Post match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 4/1/24 4.30pm)

Reality.
Might as well give the title to those cheating twats right now and save us all a heap of stress

**“I should have done better, I should have made a better decision there. It hurts for me, and it hurts for the rest of the team. It was a big turning point in the game.It’s my responsibility. I should just clear it, but I made the split-second wrong decision and unfortunately these things happen sometimes in football. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that it hurtsI’m not looking for excuses. At the highest level, it’s a split-second decision that you make. I chose to let the ball bounce and put my body in between. Alisson touched me a little and that’s why he couldn’t clear it."…VVD

3 Likes

Arsenal deserved to win and were clearly better on us on the day. Not important debating exactly how much better than us they were, but they were certainly good enough, and we weak enough in comparison, that even without a red card, 3-1 was a fine result. Not interested in piling on individual errors from usually good players. Overall, team was not good enough to win.

I am disappointed. But not the end of the world. It gives City an advantage if they take it and Arsenal now is right behind us, but still would be surprising if Arsenal ends the season in front of us.
Let us hope it was a blip, but complacency kills in top football. But I think we will see much better games from us to come and still think we will at least fight for the title at the end of the season, although we may or may not make it at the end.

3 Likes

It’s Dane.

He loves the role of master exaggerator, & that’s coming from me.

The league won’t be over even if we (knock wood) lose to the plastic cheating bastards.

1 Like

Look at it this way, if VVD deals with the high ball does that goal happen?

Also his wafting a leg at Tossard for the 3rd is becoming a habit that needs sorting out. Same last week against Norwich.

I’ve been one of the most positive types for years, was even voted on TIA.
But, the positivity has been knocked out of me.
We’ll get fucked over by refs/VAR between now and the end of the season, today was probably our only chance of setting a marker, and for reasons previously stated, we blew it.

1 Like

Annnnnnnnnd breathe, just breathe. Stick on some Kylie Minogue or some Taylor swift. Get 1 or 2 beers from the fridge. Maybe throw on some dancing on ice. You’ll find it works.

Tonight was poor, piss poor…however we’re still top, we’re still in a great position, we’ve got City to come at home which becomes even more of a must win now. Still in our hands with 15 to go…no one expected us to be here, we are so on merit.

Let’s be excited, we’re part of an intriguing title race (great for the neutrals, less so for the fans of the teams involved). This of all seasons isn’t the time to be throwing dummies out the pram and we go again.

2 Likes

We’re top of the league ffs

2 Likes

Arsenal deserved their win. They were better than us on the day.

Martinelli is rapid. In a long sprint in the first half he surged past Konate and I don’t recall anyone ever doing that to him. He got past Trent quite easily - defence not Trent’s strong suit, especially against such a good player.

The mix up between VVD and Ali was comedic. For two such experienced players it was a shocker. They are still vastly in credit as they have been rocks in this side, and will continue to be. It happens. I thought Martinelli pushed Virg into Alisson too, otherwise we would probably clear it.

Overall it was a flat game from us. The intensity just wasn’t there. We need to get that back quickly, and I think we will.

The Konate sending off was a tough one. Havertz turns into him point blank, he can’t get out the way, Havertz flops, Antony gives a second yellow.

Compare/contrast.

Gabriel grapples Nunez and throws him to the ground. Imagine the force to be able to do that. There’s a lot of open pitch beyond the defender so he cynically grapples our man down. Taylor did nothing. Darwin protested by gesticulating. He got a yellow.

Two incidents. Konate sent off. Gabriel much more of a foul, Darwin Nunez booked.

After it looked like we may have been turning a corner with referees once Tierney reffed us evenly last time, normal service resumed today and we got nothing from Taylor.

Still, that wasn’t the difference.

Arsenal were better on the day and we need to get back to the level we showed against Chelsea.

Overall it looks like a three way title fight, not a two way fight. Arsenal did their part to make sure of that.

Talk of it being all over is way wide of the mark. There is everything to play for and still loads of action to come.

Today was a blow, but we will come again.

YNWA

4 Likes

I’m well aware where we are.
And where we’ll end up

On those 3 times he didn’t.

There’ll be a lot of philosophers and philosophies around the loss in the media.
We just need to focus on doing what we need to do.

The biggest mistake any LFC fan will make is to get sucked into the media narrative.

We lost the balance we had all through the last 4 weeks. Some forced, some from ourselves.

But we’re also getting key players back. We just need to continue to be in the frame up until April when I think this will finally break open…

1 Like

It’s not the wafting he could have closed him down a lot quicker

It’s mad how a few almost perfect seasons with Klopp has warped fans views. It used to be normal to draw or lose the odd game. To not be 100% at times. To come up against a good team who were better on the day.

Now we have this dichotomy of “we’re gonna win everything” or “we’ve blown it” depending on result.

We’re top of the league and going well in 3 cups. Everything to play and hope for

11 Likes

Why the hell did the two most experienced players fuck up so badly in one of the most pivotal moments of the whole season. Just when we had the momentum on our side. Arsenal was pretty much just hoofing the ball at that point, and then one of the hoofs leads to that.

Arsenal won’t be in the title race. They really are not on the same level as we and city are, and the real title decider will be played between us and City. But the most annoying thing is that now we have to watch the media overhype them and pretend like they are anywhere close to the level us and city are.

2 Likes

Hey Nostradamus

It’s not a question of why is it? They’re human and mistakes on the pitch happen all the time, most of the time nothing comes from them…today it did. Arsenal had 1 of their own, remember? It happens. Mistakes tend to occur more in the big games as theirs so much at stake. You can ask how, it’s a mixture of poor communication and poor judgement. There was still more than enough time to find an equaliser…but yet we still didn’t find an attempt that worried Raya, that’s the real disappointment of the game.

As far as Arsenal not being in the title race goes, right now they are until they’re not.