Post match: Arsenal v Liverpool (FAC 7/1/24 4.30pm)

So the 2nd half means that the first half never happened and Arsenal didn’t have a few chances to score which they didn’t take advantage of? Right. Gotcha.

1 Like
3 Likes

Got me how? Of course Arsenal missed chances in the 1st half. Big fucking deal! We also missed chances in the 2nd half. What matters, are the chances that hit the back of the net.

Because the literal conversation that you’ve decided to wade in on is somebody trying to pretend that Arsenal only had one half decent chance in the first half.

I’m saying they had a few chances. That’s it. And you have agreed with me Thank you. I am not trying to prove anything further than that.

Wind your neck in. This is the post match thread, or am I mistaken? I wasn’t aware I was wading in on anything.

1 Like

I mean you’re arguing with something that i’m not even saying, so perhaps wind your own neck in??

Hi Everyone, Good morning from Downunder. Just woke up to the good news that we won away against the 3rd best team in the league.
Excellent result!
Come on here and people are arguing about whether Arse had chances in the first half. Blimey fellas, wouldn’t you rather just celebrate and enjoy the moment?

13 Likes

I would. But when people are gaslighting you about the factual events of the game, it’s kind of annoying.

1 Like

Let it go man. It’s not worth your time or nerves.
People are entitled to different opinions.
Enjoy the win. I can tell you it’s a great start to the week here :tada::man_dancing:t4::sun_with_face::beers:

5 Likes

But it’s fact, not opinion!!! :sob::rofl:

https://twitter.com/RamboFYI/status/1744096783016345766

8 Likes

Is there a better 2 footed player in Footy

2 Likes

I mean, as long as we’re using that as a comeback, this is exactly what you are doing to me.

Nope. Not all. What I started arguing in the game thread was against the notion that Arsenal can feel aggrieved at losing a game they had done more than enough to win. I think the quote in question was “Arsenal will be kicking themselves, how many clear changes to they need?” I disagreed with the sentiment, and then the debate, such that there was one, revolved around the number and quality of clear chances they had, and how that compared to what were creating for ourselves.

My take on the game is that Arsenal won a control of the game in the midfield which gave them good possession and territory. What they did with that though was not enough. To the degree I could agree with descriptions of them being wasteful, it would be with wasting the platform they won for themselves by not creating enough clear opportunities, rather than them missing gilt edged ones, because those just werent there. With the exception of the Odegaard shot off the bar at no other time did I feel like we got away with anything. In terms of narrative building for the game, that has to be balanced against us always looking dangerous enough to hurt them even without having earned much of a foothold in the game, something that I think the “Wasteful Arsenal” ignores.

So why is the narrative so focused on them missing chances? Because all season there has been a debate over whether Arsenal have a striker good enough to win them the league. It is a narrative that is then forced onto all of their games. Several of their recent games have done this when, like today, their issue was far a lack of cutting edge in carving out quality chances than spurning good ones. But that puts the focus on players like Saka, Martinelli and Odengaard rather than the conversation people want to have about Jesus and Nketiah.

1 Like

Think Virgil van Quansah has made it very difficult for any new CBs hoping to join us.

They have an absolute machine to beat out if the rotation. It’s just not happening.

17 Likes

So every sports writer in the world is wrong because you say so.

Very little point me trying to prove anything further I suppose.

1 Like

Rhys van Dijk was also an absolute machine until we found out he is slow as fuck :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think sports writers, especially those with a brief to get their report in after the game so quickly, are a really bad place to look to understand what happened in a game. As someone who has seen how that sausage is made, 90% of the pieces are written before a ball is kicked.

1 Like

13 Likes

Completely different level of athlete, and Quansah is certainly not slow. It was a (pleasant) surprise to me that Williams had a chance in the first team never mind had a key run playing next to Phillips!

Quansah is and always has been a top prospect. I’ve banged this drum for a long time now but he’s surprised even myself with how quickly he looks like he belongs in the first team.

8 Likes