he is the best alternative, and maybe you are right that we are also in talks concerning someone else. I can’t know. But I also know that we won’t be in talks concerning this player without having following him for many months and probably years, though this is also the case if we are in talks with other players.

2 Likes

I’m saying this because we have been in talks about Jamal Lewis before signing Tsimikas. Then Jota was signed without any whiff of rumors. VVD is the only player we signed after a prolonged courtship.

1 Like

Yeah, not saying you are wrong about us being in contact with several players. It is even quite likely.
But I do think it is also likely that we are indeed considering this player due to the reports. We’ll see.

1 Like

A 20 year old centerback coming into this situation, what a waste of time even thinking this is a solution. A better solution would be, do nothing. If anything, this would be someone for future, not now. This is your typical “we need to add content for our website/newspaper/twitter account”.

3 Likes

I don’t think age will come into it, possibly not even experience. The only time age would come into it is whether or not an older player is worth bringing in depending on the price. Skills and abilities and suitability will always be the things that matter the most to our recruitment team.

I’d have to totally disagree with that mate,when we buy players under 21 they are ones for the future and are going straight into the U18’s,U23’s or out on loan,they never come in as starters or bench warmers,simply because they lack experience,you look at all the players we buy for the first team and they are all 23 and over,thats because Klopp and Edwards/Recruitment team specifically scout them for a few years and see how they play in a first team environment,gain experience at the other clubs expense before they make the step up to us.Which is why i feel this kid is 3 years away from getting near us cos he’s in no way showing world class abilities to jump the queue or make us change our scouting system,like he’s some kind of young defensive Messi/CR7,cos he simply isn’t,he’s just cheap.

4 Likes