Post Match: Everton v Liverpool (EPL 17/10/2020 12.30pm)

You can stick it where the s*n does not shine thug

7 Likes

Your aura is so purple.

It’s really strong.

2 Likes

Horseracing needs to appoint the VAR people. Say goodbye to deadheats.

2 Likes

I have had this discussion on here before. The referee must be the final arbiter in the decision making process. The referee must be accountable. VAR should be saying to the ref, “you need to have a look at this” This NEEDS to happen.
Oliver BTW is by far the best of a bad bunch but he had an ordinary game. Every man and his dog,knew what a derby could dish up and it needed strong refereeing,particularly early in the game.
Also I’d go so far as to say that even if Coote said “nothing to see here” Oliver should be able to trust his own instincts and say "i think i might check this out myself "on the pitch side monitor.
He should be empowered( instructed) to do so by the flogs at PGMOL.
End of alcohol fueled rant.

2 Likes

This is not quite what it seems. Gomez went down because Calvert-Lewin stood on his foot.

4 Likes

Reading through all the media, it seems that VAR did check the challenge (wtf). The Atlantic sums it up as:

“…it came down to the subjective decision of the VAR, David Coote.”

He has no business being a ref.

1 Like

I don’t understand the Gomez bashing, he has been excellent for us for a long time and has had a dip in form but it’s a tough job with Trent always bombing forwards and joe trying to cover and do his own job, Adrian is not very good so that’s understandable :slightly_smiling_face: just look at the first goal yesterday I think I would stop it and I’m a grey haired old man.

4 Likes

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying. :+1:

2 Likes

ESPN are reporting differently saying VAR never looked at the tackle.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this before, in the BL as well - the most elegant way to fuck a team over via VAR is simply by omission.

7 Likes

The fact there are even conflicting reports about the process is pretty concerning, imo.

YA FUCKING KENTS!

1 Like

Coote is in the booth looking at it as we speak!

8 Likes

that he stepped in for becker?
or that he did terrific when he did (10 wins in 10 games started)?

2 Likes

Oh, and since Gomez and Adrian have been mentioned, I’m gonna weigh in.

Adrian
Bad mistake against Atletico. Ouch.
Bad mistake against Villa.
Both come to mind but he has made a contribution to our recent success, including playing in goal for the first eight games last season, and those eight wins gave a solid base to go and win the title. Obviously not the only or even main reason for those wins, but he did his job.
The two mistakes highlighted show he isn’t as solid as previously thought or hoped.
So what do you do? Chop and change? I don’t think it’s come to that, not for back up, at least not yet.
As for yesterday, he parried a few when he might have caught… sign of a goalie playing the percentages and not wanting to let one of those speculative shots spill into the net.
The header… not an error for me. Too close. Too fast. Got his hands up reflexively but it was in before he could properly react and set himself. A save was possible, and it would have been very good to see, but it was not a mistake by him to concede it.

Gomez
I would not exchange him for many central defenders in the Prem. There are 2-3 better, at most, and we have one or two of those ourselves. The lad is fine. Slight issue with a bit of a lull in form, but I’m in the camp that says play, and play your way through it. He has good quality.

I would buy Upamecano ASAP so we can add depth and make sure everyone is on their toes. This also takes into account Matip’s injury record and the fact that we look a bit short back there, especially with Van Dijk’s injury.

But Gomez is a good player. Van Dijk and Laporte are better, then maybe, maybe, one or two others are debatable as to who is better, but Gomez is alright. If Virg is out for a spell, time to shine again lad. And I think he will.

7 Likes

Agreed
But we ALL prefer to get likes from you than @Alright_Now :grinning:

2 Likes

wow…
as I watched all of this yesterday I was thinking so OK VVD is offside…what would have happened if Pickford or anyone else had come over and then stamped on him - or blatantly kicked him - would there have been no red card then 'cuase he was offside?!

The reason why some are calling it a mistake is because he actually got his hands up. He did well to react at all. I think people would be more forgiving had he just stood there.

The one that got me was the near post save when he gets his fists up and it cannons out. The commentators were all ‘that was shaky goalkeeping’. It wasn’t. It was just what most keepers do. A clear example of the narrative driving opinion.

8 Likes

While I agree with the Gomez point and disagree with the Adrian point - I have to support you on both as i too am a card-carrying grey haired old man (although I think I’m about to graduate to white-haired within the month if we don’t get back to our winning ways)

3 Likes

A) That he did terrific when he did - he didn’t. He was pretty awful and not just in the league, and

B) That people didn’t have a problem with his performances - they did.

He was fortunate that the team did well to limit the occasions he was needed because when called upon he was too often pretty poor. In those 10 league games he made errors that led to goals in at least three of them.

2 Likes

Good shout about Upamecano

1 Like