Post match: Brentford v Liverpool (EPL 2/1/23 5.30pm)

We see it the other way all the time. Defenders are allowed the throw themselves on the floor in front of Mo Salah and there are always given as fouls. Always.

3 Likes

Nunez for oneā€¦ The one we just got linked with!

If that had been disallowed for us I bet my barely functioning liver that everyone on this forum would be up in arms.

Itā€™s thankfully just about a contact sport still. He barely touched Konate and the contact wasnā€™t a foul.

2 Likes

Okay. But Iā€™m being objective here: I donā€™t think it was a foul, which seems to be the consensus most places Iā€™ve seen.

1 Like

Youā€™re right. It is :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It isnā€™t just about legs, look at Naby when he came on, he ran with the ball committed players and caused them problems, Enzo or Jude are of the same ilk, but is someone like Caicedo. Look at City, De Buyne is their catalyst for something good as he runs at players and commits them before playing a quality ball.

Whoever we buy needs to be pacy, have an eye for a pass and be comfortable in dribbling

Settle down with the unnecessary aggression.

None of those off-field changes (only two of which have actually taken place already) would impact how the current season is going.

1 Like

Barged into! Jesus wept. I understand emotions are high and Iā€™ll say that in real time I thought it was a foul. But Christ on a bike, it wasnā€™t a foul. He wasnā€™t barged.

3 Likes

The reason why Iā€™m livid is because having watched opposition defenders crumple to the floor as soon as they feel Moā€™s breath on the necks for for five years now, Iā€™m just used to that being given as a foul.

6 Likes

You wonder what we did in the winter camp! We seemed to have made the midfield more compact after the shit show at Leeds, yet since the break weā€™ve got Thigo and Elliot playing as wide forwards and Fabinho covering the whole pitchā€¦

Only changed when Keita came on and played like a midfielderā€¦ In the center of the pitch. Imagine thatā€¦

2 Likes

So you think that we would have been ok had Klopp agreed with this example? I personally donā€™t. I think it would have been a panic buy that would have affected the transfer(s) Klopp has in mind, and for which he has to wait as I understandā€¦

Probably the refsā€™ fault.

Donā€™t understand this.

Likewise with the mocking post from yourself no?

That level of change off the field where we have been rock solid for 10 years is a huge talking point, and raises questions what is going on structural on and off the pitch and how much has it impacted recruitmentā€¦

Just a quick word in praise of the manager,. Klopp had a good halftime and finally took the brave decision to sub Van Dijk for the first time. He will have thought about a number of times recently. I hope he takes it as a humbling experience and pulls his socks up in training over the next four days

1 Like

To me, itā€™s a normal part of a young player adapting. You are goning to have some of these games. With the way our season has panned out, makes sense to perservere. Harvey will come out stronger next season.

One bad season after many years is normal. Teams like Real Madrid would react and sack the manager and spend $200m on a star player.

After the 1981 European Cup win, the season after we imploded by Christmas. Paisley then made the changes, and the rest is history.

No doubt today, many would be turning to hyperbole and they wouldā€™ve kicked Paisley out by the start of the new year that season. Iā€™d bet theyā€™d be launching into how the youngsters Ian Rush, Ronnie Whelan, Steve Nicol and Craig Johnson were a waste of space.

Yes we need new bodies in midfield. But Klopp has earned the right to have a dip.

6 Likes

Often people complain about defending with players getting in behind when its actually our offside trap working properly. Today wasnt that. We defended those situations pathetically in situations that just happened to have a guy be offside in them, not because the player was offside.

Konateā€™s back leg caught the Brent player, but not until he had already lost the battle for the ball.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s fair enough and I get that. And think back to those occasions and we were going nuts. Doesnā€™t mean it was a foul though.

Weā€™re still well in the hunt for top 4 but we either need midfield enforcements ASAP or we need to adjust how we set up so weā€™re not relying on this group of midfielders to do what they are currently incapable of doing.

And Keita needs to start. If we get an hour out of him then Iā€™d happily take that.

It comes down to players position in relation to the ball and Mbeumo was in no position to play the ball not side by side but behind Konate, Ibou doesnā€™t dive or milk it but the push/nudge was enough for him to lose balance and fall whilst in possession that is enough for me

No it was much sooner in the window. He moved to Wolves 18th August, Kloppā€™s comments about being wrong were 30th August.