Post Match: Everton v Liverpool (EPL 17/10/2020 12.30pm)

We do need to be stronger defensively Everton were so powerful in the air, and now without VVD it’s a major worry (damn Pickford.) That offside farce how? HATE VAR. Mané was nowhere near offside. Livid frankly.

A point in the rules which VAR has now wiped out with them highlighting to the nanometer is that being level is onside. I’ve never seen one VAR offside referral show this its either on or offside with the lines.

Haven’t actually seen any positive news how the scans on VVD and Thiago have gone. There are plenty of rumours flying around on social media but nothing confirmed. Anybody heard anything different?

There are far too many variables for these lines to be adjudged accurate, not just the exact moment of ball leaving the passing foot… to the freeze frame and the positioning of the attacking players…
BUT…
from which datum line are these defence and attack lines taken from…?? Is it…
a) A 90deg line that bisects the edge of the pitch the linesman runs along…?
b) A 90deg line that bisects the edge of the pitch from the opposite side… ?
c) A parallel line to edge of the 18yard box… ?
d) A parallel line in relation to the defenders by-line… ?
e) A parallel line all the way back to the attackers by-line… ?
f) A parallel line from the centre-line of the pitch… ?
g) A triangulation size from the corner flag…? and the list goes on etc etc
Any good CAD drawer will tell you that where you have parallel lines drawn… an accurate size can be determined at any two points between them… to a micro-millimetre if needs be…
However… My point being… there are too many variables in the equation that can give a corrupt or incompetent official (for example)… the result they particularly want, as a football pitch and the setting out of the white lines will NEVER be compatible for such accuracies that the VAR set-up hides behind…!!!
Take the ball at Man City not crossing the line by 11mm the year before last… the decision that cost us the points and title of that year…
Did anyone question if the chalked goal-line was the same width as the uprights or slightly wider…?? NO of course not.!
Did anyone question if the by-line was straight as an arrows flight from one corner flag to the opposite one, striking across the two exact points of both uprights in the goal… NO of course not.!
Did anyone measure the diameter of the ball to be over-inflated to a bigger diameter… NO of course not.! etc etc…
When inaccuracies exist because the outer perimeter of a chalked out football pitch is neither square or parallel to any given datum line, then a plus and minus tolerance is always incorporated into the final calculations for both clarity and percentage of accuracy… Do VAR allow for such discrepancies in their verdict… NO of course not… !
That is because if they look for a certain result… they will find it amongst the many variables attached to such an inaccurate landscape to that of a full size football pitch… !
Unfortunately… at the moment, the system is open to manipulation and consequent abuse.

2 Likes

Probably an unpopular post but…
I don’t get all of the Adrian and Gomez bashing
Adrian stepped in for Becker last season and did terrific - no problem with his keeping then - and its not like he’s forgotten since then about how to be a goal keeper (plus I seem to remember his beatification after a SuperCup penalty save) - and Gomez if I remember correctly was part of a title winning team and did pretty well alongside the big man
I understand being frustrated and concerned too (I certainly am the latter) - but good God - these professionals stood up in the season that delivered more joy and happiness to everyone on this Board - I don’t get the bashing
and that’s why I’ll never beat up on young Origi for underperforming - frustrating for sure - but he delivered the goods for us when we most needed them (I’ve the same feelings about Sturridge)

10 Likes

The English game is known for its physicality, and I totally respect that. Physical contact that other leagues wouldn’t allow, happen in the Prem, and for me, it makes it more exciting. But there is a line between good physical contact and just plain endangerment.

The ref failed in his duty yesterday. After VvD went off, the ref kept his card in his pocket for the opening half. This meant that players ordinarily who would be on a yellow, had a free pass to do so again in the second.

1 Like

I totally agree - and then I go back and watch the 1974 Liverpool Leeds Charity Shield match and highlight reels of great Souness “tackles” and I think to myself what a wonderful world

1 Like

We last season were in such supreme form, that we could makeup for lapses by Adrian. In fact, with the form last season, we could make up for Adrian, VAR, ref, all put together.

Adrian did well in parts at the start of last season, but it could be argued that it’s revisionism to think he was terrific. He was slightly better than adequate, which is all we needed last season. There were many posts in thisisanfield dissecting Adrian’s erratic form. There was bad positioning, flapping at crosses, basking in the glory after a save and then messing up the very next action, miskicks, etc.

As for Gomez, the lad has a high ceiling, and it’s expected that he’ll have a few bumps. I have no worries over him. He’s one of the best young CB in the world already. Some people just hate for hate’s sake.

2 Likes

That’s why Maradonna is still held in such (rightly) high esteem. Playing through that period was not for the modern day divers that’s for sure.

Hello admin can you please tell me why 12 hours after I infringed the Likes quota I am still barred from doing so?

2 Likes

I’ve said this before but I have no problem with VAR drawing lines but it hasn’t got the sophistication to pretend that it can be accurately done to determine offsides on such a minute basis (toes, armpits, when was the precise moment the pass was made, have you picked the right moment to freeze the image? etc). By all means attempt to put the lines in those places but make the lines thicker (say each being 3 inches wide). If they cross over each other it’s too close to call and the players are deemed level (therefore onside).

As the technology improves so the thickness of the lines can be reduced.

That to me would be a sensible solution that acknowledges margins of error and gives the benefit of any doubt the right way (attacking side) imo.

The alternative is to pick a more sensible part of the body to determine offsides from such as the players boots (as Souness has suggested).

6 Likes

I think it’s probably a rolling 24 hour thing?

Sorry, that’s simply not true - on both counts.

1 Like

Its a point i made earlier no longer do you see level calls anymore one line is always in front.

Ah OK thanks still don’t understand why this was introduced as it wasn’t implemented in the previous forum I know me and @alrightnow are a bit OTT giving likes?

2 Likes

Cheer up
I will give you a like, :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They should adjust the line to be the centre axis of the body through the players chakras as that’s the true point of whether it’s an advantage…

No, I’m not…

In the previous forum there was a period of time when new joiners had more limited ability to give likes and before that it was based on ‘reputation’ levels. Then that changed about 4 or 5 years ago and likes started being given out like confetti :rofl:

2 Likes

Sorry just to let you know I liked your post haha

2 Likes