Post match: Everton v Liverpool (EPL 3/9/22 12.30pm)

Nothing wrong coming up against a team that frustrates us and still forcing their keeper into 8 saves and another one hitting the post.

What is a bitter pill to swallow is being outworked, out fought and out-desired. No excuse for that, especially in a Derby against a side as shite as them as those effort based things are the only ones they can go toe to toe with us on.

The midfield is the midfield at this point. Carvalho isn’t an 8. Great to bring on in that area when we’re chasing a goal, not the right option to start alongside Elliott who we’re already in danger of running into the ground. But, with options thin on the ground then needs must.

Not sure why we’ve bought a focal point for the attack, someone big and who is good in the air and then stopped crossing the ball. For some reason the width down the right is coming from Salah with Trent playing inside him. Blunts both of them and leaves Nunez with not much service into the box. Also odd to drop Bobby when he’s in his best run of form in about two years and that midfield could have done with his help dropping a bit deeper and pulling their CBs about a bit more.

Not sure if this is all deliberate but already feels like a transition season. Diaz and Nunez into the front three, Elliott into the midfield and waiting on next summer to put Milner out to pasture and bring in a new linchpin in the centre of the pitch.

Whatever is going on, the senior lads need to do a bit more to lift the younger and newer lads. Diaz and Elliott have probably shown the most fight in recent games but the likes of Trent, Virg, Robbo, Fabinho and Mo looked frustrated and despondent with things at the moment and it’s not helping the general mood.

2 Likes

Stop it. He was beaten all ends up on the Diaz one, but the other 2 he got hands to. He is a prick and he’s over rated, but he is solely responsible for preventing a bad Liverpool team putting 3 or so on them today.

9 Likes

This is how I saw it.

I don’t think it was particularly bad performance or result and if Carvalho is ok we got out of it with the squad on the day intact.

I liked Firmino in the CM and it should have been what we started with. Milner at right back is a no no so the sooner Ramsey can start his Liverpool career the better.

I do seem to be in a bit of a minority that I don’t think we are that bad and that we could have won that match. It’s better than Fulham and Palace and if I honest also Wednesday in terms of what we created.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

Welcome back; pity you didn’t get a better result to mark your return.

13 Likes

This.

Seemed like VAR was checking ti see if they could somehow allow the goal, with the focus on MIlner’s lunge. Then the lines they showed were relatively far apart.

A bottle then thrown at Klopp, and some fool running on to the pitch in celebration - but all he can celebrate is a ban from the stadium.

4 Likes

Aye. We don’t call Alisson lucky when he’s in the right position to make those saves seem effortless. Hate him but he kept them in this one today.

1 Like

He probably did it on purpose.

I think Jürgen’s post-match press conference posted by @Livvy is quite illuminating. He speaks about how the starting position that we have with Salah and Diaz was right, but they weren’t taking the right opportunities to move in, especially today.

2 Likes

Prickford would’ve struggled with that deflected looping shot that Ali saved. Excellent technique with quick adjustments of his feet when backpeddling, to get in position to tip it over.

Prickford would’ve taken just a step and flailed.

Prickford played really well, fair play. But he made a meal out of some, like that ball hit straight to him, where he palmed it out for a corner. Ali would’ve simply collected the ball by grasping it against his chest with his arms.

2 Likes

Tactical set up lacking
Desire lacking

Much much much room for improvement…

He got fingertips to two of them. Good saves.

1 Like

Awful. Just mediocre all round. Another two points dropped. Woeful start to the season.

As for Milner coming off the bench, not sure what he offers. Such a poor performance. But this also comes back to recruitment, the need to get rid of certain players and proper investment in the squad.

1 Like

The one from Maupay was deceptively impressive as well. When you focus on just him, he has a good amount of momentum going to his left (the right of the screen), but he managed to stop it instantaneously and get his feet and body set. Had he not done that the space to his right that Maupay went for would have been wide open. In the end the striker is criticised for a weak finish, but on reflection, when viewing it from his PoV, with Ali going so hard to the other side as ball approaches him you can see why he went the way he did

1 Like

Not only that, Milner should not be in a position that he is ever needed to play again. For the third time — cc: FSG.

Holy shit Toney just banged in a worldie free kick. Not us, but it made me feel in general better about today.

1 Like

Thanks mate.

Yeah , bit of a shame about the result.
We will get through these times as well, just the team needs more love and support.

1 Like

We did enough to win the game and score a few goals.

Draw away there isn’t the worst but there is some concerning performances from some.

Hopefully Fabio is nothing serious.

2 Likes

Not a great result at all, but having started being a fan in '07 for many years these kind of days were usually accompanied by the reminder that we’d won a single Carabao Cup in my time as a fan and looked miles away from remotely challenging for anything bar the odd top-six game.

We’ve had our days in the sun and this year may be shady, pun fully intended. However, unlike other times where we’ve gone off the rails, I do think we are in our best position to get right back in a year or two. The injuries have probably set us back far enough to not be able to challenge for the title (in September, no less!) which is disappointing, but nobody can be excellent forever — even City had a transitional year. Just need to be realistic about where we are.

2 Likes

I don’t think we were that far off. Obviously we lack a little in quality in midfield but it was a typically Klopp team set up and we created enough up front that on a good day, we’d have won comfortably. They had one good chance and that and most of the other chances came about because we let them in.

I find Trent’s throw-ins annoying as he takes too long and his general play too disjointed - he is either way out of position or making last ditch chalanges to bail out VVD or Gomez… Salah seems a peripheral figure for most of the games we’ve played so far and I’m not sure how he fits into the shape of the team be honest - either we’re too early into trying to find a new shape or as he is being deployed as normal and is just too predictable. Harvey seemed a bit lost today while Carvalho is still trying to find out how he fits into the game. VVD is off his game and need to sort it out. Gomez was good on the whole but he lost a couple of duels that on another day could have been costly.

1 Like

My FPL striker :weary:

Well at least that’ll be a decent weekend if you’re playing, he’s on a hat-trick! :wink:

2 Likes