Post match: Everton v Liverpool (EPL 3/9/22 12.30pm)

Players are fine imo. The side is a bit imbalanced but the quality is there. tactically we aren’t there at all. Too rushed, too frantic.

Slow it down a touch, work different angles and change pace. Don’t try the impossible hero pass, push and pull defences out of shape rather than trying to bludgeon them.

Still frustrated by what I’m seeing this season.

Draw was about right although we finished strongly as they tired. Typical Derby but with more goal mouth action than usual. I’m not having that Pickford was so amazing. He makes routine saves look like great saves because of his poor positioning and tiny arms.

Our record without Thiago in the midfield these last 2 seasons is very ordinary so he can’t come back quick enough. I think we will improve then. A 19 year old and another who turned 20 last week in the starting midfield says it all really. Our options are very limited. Up front we obviously haven’t worked out how Mo, Nunez and Diaz are meant to play with each other. We’ve gone from a front line that blended seamlessly to one that rarely links up and where 3 players are operating on their own little islands. Mo was so peripheral until the last 5 minutes that he may as well not have been on the pitch. I didn’t think we were terrible but at the same time we are still generally unconvincing and there are too many key players who are way off form.

7 Likes

With the lopsided midfield set-up in the second half, Fabinho had to work overtime. He’ll be needed in Italy against Napoli, so hopefully he can recover quickly.

Anyway, Klopp has more than earned the right for a transitional season. A lot to play for, no point giving up. Old adage of a game at a time, and see where we end up.

1 Like

If there’s any day to watch this on repeat, it’s today. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hit the post 3 times, had a shitload of other chances and yet the best player was the goalkeeper, a centre back and Firmino in the 2nd half. That pretty much describes Liverpool so far this season.

I don’t understand what we’re trying to do anymore. There is no fluency, no link up play, there is nothing working. Wrong setup, mindless passes with little chance of success, almost no movement off the ball unless it’s Elliott, stupid giveaways around the edge of the box. No counterpressing of any sort. For a team’s whose supposed identity is intensity, right now it’s well short of it. The only periods when we looked good was when they got tired and started playing at our snail’s pace. Everton who last season at Anfield parked a doubledecker bus with less than 20% possession, this time around not only were confident enough to have a proper go, but for large periods they more than matched us.

Also team defending as a whole has taken a nosedive. They had back to back counterattacks from our corners that almost resulted in a goal. It’s mental how easy everyone seems to play through us, how much time and space they have with the ball. I think that the first time we pressed successfully higher up the pitch was at the beginning of the second half with Firmino.

2 wins in 6 and we look like a worn down team that hasn’t a clue about what to do and how to do it. I’m dreading Napoli at midweek.

2 Likes

That’s the worry.

We could copy and paste that comment into pretty much every post-match thread for ages now.

Except for those that we actually did win comfortably, obviously.

3 Likes

Just read that Bitters’ fan threw a bottle at the Boss. Scumbag.

A beer bottle appeared to be thrown from behind the managers’ technical areas, narrowly missing Klopp.

Also read that the murals have been defaced. Sigh.

2 Likes

Have not seen any of the game but reading this here seems like we were awful but the stats are good. Over 700 messages on the prematch thread i have not read any yet but did anyone say we are winning this? Now your moaning we didn’t win. Unforgivable you lot.

1 Like

PL needs to throw the effing book at Everton.

7 Likes

They are long overdue relegation hopefully this is the year for them

1 Like

That’s the mystery.

We were within one dodgy decision of winning the league last season. And we would have lifted the Champions League but for poor finishing/Courtois having the game of his life.

Yet we seem to have changed the entire game plan for this season. Why?

2 Likes

pitch

What an idiot. Good riddance.

2 Likes

Very predictable headlines I’m seeing.

A headline focus of either it being a hard fought evenish game, or one where Pickford made a series of big saves, reflects the balance of the game. Yet the headlines Im all seeing is of VAR denying everton for correctly ruling out an obviously offside goal.

We really need the eye-roll emoji as a reaction…

I would like to see a face slap emoji, a proper one.

At first sight, it seems puzzling, but we really have to remember that almost our full first-team midfield is out. Klopp has to improvise with the few remaining fit players left in that area, and that has obviously a big impact. Also, the departure of Mané leaves our attack a bit disjointed, which is only too natural, especially with Jota having missed out until now.

I’m sure that we’ll click into gear when some of our key players come back: Thiago, Hendo, Keita. It’s a lot to miss all three at the same time and goes a long way to explain why we look a bit shit right now.

At least, the boys put out a fight today and didn’t lose this derby.

3 Likes

I hear what you’re saying but the players should fit the system.

If Player A is unavailable, you insert Player B. He may not be as good, but he knows what he’s doing.

At the moment, nobody looks like they have any idea of what their exact role is.

I couldn’t be a footballer or manager. If I had a bottle of drink thrown at me I’d be launching that back in the crowd. Could imagine the headlines and bans. Even as a footballer having some fat old man roaring about I’d freak

1 Like

Todays game was hard fought, and we hit post, post, bar, with Pickford making lots of saves too. On the balance of play and chances they should have scored, and we should have had 2-3 more than them.

We haven’t fully got going yet, but I expect us to improve as we go. The team is going through a bit of a rejig and it looks like half a step back before kicking on again to me. On early evidence it is shaping up to be a top four sort of season, rather than a title challenging one, but if that is the case, hopefully we get our act together sufficiently to be coming good by the time the CL gets to the sharp end.

It’s not quite clicking yet, but there’s a lot more to come from this Liverpool team.

3 Likes

Yeah, but at the moment we have player D and player E having to step in for all the injured ones.

Of course, there might be other reasons as you say. Maybe it’s us trying to accommodate Nunez a bit too hard and him taking time to adapt? No wonder as he has been out for so long now with his red card.

1 Like