Post Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (EPL 20/9/20 4.30pm)

@ISMF1 keep it going with the pre match threads. Easy one up next.

4 Likes

Salah sprang to my mind and we know what happened next

A piece of piss.

3 Likes

Agreed…in that order.

6 Likes

The stream(s) I got today were stuttering messes. Because of being not so focused on the match, I was not a nervous wrack. Will have to re-watch later to get a better feeling of the match.

Here was based on what I saw with full match interruptions…

When I found out that we had to rely on Fabinho as CB to partner Virg, I was concerned, especially with the speed from the Chelsea’s attack. I was expecting Hendo would have to provide additional defensive coverage, thus taking away our mid-field management. Such concerns were unfounded.

Even before the sent off, I thought that our boys dictated the match well, however, there were not many chances from our boys. It appeared that Chelsea were playing a very patient game and went for counter attacks, which were quite dangerous once they got them. Octopus got some important tackles in to nullified the threats.

I don’t think Ali had much to do, but when he was called upon, what a massive penalty save against a pen taker that others were going ga-ga about.

VVD and Fab were the rock in defence today. Simple, no mistakes, focused. No complacency. TAA and Robbo were great. Robbo were amazing today. I was clapping and had a joyous laugh when he dropped his shoulders, then ran past the Chelsea forward/mid (don’t remember who it was. (see the gif posted on Robbo’s thread - Andy ROBERTSON: 2020/21 ). Our Defence today were impervious.

Hendo, Gini and Baby nullified most of the Chelsea’s threat today. Hendo pinged so many forward balls that caused Chelsea so many problems…and of couse one led to a red card against Sadio. Too bad we lost him at half time, but what a sub Thiago was today. The speed in terms of ball movements, Wow!

For our attack, Sadio was da man. Totally in beast mode. Bobby was a bit quiet, while Mo did what he had to do on the right.

Very happy with the results. Here are my 3 picks

1. Sadio
  2. Fabinho
  3. Ali

Big shout out to Hendo and Robbo. What an introduction of Thiago as well!

4 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQWWiV8zkDw

5 Likes

Even with our midfield riches James Milner comes on and gets thirty minutes in. Nice.

5 Likes

‘thiago 75’ has a nice ring to it imo

quieter performance but i thought mo was sharp & pretty bright again today, now if we could only get bob back in form

2 Likes

Thing is they often say it’s harder to play against 10 but we came out and finished it inside 10 minutes.

I think the message by Klopp is to conserve energy and scoring 3-4 goals might feel good but unless you have to you might as well do what we did.

This season will depend on who manages it best, if some team has gone hell for leather and need that impetus in the final five minutes but can’t find it and yet we can it will benefit us, effectively we had 30 minutes of low intensity football at the end.

12 Likes

Very pleasing.

Clean sheet - excellent, after starting last week a little helter skelter, albeit with a win.
Alison penalty save, very nice.
Fabinho slotted into the defence with aplomb, proper player.
Thiago looked world class. Saw a lot of the ball, great passing, metronome setting the tempo.
Mane - sharp as a tack, superb.
Henderson - more mins under his belt.

Back in yer box Fat Frank. Lovely.

10 Likes

We all know how good Thiago it but my man the match is Firmino.

So, does Kepa get an assist!!! :thinking:

1 Like

@Sweeting. I was also thinking this. Frank has a certain arrogance to him that’s unjustified at the moment. Compare that to what Bielsa did to us and it’s clear that Frank is just an average manager at the moment and Bielsa a truly great one.

Night and day difference from the Leeds performance. We controlled that from start to finish. I was so impressed with Fabinho, he grew in to that game and made Werner look completely impotent. In fact all the Chelsea heads went down after Sadio’s 2nd. They are an arrogant bunch with nothing to back it up yet.

And I loved seeing Thiago play. He’s only going to get better and better the more he plays with the team. He could well turn out to be the EPL signing of the year.

4 Likes

@Sweeting @red_scott Guardian had an article today about the entitlement Frankie feels.

4 Likes

Anyhow what a weekend… Thiago on Friday, Jota on Saturday and then the win on Sunday.

Also one of our toughest games out of the way.

8 Likes

Hey this is new…haven’t been on for a few weeks and I come back to find you have all left home without me!.. :joy:

16 Likes

Great performance from us. Played them off the park…

Mane the star, Mo was outstanding as well. Henderson’s perfectly shaped thru ball changed the game.

Thiago showed what he could do give the extra space of a man advantage in midfield. Exited to see more of him in games when the opponent is actually fighting us for possession

3 Likes