Post Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (EPL 20/9/20 4.30pm)

Coalescing around the toilet bowl at the training ground bog when flushed, yeah. That scoreline massively flatters them. They were always chasing shadows and we always had another gear to go up.

We’re just not the team to go full throttle all the way when the game is won; keep some left in the tank to go again unlike Oil Inc who will hammer away at a clearly beaten opponent to pad the stats and cream a few pants only to lose away at the likes of Norwich the following weekend.

8 Likes

Studying Bobby’s pressing would be a good learning for many. Here maybe Mane knew, but there’ll be numerous occasions he has been really successful and for a reason.

3 Likes

3 points
Fabinho is my MOM we could have been 1-0 twice
2nd half we were pedestrian and had they scored the penalty this might have been tricky
Kieta is playing better than Gini and for the 2nd game subed again !
we are improving and this is the most important thing

1 Like

Haha… Robbo you genius.

7 Likes

My votes went to Sadio, Fabi and Ali

Sorry Thiago, I only had 3 votes… maybe next time :upside_down_face:

This was brilliant to watch, played like champions. Never in doubt

9 Likes

It would’ve been a lot closer of a match if they didn’t get the red card :laughing:. We absolutely dominated them, Thiago was good, but I think he’s just warming up. Mane two goal says a lot about his work ethics and awareness. Very well times goals, that pretty much seal the three pts for us.
I was a little worry when I saw Fabinho playing CB today, knowing how fast Chelsea’s attackers were. Surprisingly, he did a fabulous job :+1::+1::laughing:, he should definitely start more a CB if he can play like today every game. His ability to read plays and stop the ball from reaching the front really minimize the other teams chances. He’s not as quick as Gomez but I think he has more defensive awareness than Gomez.
The team will probably play a lot of youngster mid-week and let’s go on and beat Arsenal next week too :muscle:
YNWA

2 Likes

They keep trying to build up this rivalry, Lampard looks like a schoolboy v’s Klopp.

The best bit about this performance was the hunger, its a big ask to go again after the effort of last season and fuck me do the lads not only seem up to it, they want it even more.

3 Likes

The balls of a player to come into a team this successful, and after one week step on the pitch and say “ok, i’m running this now.”

With the way this season is laid out, it feels like preserving energy by winning games early and shutting them down may be the key to winning the title. This was a perfect illustration of how to do that.

14 Likes

Clinical dispatching of Chelski. What a performance and what a debut by Alcantara, who looked very impressive. I was a bit nervous about this game, but after the first 5 mins I could see that the reds were really up for this. A point to prove perhaps? Anyway great win and something of a statement to the other teams - LFC aint going to give up their title without a fight.

5 Likes

@ISMF1 keep it going with the pre match threads. Easy one up next.

4 Likes

Salah sprang to my mind and we know what happened next

A piece of piss.

3 Likes

Agreed…in that order.

6 Likes

The stream(s) I got today were stuttering messes. Because of being not so focused on the match, I was not a nervous wrack. Will have to re-watch later to get a better feeling of the match.

Here was based on what I saw with full match interruptions…

When I found out that we had to rely on Fabinho as CB to partner Virg, I was concerned, especially with the speed from the Chelsea’s attack. I was expecting Hendo would have to provide additional defensive coverage, thus taking away our mid-field management. Such concerns were unfounded.

Even before the sent off, I thought that our boys dictated the match well, however, there were not many chances from our boys. It appeared that Chelsea were playing a very patient game and went for counter attacks, which were quite dangerous once they got them. Octopus got some important tackles in to nullified the threats.

I don’t think Ali had much to do, but when he was called upon, what a massive penalty save against a pen taker that others were going ga-ga about.

VVD and Fab were the rock in defence today. Simple, no mistakes, focused. No complacency. TAA and Robbo were great. Robbo were amazing today. I was clapping and had a joyous laugh when he dropped his shoulders, then ran past the Chelsea forward/mid (don’t remember who it was. (see the gif posted on Robbo’s thread - Andy ROBERTSON: 2020/21 ). Our Defence today were impervious.

Hendo, Gini and Baby nullified most of the Chelsea’s threat today. Hendo pinged so many forward balls that caused Chelsea so many problems…and of couse one led to a red card against Sadio. Too bad we lost him at half time, but what a sub Thiago was today. The speed in terms of ball movements, Wow!

For our attack, Sadio was da man. Totally in beast mode. Bobby was a bit quiet, while Mo did what he had to do on the right.

Very happy with the results. Here are my 3 picks

1. Sadio
  2. Fabinho
  3. Ali

Big shout out to Hendo and Robbo. What an introduction of Thiago as well!

4 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQWWiV8zkDw

5 Likes

Even with our midfield riches James Milner comes on and gets thirty minutes in. Nice.

5 Likes

‘thiago 75’ has a nice ring to it imo

quieter performance but i thought mo was sharp & pretty bright again today, now if we could only get bob back in form

2 Likes

Thing is they often say it’s harder to play against 10 but we came out and finished it inside 10 minutes.

I think the message by Klopp is to conserve energy and scoring 3-4 goals might feel good but unless you have to you might as well do what we did.

This season will depend on who manages it best, if some team has gone hell for leather and need that impetus in the final five minutes but can’t find it and yet we can it will benefit us, effectively we had 30 minutes of low intensity football at the end.

12 Likes