Philippe Coutinho

I never saw that. Can you elaborate more please?

Whatā€™s interesting is that Coutinho imo is exactly the kind of player we needā€¦

Great tricky passer to send in players like Mane and Salah and especially Jota who has great movement.

And his long range shots from outside the box has to be respected. And Will be effective against the park buses. Allowing more room for our forwards to operate inside it.

But there is maybe less than 5% chance that it would happenā€¦ And thatā€™s with Coutinho meeting with Klopp and apologizing and begging him to take him back.

Let his foul-mouthed family members *kowtow repeatedly, and then we might consider.

• * kneel and touch the ground with the forehead in worship or submission as part of old Chinese custom.*
2 Likes

People keep saying Coutinho is exactly the player we need, but we sold him, moved away from the style of play that he prompted, and became the best team in the world.

When Klopp took over, we very much played 4-2-3-1. Since the first game at White Hart Line, Coutinho was shifted to the left of the 3, left inside channel as Klopp calls it. Lallana started behind Origi. Coutinho Iā€™m pretty sure never played central of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 under Klopp. Next season, we flipped to 4-3-3 and he played the majority of games on the left in a front 3. Third and last half of the 17/18 season he played half of games left of the front 3 and half (mostly smaller games) as the left sided 8 of the midfield 3.

Klopp gave an interview in his first season talking about Coutinho that the #10 is arguably the most demanding in his opinion for his style of play. Hence why Firmino pretty much played the role in last years.

1 Like

Cheers

I do remember Coutinho having a couple of games at the point in a diamond for us and doing very well. Not long before those ā€œback problemsā€ occurred if memory serves me right.

I wish there was more detail on why Klopp demands a lot from that position. Pressing maybe?

That was more under Rodgers perhaps, in that 13/14 season. He was actually best as the LCM in a diamond midfield 4. I remember we played the diamond once under Klopp at the Olympic Stadium in 16/17. But then he flipped to Coutinho as the LCM and Lallana at #10 (again, raising the importance of certain off the ball qualities for that role in Kloppā€™s team).

I was definitely under Klopp but only happened once or twice from memory. Both were MotM performances as well.

Not to worry though, I dont see this move happening to be honest.

2 Likes

Coutinho attributes is what is welcomed. Not necessarily Coutinho himself.
Those attributes whether off the bench provide some flexibility for when the heavy metal pressing playmaking doesnā€™t work. Or donā€™t have the personnel available to make it workā€¦

Whether we sold him or not. We were on that trajectory to being the best and winning trophies.

Donā€™t know about that. I just remember everyone just passing him the ball in the hope he could make something happen. When he left other players stepped up. I donā€™t think weā€™d have gone on the win the big cups with him in the side.

You are probably right if Coutinho was made the focal pointā€¦ But the way Bayern used him off the bench was genius. Came on as a change of pace/ tactics. That added flexibility and was effective. Especially in their CL run.

Time will tell whether our reliance in our press as a playmaker will bring us back to the top. And winning trophies again. When everyone is fit againā€¦ As a supporter I hope it does

1 Like

Itā€™s always a mixture. Our principles have remained the same, but we evolved as a team under Klopp and continue to do so. We can also add players who add a few different elements. But for Coutinho to start currently in this team, youā€™re looking at more or less Maneā€™s zone. And heā€™s a key player for us. Coutinho could potentially do a job as an offensive #8 of the two in some smaller games. But I highly doubt it would be our main XI.

I understand I posted in the Coutinho threadā€¦ My argument is not about bringing him back personally. Its about acquiring players with some of his attributes to go against the parked buses. And for a change of play.

We can use some more goals and playmaking from the midfield.

1 Like

Yeah, I know.

We already became a better side in possession in 18/19 and 19/20.

Tried also to get more technical elements from the likes of Keita, now Thiago and Jota.

Itā€™s ongoing all the time. We wonā€™t change our principles and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that, we donā€™t have to change our core. Itā€™s been damaged this season through different reasons.

This summer it will be a mixture of re-establishing those principles and get back to our high level next season.

Bayern thinking about bringing back Coutinho.

1 Like

:joy:

Brilliant. To play him where exactly?

1 Like

Well Barca along with Madrid have told everyone theyā€™ve got no money.

such a Bayern move.

hes still good enough to assist dominating that leagueā€¦and heā€™ll come at a hefty discount.

Heā€™s not removing (the eternal) Muller from that second striker position as things stand. They have burning question marks in defence (theyā€™re down to 2 senior CBā€™s for next season, one of which is that lump Sule) and central midfield. Really thin roster going into next season. So most probably going from a backup player at Barca to a backup player at Bayern, with a hope to become a starter in next years. Weā€™ll see if thatā€™s even worth it for Bayern. Weird and lazy if you ask me.

I would take Coutinho back to replace Shaqiri off the benchā€¦ For Ā£20-25m @ Ā£100k per week.

Final offer

2 Likes