Post match: Aston Villa v Liverpool (EPL 10/5/22 8pm)

Yes there was not even a VAR review disgusting that was offside defo

2 Likes

Mane is a ‘machine’ - Klopp

Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool

Liverpool

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp speaking to Sky Sports: "It was a massive result and a massive performance. After the games we have played and not a good start, we needed time to adapt, but made a very good response to going 1-0 down.

"We cannot do more than winning. "I am pretty sure that a lot of people again thought this could be a struggle for us and how the boys sorted that is absolutely outstanding. “Next we have the cup final on Saturday, and we will be ready.”

On an offside in the build-up to the opening goal: "If you think I only speak about these things when we lose, this is a problem which needs solving. It was an obvious offside situation but was just played on and we were under pressure at that moment. VAR today was not important (in the final outcome), but in general we could really think about how we could solve that.

On Fabinho: “He felt something, which is a big blow for us. Hopefully it is not that bad, but we don’t know.”

On Sadio Mane: “He’s a machine, I told him after the game. He is a massive player. His physicality is brutal. He is a mix of technique, desire and physicality when at the moment everyone has a few yards in the legs. You can see it with him to be honest. Top goal, he is just a fantastic world-class player.”

2 Likes

Yeah Stevie but no

Unless he means for the decisions against us. Villa learnt from Everton, it wasn’t as bad but they stole about ten yards on most free kicks, booted the ball away and the classic was one of their players went down clutching his face, Moss played on so he got right back up as we nearly had a chance.

3 Likes

The linesman screwed up with offside - should’ve flagged once they didn’t score from their ‘1st phase of play’.

Fabinho a real blow - I’d have thought any kind of hamstring strain would end his domestic season. Hopefully he makes CL final.

Seems that both ourselves and Chelsea will have played 63 games come season end, so in theory both teams will have similar issues with freshness come Saturday. Hopefully Tuchel feels he can’t risk resting too many players tomorrow night

2 Likes

These things could be cramp though. A slight pull you can probably play in 5-7 days it’s extreme pull that’s a major issue. Irony is the decision probably helped us as he looked well off.

2 Likes

Are we traveling back to Liverpool tonight? Only to travel to London a few days later?

Probably, it’s only 2 hours on the train.

4 Likes

Matip my MOTM. Savage in both halves of the pitch.

Luis, Sadio, and Virg outstanding.

Odd to me Villa not a better record to show for all the talent they have over there. Some real quality and athleticism. Also did not at all understand where the faux hard boy act was coming from.

Jon Moss lost control of long stretches of the match.

Fab injury a big worry for me. But perhaps I overrate him.

4 Likes

Another spectacularly bad take by Jonathan Liew.

Deep into injury time Naby KeĂŻta started rolling around on the turf in apparent agony. Was it a cruciate? A broken leg? A debilitating muscle tear that would put him out for the season? Happily, as a victorious KeĂŻta disappeared into the embrace of his teammates just a few seconds later, we have to conclude that he may just survive the night. Curiously, given his famously forthright views on teams adopting cynical tactics in an attempt to win games, JĂŒrgen Klopp had very little to say about any of this afterwards. But then, perhaps it was understandable that aesthetics would be the last thing on his mind at Villa Park.

He clearly got kneed in the bollocks.

1 Like

Considering one of their players clutched his face like someone had thrown a right hook only to get up seconds later when Moss had ignored it and Liverpool were about 5 yards away from the penalty area of both teams are at it both teams are but that to me was deliberate cheating

2 Likes

Liew is dreadful

4 Likes

Been a very long season and the lads are understandably running on memory a bit.
But thought we did alright,Stevie was never going to give us 3 points so we had to earn it.
Hope Fab is OK,don’t need anyone out with injury at this point.
Mane MOTM for me,was a bit quiet the other day but came back well today.

1 Like

Just realised that after Sadio scored the winning goal, the Boss celebrated with smaller motion of fist pumps. He also reined in Pep’s celebration and stopped him from going into the opponents’ coaching area. The benches and coaching areas are right next to each other with no buffer zone.

3 Likes

If MShitty ever lose a match, we definitely have more than a chance to pip them but honestly MShitty has shown before mentally in the league, they can go on unbeaten runs to just cross the line. I don’t think anyone will not feel disappointed thst we do not win the league but we still have one of the best seasons ever

4 Likes

As I said we’ve posed them the question, it’s all we could really do, we weren’t going to batter Villa I hoped we might nab a third but 2-1 is fine.

We will know what is required come next Tuesday and they can’t win the title before then anyhow.

2 Likes

Yea with Klopp, the team will definitely be made to look back at what they can improve for the next season. But while winning titles define success but this team makes us believe season in season out and that is all I really need as a fan.

4 Likes

Guarantee he had that line about “famously forthright views on 
 cynical tactics” written before the game and was going to crowbar it in wherever he could.

3 Likes

It was a great pass from Jota that sent Diaz on his way before he delivered for Sadio’s goal

4 Likes

Really don’t think Liew gets football. Some of the stuff he writes is completely nonsensical and much of the rest is bandwagonny.

3 Likes

Can we have a Pre-match thread which is closed at kickoff and a post-match thread for discussion of the game after. Discussions in game probably to happen in a chat window

2 Likes