PL Matchday #36: Aston Villa vs. Liverpool, May 10, 8 PM

Trust me, we are going to have a +21 in the remaining 3 games. If not, it means I am wrong.

My wife has pointed out that this match is on at the same time as the Eurovision Song Contest semi-final. I “think” I’ve won the argument to watch the match live and record Eurovision. I hope these discussions are not also going on in the Klopp household!

As long as it is mathematically impossible to win the PL we will have to stay trying.
No big changes, just freshen it up slightly.

We have to stay trying but I don’t see it happening. We needed to beat City at least once in league this season.
Everyone’s here telling me City have tricky games and have hit 9 in 2 games v Leeds and Newcastle.

I actually see us drawing this game as well. We looked leggy Sat and have Cup final Saturday so I think a lot of the big guns will be rested. I reckon we will see 5 or 6 changes.

3 Likes

That’s a thing?

2 Likes

Oh, that’s were the really good stuff is! They’ll weed out the really left-field stuff so you don’t get the Finish death-metal trolls or whatever in the main event (they slipped through once and won it).

1 Like

Are Australia still taking part?

Biggest pile of wank thing going is Eurovision. Put it in the bin.

1 Like

Yep, I think it was to confound the people that said “Israel isn’t in Europe”!

Eurovision is one of those weird anachronisms that is a complete parody of itself. Best viewed through a cocktail of bizarre alcoholic drinks.

1 Like

A game just three days later after the last one, in which some players showed signs of tiredness during the second half. Irrespectively of our chances of winning the PL trophy, changes are needed in order to get back to winning ways and give Abu Dhabi a run until the last day of the season.

Tsimikas in for Robbo. He performs every time he gets a chance to play. Gomez in for Trent, keep the lad fresh for Chelsea. VVD and Matip at CB, we need to be as solid as possible in the heart of defence.

Midfield three would be Fabinho, Keita and Jones for me. Rest Thiago and Hendo for Wembley.

The forward positions are a bit tricky. I’d put Bobby back in if he’s fit enough (him missing out during the last weeks was probably a big factor why we’ve gone a bit stale upfront lately), but is he fit enough? Diaz on the left, he’s on fire right now. But who plays on the right then? Salah looked miles off his game against Tottenham, not only in terms of taking his chances, but also in terms of linking up with his team-mates. It’s not the effort which is missing, it’s mental freshness imo, so does he need a rest? I’d be tempted to give Origi a start. He was very good the last times we saw him, but he can’t play on the right… Minamino is another option, I wonder why he didn’t get a sniff lately…

The right answer for this line-up might determine how the rest of the season pans out for us. It’s tricky, but I’m sure that Klopp will find the answers. Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

Agree about the back 4 but I would play Milner as the nr. 6 and give Elliott the start over Jones, upfront I would play Origi, Jota and Minamino.

1 Like

Are we conceding the league?
Seerious question.

We lost the League in February IMO but this is a team that must be strong enough to beat Villa. We are always raving about the depth of our squad, so why not use them and put some faith in them.

Baffled at some people’s negativity, we have two finals to play for a historic treble and an outside chance of winning the league. Some of you talk like we’ve had a poor season rather than literally being on the verge of the best season we’ve ever seen.

Cheer up, ffs.

8 Likes

Some fresh legs is all that’s needed. Gomez and Kostas in. Maybe Matip. Keita to start in midfield and a bit of rotation up top. We have the players in the squad and just need to use them tomorrow to get the win.

We looked jaded against the spuds but had we scored early when we had them under pressure then it’s a different game. They’re a decent side spurs.

Whether or not we want to continue the battle for the league title, whether or not Klopp wants to preserve the legs for the FA Cup, we have to rotate the squad just for the sake of this match alone. There are just too many tired legs and they can’t possibly go through another grind.

A backline of Gomez, Matip, Konate, and Tsimikas isn’t too far off from our best lineup, even at the best of the times. The issue here is that these players haven’t played together much. But they have been training together for about a year now and I think they will have the necessary understanding and communication.

Fabinho started the last match and Thiago isn’t someone who you should risk game in, game out. Henderson, who came on as a substitute in the last game, can play the deepest role and Naby has done well in recent games. The third spot has to go to a fringe player and Curtis seems to be the obvious choice.

Rest Diaz. Opposition players have started to foul him (and are getting away with that) now that they know they don’t have any answers for his speed and trickery. I would start Jota even though he is in the worst patch of his Liverpool career. I would start Salah too and the third spot has to go to another fringe player. If the real Origi turns up, he will trouble the opposition with his height, strength, pace, and legendary status. I wouldn’t mind Takumi either. Despite his limitations, he is a feisty fellow and can be useful in the press and trackback.

So only Alisson, Konate, Naby, and Salah from the last game will retain their places.

3 Likes

Hendo started and Naby was a sub against the spuds.

We do need to try and rotate a bit, but I can’t get my head around anyone thinking the League is done with only a 3 point gap. City have two tough away games to go to. Anything can happen in football, we have seen that many times over the years. All you need is for City to have a player sent off in one of these games and it could turn around again.

Win all our remaining games and then lets see what happens, we should sacrifice nothing.

5 Likes

We’re talking about the villa game here - realistically flogging the team again on Tuesday, then an FA Cup final vs against a rested Chelsea risks a lot. Much prefer to shuffle for this game and really be able to give a maximum effort Saturday as we realistically can only win the league if something v unlikely happens whereas both Wembley and Paris we are favourites if we aren’t flogged beforehand

1 Like

I don’t disagree with any of that and my post didn’t imply that I would.

I expect a rotated XI against Villa, still think we will beat them with it too.

Agreed. I suppose part of it is also expectation management, hopefully having the ‘its just out of reach’ moment now gives us more time to refocus (as necessary) for our finals. Realistically the Newcastle game, after CL mental cracking was our best bet for cheaty to beat themselves. It’s just a shame they were afforded an extra days rest rather than playing at 12:45 on Saturday as we had to when we went to sandcastle. Think the Spurs result also helped them mentally.

1 Like